News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway Shields and FWHA Colors

Started by Rover_0, February 10, 2012, 04:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I've made a Utah-specific colored shield page, and I've wondered how states get around the FHWA color designations to use a specific color on their state highway signs. Is it something not defined in the MUTCD, or what?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

myosh_tino

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 10, 2012, 04:52:49 PM
I've made a Utah-specific colored shield page, and I've wondered how states get around the FHWA color designations to use a specific color on their state highway signs. Is it something not defined in the MUTCD, or what?
The design and color of the state route shield is not specified in the MUTCD (via a Standard statement).  Instead the MUTCD provides a Guidance statement that recommends a black-on-white shield on a black background.  While the MUTCD doesn't mention any color restrictions using white-on-red, black-on-yellow or black-on-orange is probably not recommended because of confusion with regulatory, warning or construction signs.

California and its cut-out white-on-green miner's spade shield gets around this by deleting the Guidance statement.  In the case of the cut-out US route shields, California deleted the Standard statement specifying the design of the US route shield replacing it with language that specifies the use of the cut-out shield.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.