AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Formula 1 racing chatter!  (Read 48862 times)

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
Re: Formula 1 racing chatter!
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:20 PM »

Yeah, 2019 seems to be very short notice.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 04:42:58 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:05 PM »

Back in the 70s, F1 had Grand prixs at Watkins Glen & Long Beach. Watkins got the USGP title, Long Beach was called USGP West.
So there is precedence if Miami wants to be USGP South, or just the GP of Miami (or Florida)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »

Back in the 70s, F1 had Grand prixs at Watkins Glen & Long Beach. Watkins got the USGP title, Long Beach was called USGP West.
So there is precedence if Miami wants to be USGP South, or just the GP of Miami (or Florida)
Grands prix. (:

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »

I got an e-mail today advertising the new F1 TV Pro service. Problem is, I'd have to watch it on my PC or iPhone (my iPad is older and thus incompatible). No way to watch it on the TV (yet). That's a non-starter for me.

I've noticed that the ESPN broadcasts are hit-or-miss as to showing up on my DVR's to-do list. Have to check constantly, even though I have the auto-recording set up, and some weeks I've had to add it manually. Been a nuisance. That's one reason I might, and I emphasize "might," consider F1's service, IF and only if there were a way to watch it on the TV.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »

Miami has approved the plans for the street race, and Lewis Hamilton has offered to tweak the design of the track.
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/23463680/miami-approves-plans-2019-formula-one-street-race

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2018, 10:16:33 PM »

Was it the track temperature that took its toll today in Austria?
C-o-H

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »

In regards to the tyres blistering, yes.
As far as the other issues, hydraulics, engines, transmissions, that's hard to say with those items being required to last multiple races.

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: Today at 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2018, 06:45:36 AM »

In regards to the tyres blistering, yes.
As far as the other issues, hydraulics, engines, transmissions, that's hard to say with those items being required to last multiple races.

And the Mercedes teammates didn't try to ram each other off the track, unlike two years ago.

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 09:11:30 PM »

I apologize for the massive bump, but since this is just a general F1 thread, it probably makes sense.

My family and I used to be huge fans of F1 back in the 2000s, but I've been on a total F1 kick on YouTube with everything from highlights and Top 10s, to memes as of late, and the 2021 season is scheduled to kick-off next weekend in Bahrain. Anyone on here still interested in the sport, or is it just a Hamilton-takes-all borefest?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

Takumi

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »

I apologize for the massive bump, but since this is just a general F1 thread, it probably makes sense.

My family and I used to be huge fans of F1 back in the 2000s, but I've been on a total F1 kick on YouTube with everything from highlights and Top 10s, to memes as of late, and the 2021 season is scheduled to kick-off next weekend in Bahrain. Anyone on here still interested in the sport, or is it just a Hamilton-takes-all borefest?

I’m still watching it. Verstappen set the fastest time in testing last week, leading to renewed hope among some that this will finally be the year he topples Sir Lewis, but I think Mercedes were sandbagging again.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 07:23:40 AM »

I watch it occasionally, but usually I'll just catch up with the highlights. On another forum, we were discussiong how weird it must have been to begin watching the sport last year, and I think that's why it was such a draw for me in the first place: it's a really chaotic sport, though a lot less so over the last 10-15 years.

The new season of Drive to Survive is also now available on Netflix.

I hear the F1 app is terrible for watching the races...but maybe I'm wrong. Is there a way to (legally) watch/stream races later on, like for the next week? (I'm not interested in downloading or torrenting them, to be honest; but I don't want to pay for crap.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:30:05 AM by formulanone »

1995hoo

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 09:54:44 AM »

I usually watch all the races, but last year I didn't watch much. Combination of having other things to do, being bored with it not being competitive, and getting tired of the British commentators' constant Hamilton-worship.

JoePCool14

• My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:30 PM »

I usually watch all the races, but last year I didn't watch much. Combination of having other things to do, being bored with it not being competitive, and getting tired of the British commentators' constant Hamilton-worship.

Some people tend to try and focus more on the midfield competition, as it's more interesting and uncertain as to exactly what will happen. But yes, very tired of Hamilton indeed.

I'm personally interested to see what will happen with Aston Martin and Vettel. Alonso is also returning after two years away. Ferrari needs to make a huge comeback after an embarrassing 2020 season. And finally, Michael Schumacher's son Mick will be joining the grid for the first time at Haas.

Takumi

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 08:29:44 PM »

The midfield will definitely be interesting this year. I expect Ricciardo to finish 5th in the drivers’ standings and possibly even win a race with McMerc. Vettel and Stroll should be good with Aston. Lando is solid. Ferrari and Alpine are wild cards. AlphaTauri should be closer to the rest with the improved (final) Honda engine and a better chassis. Gasly is my favorite driver, and Yuki Tsunoda looks to be the real deal.

I expect the Hamilton worship from the British commentators to continue, especially since he’s been knighted.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2021, 09:48:38 PM »

No worse than the Schumacher/Ferrari borefests of the 00s.

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 07:16:31 PM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2021, 10:23:06 PM »

I feel like the Schumacher/Ferrari borefests were a lot less in your face. I watched a lot of them, but man.  With all respect to Lewis Hamilton who is a great driver, the problems in F1 are in your face.

I took a random sample of 40 years of F1 winners.

1979: Jacques Laffite, Gilles Villenvue, Patrick Depallier, Jody Scheckter, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Clay Regazzoni, Alan Jones

1989: Nigel Mansell, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Theirry Boutsen, Gerhard Berger, Alessandro Nannini

1999: Eddie Irvine, Mika Haikken, Michael Schumacher, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, David Coulthard, Johnny Herbert

2009: Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton, Rubens Barichello, Kimi Raikkonen

2019: Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc

We were on a consistent pace, even in the Schumacher/Ferrari era compared to now.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »

I feel like the Schumacher/Ferrari borefests were a lot less in your face. I watched a lot of them, but man.  With all respect to Lewis Hamilton who is a great driver, the problems in F1 are in your face.

