AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: 2026 FIFA World Cup  (Read 10246 times)

NWI_Irish96

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:28:49 PM
    • Travel Mapping
Re: 2026 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2022, 03:22:56 PM »

The last time they did this in The States, didn't FIFA make them put real grass in all the domes they used?

Not just in the dome (there was only one used, the Silverdome) but in the outdoor venues as well. Giants Stadium had an AstroTurf field in normal use and they had to put down temporary grass for the World Cup. While by all accounts FieldTurf is much closer to real grass than AstroTurf is, it almost certainly won't matter. Recall how some of the women's players brought a sex discrimination lawsuit against FIFA for allowing portions of the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada to be played on artificial turf despite requiring real grass for the men's World Cup. I believe they ultimately agreed to dismiss the case and I don't know whether there was a settlement as part of that, but at least two venues for next year's Women's World Cup (Dunedin and Melbourne) will be using hybrid grass that contains artificial fibers. I understand FIFA are still stricter about it as to the men's World Cup, though.

I went to see Dortmund play a friendly at Notre Dame stadium, which is a very nice turf field and the ball just doesn't bounce the same. World Cup should be played on grass, both men's and women's.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 59%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »

It's not just the bounce of the ball. Players get injured more on field turf since it's basically lain on top of concrete.

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:00 AM
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2022, 07:12:45 PM »

I always liked playing on turf more than on grass. Even the nicest grass fields in Wisconsin - the complex in Appleton where club state championships are held - weren’t as enjoyable for me to play on as fieldturf. Obviously professional pitches don’t have traditional grass that just grows from the ground, but at the end of the day I can’t imagine even a partially natural surface being smoother and more pristine than an artificial one.

Of course I’m not requesting for these players to move away from the surface they’ve played on their entire lives, nor am I discounting the elevated injury risk of turf that makes grass ideal.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »

Speaking of which... why can't you easily get to Gillette Stadium from Providence on the commuter rail? They might need a shuttle service from the Mansfield and/or Sharon station to Gillette Stadium if there isn't already one.

And don't triple post.

Another major snub: Phoenix. That's probably because of the heat.

The Cardinals have a retractable roof, unless playing indoors in any manner is another deal-breaker with FIFA (the Cardinals play on grass, so that's not an issue)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2022, 06:07:20 PM »

Speaking of which... why can't you easily get to Gillette Stadium from Providence on the commuter rail? They might need a shuttle service from the Mansfield and/or Sharon station to Gillette Stadium if there isn't already one.

And don't triple post.

Another major snub: Phoenix. That's probably because of the heat.

The Cardinals have a retractable roof, unless playing indoors in any manner is another deal-breaker with FIFA (the Cardinals play on grass, so that's not an issue)

It’s not a dealbreaker, they just require natural grass. kernals12 claims to have me on ignore, so he may not have seen Phoenix was already mentioned further up the thread–or it just doesn’t fit with his narrative.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2022/9/27/23375090/report-2026-fifa-world-cup-final-at-t-stadium-jerryworld-usa-ussf-mexico-canada-usmnt

I missed this when it was reported back in September. While there's no official announcement, there appear to be pretty good sources indicating that the 2026 Final will be played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. The article notes that FIFA wants an indoor location for the final due to potential heat, eliminating MetLife Stadium in the New York area, and some non-specific concerns about the field size at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, as the reasons for eliminating the nation's two largest metro areas as potential locations.

Also worth noting that if the Bears had decided to build a new stadium in Arlington several years ago, they could have potentially been not only a World Cup site, but the host of the final.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2023, 12:33:52 PM »

As qualifying has begun or is about to begin for the 2026 World Cup, FIFA announced that the 2030 World Cup will be held in:

Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Yes, that's right. A three continent World Cup.

I imagine that half the groups play in Europe/Africa, the other half play in South America. Not sure how they pull off the knockout round though.

JayhawkCO

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2023, 12:48:29 PM »

As qualifying has begun or is about to begin for the 2026 World Cup, FIFA announced that the 2030 World Cup will be held in:

Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Yes, that's right. A three continent World Cup.

I imagine that half the groups play in Europe/Africa, the other half play in South America. Not sure how they pull off the knockout round though.

The first three matches are in South America to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first world cup. From then on, everything is in Iberia/Morocco.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2023, 05:32:16 PM »

Whoever has to play in South America will be at a big disadvantage. Transatlantic travel isn't always something you can just recover from in a few days.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2023, 05:50:46 PM »

Whoever has to play in South America will be at a big disadvantage. Transatlantic travel isn't always something you can just recover from in a few days.

I have to imagine that there would be a healthy break after those games. More than just the usual 3-4 days before their next game.

Billy F 1988

• Wyoming born, Montana bred, purely American!

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:57:15 PM
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2023, 10:33:39 AM »

I doubt the U.S. will ever get a shot at ANY World Cup. Everyone else does fine and dandy, but somehow, the U.S. always has to be that laughing stock. The butt of all bad soccer jokes. Their decision-making has been sub-par over these last four to five tours of the World Cup, and they don't have a reliable front line. That's why they always get bumped out during group play and never make it into the main event. The 2026 World Cup won't be any different. An early prediction of an early exit from group play for the U.S.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2023, 10:57:24 AM »

I doubt the U.S. will ever get a shot at ANY World Cup. Everyone else does fine and dandy, but somehow, the U.S. always has to be that laughing stock. The butt of all bad soccer jokes. Their decision-making has been sub-par over these last four to five tours of the World Cup, and they don't have a reliable front line. That's why they always get bumped out during group play and never make it into the main event. The 2026 World Cup won't be any different. An early prediction of an early exit from group play for the U.S.

