News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Signage/Gantries Off Kilter

Started by architect77, October 02, 2011, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

I can tolerate a lot of highway visuals that are less than stellar, but this new HOT lane gantry in Atlanta isn't one of them. I plan to contact GDOT in hopes of getting this thing a bit more leveled. While of course the roadway is crowned, the planes of the gantry to the road are going in different directions. It looks something out of Hee-Haw or Green Acres. This thing needs to be fixed.

I still don't understand NCDOT's magic touch, but I swear no matter how crowned or steep or curved, they consistently erect these things almost perfectly, seemingly perceptionally level from all angles....

Brandon

Quote from: architect77 on October 02, 2011, 10:21:38 PM
I still don't understand NCDOT's magic touch, but I swear no matter how crowned or steep or curved, they consistently erect these things almost perfectly, seemingly perceptionally level from all angles....

I believe the magic is called a level.  GDOT might wish to send a soothsayer to NCDOT to learn about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CL

How about mast arms?

Compare to proper execution (the signal immediately behind the state highway shield):
Infrastructure. The city.

architect77

Mast arms are a different beast, but interesting. Half of mast-arm poles purposely use an angle to reduce the bending moment forces at the connections and help with the weight of what it's holding up, such as California style.

I always expect any mast arm to flair a little, because as it tapers, it's more vulnerable to the wind, etc. All your examples look perfectly ok to me.

roadfro

^ Even straight mast arms are usually installed at a bit of an angle, to help with the moment forces as described.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mukade

I can tolerate a lot of highway visuals that are less than stellar, but this new HOT lane gantry in Atlanta isn't one of them. I plan to contact GDOT in hopes of getting this thing a bit more leveled. While of course the roadway is crowned, the planes of the gantry to the road are going in different directions. It looks something out of Hee-Haw or Green Acres. This thing needs to be fixed.

You're forgetting that all things Jimmy Carter must be on the far left.

Brian556

There used to be some older traffic signals in Dallas that were leaning really badly, but they have been replaced.
This railroad crossing in Dallas has since had it's signals replaced, but only because the rail lne was upgraded for commuter use.

CL

Quote from: architect77 on October 03, 2011, 12:43:32 AM
Mast arms are a different beast, but interesting. Half of mast-arm poles purposely use an angle to reduce the bending moment forces at the connections and help with the weight of what it's holding up, such as California style.
[California mast arm]

I always expect any mast arm to flair a little, because as it tapers, it's more vulnerable to the wind, etc. All your examples look perfectly ok to me.

Sure, it'll bend downward the longer the arm is, but when it begins to bend downward it looks a little sloppy, or at the least poorly installed and designed. To prevent this it should be installed at an upward angle, as it is in my third example.

For the record, Utah uses the California-style (curved) mast arm much more often, but the straight ones are used when the arm needs to extend a great distance.

This is all slightly off-topic, but I think no one will mind.

jwolfer

I dont have a pic but coming into Florida on I-95 the gantry for the weigh station sign has subsided in the marshy soil( imagine that in FL) so it angles down toward the road.  It has been that way for at least 10 years and the sign has even been replaced. 

It annoys me every time I see it

formulanone

It's so when the sign fades in 10 years, the gantry smacking up against the top of the cab will serve a similar notice.

Just about every traffic signal mast arm in the state dips in some way or another.

architect77

Quote from: CL on October 03, 2011, 10:30:10 AM
Quote from: architect77 on October 03, 2011, 12:43:32 AM
[California mast arm]
Very elegant.

Sure, it'll bend downward the longer the arm is, but when it begins to bend downward it looks a little sloppy, or at the least poorly installed and designed. To prevent this it should be installed at an upward angle, as it is in my third example.

For the record, Utah uses the California-style (curved) mast arm much more often, but the straight ones are used when the arm needs to extend a great distance.

This is all slightly off-topic, but I think no one will mind.

Ian

Maryland is starting to use those California style arched traffic signal mast arms as well:

I think it's a good thing, because now this is less of an issue:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael

What happened to the mast arm in that second picture?!

Ian

Quote from: Michael on October 03, 2011, 06:45:02 PM
What happened to the mast arm in that second picture?!

I guess all the weight from the traffic signals at the end of it made it bend.
Youtube l Flickr

CL

Quote from: formulanone on October 03, 2011, 12:35:53 PM
Just about every traffic signal mast arm in the state dips in some way or another.

Nevada and Idaho seem to get it always right:

Not my photos.

I wish Utah would do it like that. I like the curved mast arm, but straight masts are usually not very well executed.

Ian

It appears as if Nevada and Idaho mast arms seem to be tilted very slightly upward instead of directly perpendicular to the main support pole like other states do, which might explain how they are able to stand.
Youtube l Flickr

KEK Inc.

Back on topic...  I think that Oregon is rather infamous for its slanted signs on gantries.  The only state where it doesn't seem to be an issue is in California, since for the most part, the signs are the height of the gantry. 
Take the road less traveled.

architect77

These in Atlanta look good to be rectalinear:

roadfro

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 03, 2011, 07:54:31 PM
It appears as if Nevada and Idaho mast arms seem to be tilted very slightly upward instead of directly perpendicular to the main support pole like other states do, which might explain how they are able to stand.

According to NDOT Standard Plans, a standard traffic signal mast arm (or similar pole even for non-signalized use) in Nevada is tilted 5° up from the horizontal. Many other agencies in the state often use or specify NDOT's plans, so most signal installations feature this upward tilt of the mast arm.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MDOTFanFB

Some intersections in Troy, MI also use California-style mast arms, like at Big Beaver and Rochester Roads just north of I-75 exit 67:

http://g.co/maps/h5f8a

SignBridge

A properly built straight mast-arm should tilt slightly upward as it extends out from the pole. One engineering manual specifies a half-inch rise per foot of arm length. And as several photos above show, some installations are much better quality than others.

SignBridge

Maybe 10 years ago New Jersey installed a lot of long straight mast-arms along US-1, between Trenton and New Brunswick. And now quite a number of them are bent downward. Shame on N.J. for not doing better installations. (Chuckle!) Maybe they should have stuck with their tradtional short truss style mast-arms.   

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on October 02, 2011, 11:07:28 PM

I believe the magic is called a level.  GDOT might wish to send a soothsayer to NCDOT to learn about it.

Generally, the horizontal members of properly designed overhead sign supports will have an upward tilt, referred to as camber, built in.  This counters the downward deflection that results when the sign panels are mounted, with the result that the signs will end up in a level plane.

Not sure exactly what GDOT sign structure specifications require, but it looks like somebody messed up.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

architect77

Who should I contact to express my displeasure with the crooked gantry on I-85 in Atlanta? I live practically across the street from GDOT headquarters in Midtown Atlanta, but I wouldn't knwo who to direct my complaint to.

roadfro

Have you tried submitting an email or correspondence via the GDOT website? I would imagine an email sent to a general address would be forwarded to proper individuals.

If the gantry is extremely off, their engineers should check it out for safety reasons.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.