News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Reflector Positioning Variation by State

Started by KEK Inc., December 26, 2011, 09:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

What reflector position do you think is ideal? 

Outline (unofficial terminology)

Inline

Do any states do things differently with the cat-eye reflectors? 

In Washington state, some counties actually use the California model for reflectors on rural roads.  Reflectors should not to be confused with Botts' Dots.
Take the road less traveled.

realjd

Florida is usually similar to your California graphic, except they don't bring the reflector in closer to the center on a |: line. They also usually black outthe side of one set in a situation like that so the direction with the passing zone only sees one line of reflectors at night while the side with the no passing zone sees two lines of reflectors. In areas with high crash rates, they'll often put them in sets of at least three accross, as seen in this video of the 7-mile bridge in Marathon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJDGw6fDwKo
(which also proves that, if you can think of it, the Internet has a video of it)

The city I live in often puts them on the double yellow line itself on city maintained roads.

Scott5114

Reflectors...on...two...lane...roads? I...don't...understand...

Yeah, in Oklahoma, we don't even have reflectors on our freeways, much less the two-lane roads; they were on the freeways at one point but most of them have fallen out or been paved over and ODOT never bothers to replace them. The City of Norman does install them on their roads, and they are generally placed inline.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

That's not what I've typically seen in California, at least not what I've seen in the northern end of the state (I'm thinking US 395 in Lassen County in particular). The spacing of reflectors overall is closer together. Usually, the reflectors aren't indented along one-sided passing sections, and every other reflector is omitted along the broken lines--which serves as an indication that the one side has a broken line.

Representation in text below, as I don't have a nifty way to do graphics. Assume the periods on the right remain aligned vertically.

.||.
.||.
.||.
.| .
.||
.| .
.||
.| .
.||
.| .
.||
  |
  |
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

To reply on the original question: Nevada typically doesn't use the reflectors on most two-lane highways. If they do, it tends to be an all raised pavement marker approach.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Illinois uses two systems.  One, used typically downstate and in IDOT Districts 2 and 3 is the "Washington-Oregon" style up above.  IDOT District 1 is more like the California example above with a slight difference.  The side with the no passing zone will continue to view the line as if it is a double yellow line, but the opposite side with a passing zone will see only one set of reflectors as if there were only dashes between the lanes.  All reflectors are embedded into the pavement with metal brackets around them to prevent them from being plowed up when the snow flies.

In addition, any embedded side reflectors will be white on one side and red on the other.  If you are driving at night and see red reflectors, you are most definitely going the wrong way.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEK Inc.

I know some municipalities use red reflectors on the back of the raised pavement markings, but I don't think Caltrans uses them on the freeways.  Come to think of it, I don't think WSDOT or ODOT (Oregon) use them either. 
Take the road less traveled.

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEK Inc. on December 29, 2011, 05:25:59 AM
I know some municipalities use red reflectors on the back of the raised pavement markings, but I don't think Caltrans uses them on the freeways. 

I could swear I remember an I-5 segment, up in the Siskiyou area, which has them.  but maybe they were just white reflectors which illuminated red because I hit them with my brake lights?

red reflectors on the freeway are, obviously, kinda difficult to spot - and if you spot them, there's a good chance you're Doing it Wrong.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

One other thing I've noticed is that some DOTs (and districts) will alternate one dash for every reflector.  Some, like IDOT District 1, have a different system.  They have a dash followed by two in-line reflectors followed by a dash and then no reflectors.  Then they repeat the cycle.  At night, the lines on the road appear longer than during the day.

We also tend to use side marker reflectors here mounted on posts about 3 feet or so high at the right edge (or in the case of ISTHA, the left side as well) of the shoulder.  They're fairly consistent throughout the Midwest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

I know some municipalities use red reflectors on the back of the raised pavement markings, but I don't think Caltrans uses them on the freeways.  Come to think of it, I don't think WSDOT or ODOT (Oregon) use them either. 

The white on one side/red on the other reflectorized pavement marker is standard procedure in Nevada on any road or highway where raised pavement markers are used for a white line--they're all over the freeways, divided highways, and major arterial roadways in the Las Vegas area. I'm fairly certain CalTrans uses them as well.

The red side would be much harder to spot as one travels in the correct direction of travel...

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2011, 09:39:15 PM
We also tend to use side marker reflectors here mounted on posts about 3 feet or so high at the right edge (or in the case of ISTHA, the left side as well) of the shoulder.  They're fairly consistent throughout the Midwest.

Guideposts are a common sight in many western states as well. In Nevada, it is typical for all rural highways to have reflectors attached to guideposts positioned just off the edge of pavement--on both sides if it's a divided highway. In some cities and urban areas in Northern Nevada, guideposts are even used along some state-maintained arterials with curbs (this aids in locating road edge during heavier snows).

No matter the area, if a roadside barrier such as guard rail, cable barrier or a jersey wall is present, reflectors are attached to the barrier as well (typically at even shorter intervals than the guidepost spacing).

myosh_tino

Regarding the white/red reflector pavement markers, the 2010 California MUTCD says the white/red markers are to replace the standard white reflectors in groups of four 300 feet, 1/2 mile and 1 mile before an exit ramp.

See Figure 3A-102(CA) in the 2010 California MUTCD for a more detailed drawing.  With that said, I would rather see the white/red reflectors used all of the time to warn drivers they are, as Agentsteel53 says, "Doing It Wrong".  :-D
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadfro on December 30, 2011, 05:15:26 AM

The white on one side/red on the other reflectorized pavement marker is standard procedure in Nevada on any road or highway where raised pavement markers are used for a white line--they're all over the freeways, divided highways, and major arterial roadways in the Las Vegas area. I'm fairly certain CalTrans uses them as well.

The red side would be much harder to spot as one travels in the correct direction of travel...

I'm fairly certain white/red reflectors are used on freeways in Washington.

Takumi

Tonight when I was on US 460 in Sussex County I noticed the white-red reflectors were in between dashed white lines, with the yellow ones used around the double yellow line. Once I hit Prince George County they weren't as consistent, especially between the PG-Sussex line and Disputanta.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Michael

I can't recall seeing reflectors in the pavement here in Central NY.

As for red reflectors, there's a section of the NY Thruway near Rochester with double sided red reflectors along the right shoulder, visible in both the correct and wrong directions, along with the normal white reflectors. (Street View)

roadfro

Quote from: Michael on January 01, 2012, 07:40:19 AM
As for red reflectors, there's a section of the NY Thruway near Rochester with double sided red reflectors along the right shoulder, visible in both the correct and wrong directions, along with the normal white reflectors. (Street View)

The red reflectors on a post like that, especially if double sided, may not necessarily be for drivers. I believe some areas use reflective devices like this to somehow deter animals from entering the roadway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.