Low flying planes near highways

Started by OCGuy81, September 16, 2011, 09:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2011, 10:34:23 PM
Bluegrass Airport in Lexington has a runway that is awfully close to US 60.

And if I am not mistaken, US 11 tunnels under the runway at the airport in Hagerstown, MD.

US 67 tunnels under a runway at STL also.

OCGuy81

I believe another highway that goes under a runway is WI-38 going under a runway at Milwaukee Gen. Mitchell Airport.  It's been a few years since I've been there, but if I remember correctly, I saw a plane going over the highway that leads to the airport.

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: InterstateNG on September 16, 2011, 04:38:47 PM
Planes landing at Detroit Metro fly pretty close to the ground over I-94.

Not only close to I-94, but the planes also fly low over I-275, Eureka Road, Middlebelt Road, Wayne Road, Vining Road and Goddard Road. Below is a photo taken by me of a plane flying low over the Eureka Road interchange on I-275:

newyorker478

It's inevitable that almost every airport will have at least somewhat low flying planes over nearby Interstates/other highways. There needs to be access to the airport.

andytom

Maho Beach may be the best for public access places, but it doesn't even come close to sitting out on the hammerhead.

JREwing78

Sometimes, they fly a little too low:

Fog may have been a factor in fatal airplane crash on U.S. 131, police say
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/09/fog_may_have_been_a_factor_in.html

andytom

Quote from: JREwing78 on September 25, 2011, 01:50:56 AM
Sometimes, they fly a little too low:

Fog may have been a factor in fatal airplane crash on U.S. 131, police say
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/09/fog_may_have_been_a_factor_in.html

http://maps.google.com/?ll=42.467341,-85.651552&spn=0.001599,0.003895&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

Looks like the landing threshold was moved closer to the highway recently.  Also doesn't appear to be any type of visual approach slope indicator (pretty standard for small airports).

I have been  more annoyed by small planes especially cropdusters flying too low.I had one pop out right out of a fog bank right above me once. he was apparently using the Interstate as a marker.
I can recall many stories of small planes using roads as landing strips.

MASTERNC

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2011, 10:34:23 PM
Bluegrass Airport in Lexington has a runway that is awfully close to US 60.

And if I am not mistaken, US 11 tunnels under the runway at the airport in Hagerstown, MD.

And I-81 is near a runway.  There are signs for low flying planes and the red runway indicator lights on poles border the highway

roadman65

The Tampa International Airport has a runway so close to FL 580 that traffic signals have to be side mounted at an intersection near the runway start.  This is not so the signals will get hit by a 747, but its in the instrument path of the planes.  

I-95 and I-78 are very close to EWR in Newark, NJ.
FL 528 is close to the runways at MCO in Orlando, FL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.