News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Long stretches of straight and flat highways

Started by roadman65, October 27, 2011, 08:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I would like to know of any roads 2 or 4 lanes freeway or non-freeway where the road is long, flat, and straight for several miles.

I can name plenty in Florida and Georgia.

US 19 & 27, I think, has the longest from Perry to the Taylor/ Madison Line.  It is so straight  you see the line of trees on both sides of the road come together to where the eye can see.

US 301 from Jesup to Homeland, GA is a long two lane stretch that looks like a long hallway and puts you to sleep.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Australia. The sheep practically count themselves.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on October 27, 2011, 08:08:59 PM
Australia. The sheep practically count themselves.

Never been there, but it would not suprise me after hearing about its flat lands being so vast.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

US 40 between Springfield and Columbus is extremely straight and flat (occasionally swerving around small towns) and has traffic much lighter than that which would require a 4-lane road.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Ian

NJ 72 is very straight and flat west of Manahawkin, NJ. US 98/441 just east of Belle Glade, FL is also could qualify.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

1995hoo

I-75 across the Everglades. First time I drove that (November 2005) I seldom dipped below 100 mph. Things have changed a bit since then, both on that road and in my driving habits.

There is a huge straightaway on the Eyre Highway. I've never been to Australia, though.

Drivers have complained for 70 years about the straightaway on the Pennsylvania Turnpike west of Carlisle. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

FL 710 (A slight bend around Indiantown and another just south of Okeechobee)

FL 70 (between Okeechobee and Arcadia; one surprisingly steep dip just east of the light at US 27)

Most of Tamiami Trail is quite straight from Miami to Naples...a slight kink here and there.

FL 471 is one of the state's few straight-line routes that runs N-S, but it has some elevation changes.

FL 80 doesn't change much in the way of direction, also very flat.

Most boring of all is CR 74 (former FL 74)...absolutely nothing much to see, the road tends to flood, few side roads, and flat, straight, and narrow.

For all intents and purposes, Interstate 95 in Florida is very flat, between Jupiter and Jacksonville, save the overpasses and one hill somewhere around Titusville, and has very few curves or kinks.

And don't think for a minute that Florida's Turnpike offers much between SR 50 and SR 704...there's a reason some of those exits are 40 and 50 miles apart!

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2011, 09:02:04 PM
I-75 across the Everglades. First time I drove that (November 2005) I seldom dipped below 100 mph. Things have changed a bit since then, both on that road and in my driving habits.

It's much more heavily patrolled since around 2007 or so: Florida Highway Patrol used to more or less ignore that road in the past (probably due to it's lack of services), but that's changed. Also, the Miccosukee Indians have a police force now, and they stake out the area around the Snake road exit without fail; usually, there's even 2-3 of them to catch rebounds.

But yes, it wasn't a drive on the 'Alley until you hit triple digits.

Takumi

VA 10 between VA 40 and VA 31 is flat and straight. VA 40 east of Fort Pickett has several straight stretches, but they're slightly hilly between the base and US 301/I-95.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

M-28, Seney Stretch.  Straight and flat for 30 miles across a marsh.  Then there's I-80 west of Salt Lake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

DeaconG

The Beachline between the FL407/528 split and Sand Lake Road-almost ruler straight and flat the entire distance (minus some overpasses at SR 520, Dallas Blvd, International Corporate Park Drive and Narcoossee Road).
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

agentsteel53

I believe there is a 72 mile section of I-80 in Nebraska that is dead straight. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SteveG1988

US2 in north dakota, once you get past the turtle river state park it is practicaly straight and flat with minor curves here and there at 70mph.

US 206 has several streches like this along its length as well in NJ.

US 30 east of hammonton to right before the garden state parkway exit is straight and flat as well. I295 between US322 and NJ48 is flat and straight as well.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

thenetwork

I-40 across Northern Texas.  It was "fun" to see a modest grain elevator in the distance, and then need 30-some minutes to finally pass it!  :rolleyes:

SSOWorld

I-5 in central California (San Joaquin Valley)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CL

I-80 west of Salt Lake City. About a forty-mile stretch of road that is straight and flat.
Infrastructure. The city.

andytom

Quote from: vtk on October 27, 2011, 08:25:34 PM
US 40 between Springfield and Columbus is extremely straight and flat (occasionally swerving around small towns) and has traffic much lighter than that which would require a 4-lane road.

That's all there was in 1970 before they built I-70 through there.

vtk

Quote from: andytom on October 28, 2011, 09:53:19 PM
Quote from: vtk on October 27, 2011, 08:25:34 PM

That's all there was in 1970 before they built I-70 through there.

Yeah, it was widened in the 40s I think.  I'm sure a 4-lane road was justified then, but today it's quite deserted.  Add that to the straightness and flatness, and you have a road so plain it's eerily interesting.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2011, 08:08:13 PM
I would like to know of any roads 2 or 4 lanes freeway or non-freeway where the road is long, flat, and straight for several miles.

The Governor Ritchie Highway section of Md. 2 between Arnold and Glen Burnie is not flat, but it's pretty close to being arrow-straight over a distance of over 10 miles.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

The mainline of the New Jersey Turnpike features several long and very straight segments between Deepwater/Delaware Memorial Bridge (Exit 1) and New Brunswick (Exit 9).

The straight segments seem to be more "noticeable" along the (mostly) unreconstructed four lane segment of the Turnpike between Exit 1 and Exit 4 (N.J. 73/Camden).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

adt1982

I-55 from just north of Litchfield, IL, to just south of exit 88, south of Springfield, (so roughly 33 miles I think) is not flat but it is completely straight.

roadman65

Quote from: DeaconG on October 28, 2011, 08:59:14 AM
The Beachline between the FL407/528 split and Sand Lake Road-almost ruler straight and flat the entire distance (minus some overpasses at SR 520, Dallas Blvd, International Corporate Park Drive and Narcoossee Road).

There is a curve just east of Narcoosee Road.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.