One factor is overall reliability; even the best teams and world champions had an "off day" or two with a bad setup, and probably broke down in the races 2-3 times a year. Seeing Toto Wolff yell and curse when his star driver literally had the flu and they were like 150 points ahead of everyone in the Constructor's Championship made me roll my eyes.

The other would be that the top teams are constantly fiddling and developing their cars for each race; while it wasn't unusual for other teams to develop mid-season upgrades every few races, now they're evolving new aerodynamic parts with each race. Obviously, a team needs a big budget and some engineering skills to keep up with that.

The interesting thing is that the gaps between pole position and last in qualifying or the fastest-to-slowest laps has reduced greatly in the past 20 years, so pure anti-competitiveness can be ruled out. Put it in another words, the cars are closer together; so no matter how "bad" Williams looks, or even past teams teams like Manor/Marussia, HRT, or Minardi were in their waning days, they were still much closer to the front than the worst teams in the 1960s through the mid-1990s.

I took a random sample of 40 years of F1 winners.
1979: Jacques Laffite, Gilles Villenvue, Patrick Depallier, Jody Scheckter, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Clay Regazzoni, Alan Jones

Pretty competitive season; teams were still figuring out ground-effect and they were fortunate that Lotus over-thought the ground effect process in their new car (the "80") to the opposite extremes by which the suction power was too great, and it literally slowed them down. Ligier was good at first, Williams got better, Renault were up/down a lot, but Ferrari was the most reliable (basically the fastest engine with the least amount of ground effect).

1989: Nigel Mansell, Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Theirry Boutsen, Gerhard Berger, Alessandro Nannini

The first year of the new 3.5L formula gave some good variety. Only three winners the year before...

1999: Eddie Irvine, Mika Haikken, Michael Schumacher, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, David Coulthard, Johnny Herbert

Schumacher's broken leg might have helped with that.

2009: Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton, Rubens Barichello, Kimi Raikkonen

Brawn/Honda caught a lucky break but didn't keep developing the car and others figured out how to exploit the blown-diffuser trick.

2019: Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc

We were on a consistent pace, even in the Schumacher/Ferrari era compared to now.

Only 4, but out of 20-22 drivers.

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure Mercedes is just playing the whole "oh no we have worse pace this year" thing and this weekend they are going to once again dominate pole position and probably Hamilton finishing P1. That being said, I would love to see Red Bull be a very strong competitor this year to Merc; also hoping Williams lets Russell get his first points because he deserved them! Hoping the season isn't a total snoozefest; it's shaping up to be more competitive at least from the practice session results.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

formulanone

• latest clinch

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »

I'd like any team to step up or at least make a good fight, but dang it...Verstappen is so very petulant. Good to see Perez in a real top-tier car; but after 2-3 races he has to be on par with or ahead of Max, or Gasly/Albon is getting back in, unless Tsunoda is absolutely phenomenal.

As always, curious to see what Ferrari will do, whether Aston Martin can be a real player or just another Jordan-turned-Spyker, and really interested to see what Mick Schumacher will achieve.

Frankly, my biggest concern is the engine supply and how there's going to be three manufacturers all with their own teams' agendas before the customer teams (though Renault/Alpine hadn't seriously threatened McLaren).

On another note - on this day in 1989, the Ferrari 640 driven by Nigel Mansell won the Brazilian GP, and it was the first for a car with an semi-automatic transmission. Five years later, every car on the grid had them, as the gear changes saved precious fractions of a second on the track.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:39:47 AM by formulanone »

JoePCool14

• My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »

FP1 and FP2 results seemed interesting. Red Bull's Super Max on P1 for both sessions. Of course I'm sure Mercedes are probably still doing a bit of sandbagging. Ferrari though was up to P4 in the second practice which was nice to see. Even if Ferrari still struggle some this year, I hope they don't have another seasons like last year. That was embarrassing.

Takumi

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure Mercedes is just playing the whole "oh no we have worse pace this year" thing and this weekend they are going to once again dominate pole position and probably Hamilton finishing P1. That being said, I would love to see Red Bull be a very strong competitor this year to Merc; also hoping Williams lets Russell get his first points because he deserved them! Hoping the season isn't a total snoozefest; it's shaping up to be more competitive at least from the practice session results.
Russell got points last year in his Merc appearance. I do think he’ll get a few points this year as Williams don’t look as dreadful as they’ve been the past couple years.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:17:45 PM
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2021, 09:52:14 AM »

There have been two important changes to the sport since the Schumi era among many.

Back then cars were refueled during the races giving pit stops more importance than they have now.

More importantly, teams selected their own tires then rather than having to make do with what they are required to use now.  That made a big difference.  To make things worse, low profile tires are coming to the sport.

It is truly a different era.
C-o-H

1995hoo

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »

The other reason the lack of refueling makes a difference is that it takes away some of the strategy. Back then you had to choose–start with less fuel to make your car lighter to get out in front, or start heavier to allow for a longer first stint. Schumacher usually did the latter and put in really fast laps while the other cars were in the pits or were running heavy after pit stops. That strategy did depend on your pit crew executing flawlessly, of course.

JoePCool14

• My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2021, 10:30:41 AM »

Re-fueling definitely added more excitement to the strategies. I understand why it was banned, but it definitely took away something from the sport.

In other news, FP3 had Verstappen on top again, followed by Hamilton, Gasly, Bottas, and Perez.

Qualifying coming up in 30 minutes!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.