News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Monetizing the roadway

Started by roadvalue, January 05, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadvalue

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum. Does anyone on this forum have any experience or insight into the push to monetize the roadways through the use of sponsorship signs and other sponsorship applicable services provided to travelers?  Or are there any companies people on this forum that have sponsored certain roadways in states?

Takumi

Welcome. This would be the first I've seen such a topic discussed on here.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

State Farm sponsors motorist assist services on the PA Turnpike, and a few other places too, IIRC.

A bank sponsors the E-ZPass lanes on the Mass Pike.

Maybe I was dreaming, but seems like I once heard of a proposal to turn over maintenance of a Louisville street to Yum Brands if, in exchange, they could paint KFC logos on the pavement or something similar.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

The Massachusetts thing is "Citizen's Bank Fast Lane." Fast Lane was their ETC system prior to integration into the E-ZPass system.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SidS1045

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 05, 2012, 09:30:49 PM
The Massachusetts thing is "Citizen's Bank Fast Lane." Fast Lane was their ETC system prior to integration into the E-ZPass system.

FastLane was integrated into E-ZPass long ago, but the Citizens Bank signs are still up at this point.  They will be coming down soon, if MassDOT sticks to their timetable.  Apparently the feds were leaning on MassDOT to remove the bank's signs, saying that having advertising signs on the road was illegal (apart from logos on motorist-services signs).
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

deathtopumpkins

Citizens Bank's sponsorship ended recently anyway.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadfro

Sponsorship signs are not allowed on roadways per MUTCD. The only things that are okay are the motorist service signs and "Sponsor A Highway"/"Adopt A Highway" litter removal sponsorships.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ClarkE

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2012, 09:07:55 PM
Maybe I was dreaming, but seems like I once heard of a proposal to turn over maintenance of a Louisville street to Yum Brands if, in exchange, they could paint KFC logos on the pavement or something similar.

KFC paid to fill a few potholes and put their logo on top in chalk. Never heard anything about expanding the program after the initial press rounds. Here's their press release about it: http://www.kfc.com/about/newsroom/032509.asp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.