They made it out of the group stage in 2022.

JayhawkCO

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »

Umm.... do you watch soccer? We haven't gotten eliminated in the group stage since 2006. Granted, we didn't make it in 2018, but the last three times we've made it, we've gotten out of the group. In fact, since 1994, we've only gotten eliminated in the group stage three times.

Out front line isn't perfect, sure, but getting Balogun to pledge to the U.S. is a boon as he is a former Arsenal loanee and just signed for Monaco, one of the biggest clubs in France (well, it's in Monaco, but you get the idea.)

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2023, 11:04:22 AM »

They made it out of the group stage in 2022.

And in 2014, 2010, 2002 (quarterfinals that year), and 1994.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2023, 12:40:28 AM »

The current generation are still young and have a lot of confidence. We're not the joke of the world, not by a longshot. Anyone that watches this team outside of the World Cup, where they have to grind out results in front of hostile crowds and in conditions that would make European teams faint, knows they have the grit to carry them forward.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2024, 03:51:35 PM »

Match schedule for the 2026 World Cup has just been released.

There will be 12 groups of four teams (A-L) playing a single round robin beginning June 11. The top two from each group plus the 8 best third place teams will advance to the knockout round, with the final on July 19 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. The third-place match will be July 18 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, FL.

The opening match will be June 11 at Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, with Mexico playing their other group stage games in Mexico City and Guadalajara.

The first match for the US will be June 12 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, CA. The other US group stage games will be in Inglewood and Seattle.

Canada's first match will be June 12 at BMO Field in Toronto. Canada's other two group stage games will be in Vancouver.

The three hosts will all be seeded in their groups, with the top 9 ranked qualifiers being drawn into the other nine groups.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:54:48 PM by NWI_Irish96 »

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Wikipedia
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2024, 04:22:22 PM »

Seattle will host the USMNT a day after Vancouver hosts the CanMNT. I am definitely considering a back-to-back travel day to see both.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2024, 04:42:38 PM »

Seattle will host the USMNT a day after Vancouver hosts the CanMNT. I am definitely considering a back-to-back travel day to see both.

I have to drive over 7 hours just to get to the closest site (Kansas City). I'll try to get tickets for the final, and if the US has any potential knockout round games in KC, I'll try for those too.

Still think it's ridiculous that they couldn't find one site in or within 4 hours of Chicago to host games.

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:00 AM
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2024, 06:47:24 PM »

For some reason I thought the format was going to be 16 groups of 3, with the top two from each advancing. Must've just been a rumor. I like 12x4 better because everyone gets more games, but the third place seeding is sure to be crazy. We won't know exactly who's all in the knockout round until the last group match has been played.

3 west coast games for the US is not ideal for most of us, but those matches will be incredibly expensive anyway. I can use that money on two NFL games instead with room to spare.

On the (very) off chance that the Bears complete their currently pending new stadium in time, I wonder if Chicago could be worked into the schedule. It's disappointing that the country's third largest city, the hub of the nation's middle third, won't be hosting.

I'm guessing Dallas and Atlanta will be better options than KC in terms of flight and hotel availability and expense, as well as the quality of the teams playing.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 02:23:52 AM
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2024, 06:53:29 PM »

^^ The Bears still hasn't settled on a site and are now considering a site on Chicago's lakefront: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-bears-focus-for-new-stadium-shifts-to-chicago-lakefront/ar-BB1hH3pF
With that, I doubt a new stadium would be completed by then.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Wikipedia
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2024, 07:52:09 PM »

For some reason I thought the format was going to be 16 groups of 3, with the top two from each advancing. Must've just been a rumor. I like 12x4 better because everyone gets more games, but the third place seeding is sure to be crazy. We won't know exactly who's all in the knockout round until the last group match has been played.

3 west coast games for the US is not ideal for most of us, but those matches will be incredibly expensive anyway. I can use that money on two NFL games instead with room to spare.

On the (very) off chance that the Bears complete their currently pending new stadium in time, I wonder if Chicago could be worked into the schedule. It's disappointing that the country's third largest city, the hub of the nation's middle third, won't be hosting.

I'm guessing Dallas and Atlanta will be better options than KC in terms of flight and hotel availability and expense, as well as the quality of the teams playing.

1. The 3-team groups were under serious consideration, but the 2022 World Cup's dramatic group stages allegedly swayed FIFA's hearts. I think the actual reason is that 3-team groups mean that subtle match-fixing can (and would) happen, similar to the infamous Disgrace of Gijón in 1982, where West Germany and Austria played to the exact result needed for both teams to advance at the expense of another group member. As a result, all future FIFA tournaments have the final matchday in a group played simultaneously to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

2. Seattle has historically been neglected because of our distance from European-based players, our stadium turf, and general apathy from USSF to grow the game in an already "good" market. It's great that FIFA remembered that we create some great atmospheres; everyone else in the country can enjoy a nice late-night kickoff.

3. Chicago wasn't willing to pay ball with the financials that FIFA wanted, so having a completed new stadium would not change the decision. It's pretty much final now.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2024, 07:25:08 AM »

One thing unique to a World Cup in the US (even without adding in Canada and Mexico) is the large distances between host cities. Even larger countries like Russia and Brazil had their sites much closer together.

In the 2016 Copa America, teams were sent coast to coast for group stage games and complained about the physical impact on players. For this World Cup, the organizers agreed to keep teams in geographic regions for all their group stages, so the US and the rest of their group will be based on the west coast. The lone exception is Canada, who volunteered for the extra travel in order to play at both Canadian sites.

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:17:40 PM
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2024, 05:59:00 AM »

Glad to see that Gillette Stadium will get a slate of games.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.