News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road trips on old roads

Started by cbalducc, January 19, 2012, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 17, 2012, 09:30:26 PM
Theres multiple alignments of the LH in every state (it goes through)
Except Colorado and West Virginia, presumably.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bsmart

Main street through our town is the old National Road , Alt 40, the original alignment of US 40.  If my wife talks me into going up to Pennsylvania Dutch country we use US 30 the old Lincoln Highway from Gettysburg to York where it picks up a new alignment

bigboi00069

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 19, 2012, 06:38:56 PM

he did.  part of the standard agreement.  blessings for the Romans, locusts for the Israelites.

please explain...

roadman65

Orange Avenue in Orlando, FL counts as the old US Routes in Orlando.  Pre Orange Blossom Trail (which is the place where all three US Routes in Orlando are designated) they were aligned along Orange Avenue (and preexisting Old Dixie Highway).  I have traveled that numerous time.

When I lived in NJ, I used NJ 27 (the Lincoln Highway) a lot.  NJ 28 was the precursor to US 22 (and was at first) and been on that in pieces numerous times too. 

The Old Tampa Highway in Osceola County, FL (been on plenty of moments) was the old road before US 92 and in nearby Polk County is the Lee-Jackson Highway that was part of that as well in which I used between Haines City and Auburndale once.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Michael

I had the idea of starting a similar thread about roadtrips without Interstates (unless the Interstate directly replaced the old highway, like I-86/NY 17, mentioned below) quite a while ago, but this is close enough (I guess cbalducc beat me!).

When I go from Auburn, NY to Selinsgrove, PA I prefer going NY 34 to NY 13 to I-86/NY 17 to US 15* rather than to Cortland (there's a few different ways to get Cortland), getting on I-81 to I-80 to US 11 to US 15.  US 15 is much more scenic than I-81.  If I were driving, I'd pick US 15.  The US 15 upgrades to prepare for I-99 have made that route only about 5-10 minutes longer than I-81 according to Google Maps.  It used to be a half hour or more longer.  I can't confirm that because I never was on US 15 before the upgrades (with the exception of Steam Valley, that area was under construction when I went through)
*In Williamsport, we always go on I-180 to I-80 back to US 15.  This route is signed as "Alternate US 15".  I'd like to go on regular US 15 sometime.

When we went to Frederick, MD, we left from Selinsgrove on US 15, got on I-81 north of Harrisburg, then I-70 in Hagerstown, MD to Frederick to rejoin US 15 to get to MD 26.

If I ever get my own car and drive to visit my friend who moved to Raleigh, NC, I'd take the route I mentioned above to Selinsgrove, and continue on US 15 all the way to Raleigh, then take NC 55 down to the local road she lives off of.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: NE2 on February 17, 2012, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 17, 2012, 09:30:26 PM
Theres multiple alignments of the LH in every state (it goes through)
Except Colorado and West Virginia, presumably.
There was an alternate route for the LH through Chester, W. Va. due to the bridges.
True about Colorado.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Michael on February 18, 2012, 11:46:14 AM
)
*In Williamsport, we always go on I-180 to I-80 back to US 15.  This route is signed as "Alternate US 15". 

It is? I haven't seen such signage.

I drove US 15 from I-80 to Williamsport last fall. Unfortunately, it was dark when I drove the route so I didn't get to see a whole lot. I'll bet the view down into the valley as you go northbound is pretty impressive in the daytime.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.