Routes That Terminate At Identical Numbered Routes

Started by Michael, February 18, 2012, 11:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Can you guys think of routes that intersect routes with the same number at each terminus?  For example, US 15's northern end is at NY 17 (I-86) and its southern end is at US 17 Alternate.  This is the first one I came up with, which gave me the idea for this thread.

I'm sure many Interstate loops will fit this too, such as I-490 near Rochester.  Each end is at I-90 (the NY Thruway).  Another Interstate loop would be I-481, which has both ends at I-81.  The freeway at the northern terminus continues as NY 481 to Oswego.

I can't think of any more without going to a map.

english si

I can't think of that many here, or rather I can't think of many that are aren't just a loop off of one road - either a bypass (eg M2, M20, M23, etc that have both ends on the same-numbered Ax) or a bypassed route (eg the A4251 being the old A41 in Herts).

A526 - M57 to A57 (short link, though M57 and A57 are at right-angles to each other

A404(M) A4 to M4

A8 (if you include the A8(M) and ignore the final quarter-mile into the docks) in Northern Ireland M2 to A2

A101 in NI goes from the M1 to the A1 (short link)

Most of the roads that meet Mx and Ax continue at one or other of the ends, so don't count (eg A361 has one end at the A5, and a hundred plus miles later it meets the M5, only to carry on for another 50 miles; or the A507 - starts at the M1, meets the A1/A1(M) and then goes and spoils it all by ending on the A10)

empirestate

I think you'll find scads of routes that are loops off of another route, so I'd probably restrict it only to those route that end at different highways with the same number, like the US 15 example.

roadman65

US 222 becomes state designations at both ends.  MD 222 and PA 222 and as many seem to continue as a state route at one end like US 3 and US 33.  Then there is CA 95, even though US 95 heads east into AZ, CA 95 continues its CA corridor.

FL 17 ends at US 17 in Haines City, FL.  Although it is a route like FL A1A, in many segments.  I believe this is the northermost end of the state system for Route 17.  

PQ 132 in Quebec ends at itself in Sainte Flavie, PQ.
ME 198 ends at itself on Mount Desert Island in Coastal Maine.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

US 460 ends at Virginia US 60 at one end and Kentucky US 460 at the other end.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

NC 49's south end is at SC 49, and its north end is at VA 49/96. :p
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Alberta Route 1 begins/ends at BC-1 in the west and Saskatchewan 1 in the east; the latter in turn runs into Manitoba 1. I suppose this doesn't quite fit what the OP suggests, but if Takumi's example qualifies then this would as well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

national highway 1

Quote from: roadman65 on February 18, 2012, 04:52:56 PM
Then there is CA 95, even though US 95 heads east into AZ, CA 95 continues its CA corridor.
There is no such thing as CA 95, it's AZ 95 that continues the highway north of Quartzsite while US 95 overlaps I-10 west into CA.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadman65

Quote from: national highway 1 on February 18, 2012, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 18, 2012, 04:52:56 PM
Then there is CA 95, even though US 95 heads east into AZ, CA 95 continues its CA corridor.
There is no such thing as CA 95, it's AZ 95 that continues the highway north of Quartzsite while US 95 overlaps I-10 west into CA.

Thanks for clearing that one up.  I really got a case of the dislexcia.

Sheryl Crowe

kendancy66

I think that you are thinking of AZ-95, which crosses into CA at Needles as being CA-95.  It is actually signed as AZ-95 even though it is in California.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on February 18, 2012, 06:58:24 PM
US 460 ends at Virginia US 60 at one end and Kentucky US 460 at the other end.
US 460 ends at US 460 in Kentucky?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Yeah, let's limit this to "this route begins at Route X, and ends at Different Route X."

KEK Inc.

BC-97 and US-97. 

I suppose CA-238 and I-238 would work.  There's several instances where California uses state highways to fill in for uncompleted Interstate highways, or routes that don't stand up to Interstate standards.  Such routes could include CA-110/I-110 and CA-210/I-210. 
Take the road less traveled.

empirestate

^that's a different kettle of fish, where a route continues across a state line but keeps the same number, or changes caste, say from state highway to Interstate. It's one of the more common topics in roadsdom and invariably leads to the x90s of New York.

What I'm pretty sure is being sought here is a case involving three different highways: 1) a highway of some caste (U.S., State, Interstate...) or in a certain state; 2) another highway with the same number as #1 but in a different state or caste; and 3) a highway that begins at #1 and ends at #2.

roadman65

Well then US 281, if you look at it one way, fits this category.  The place near Pharr and McAllen where it changes alignment from N-S to E-W to follow the Rio Grande, has a SPUR route that goes to Mexico.  At one  time when approaching the place where US 281 is no longer signed SOUTH, but turns to EAST, you have the spur route heading west with a sign showing US 281 going both ways.   You basically had SB US 281 signed EAST US 281 to the left (the actual continuation) and WEST US 281 signed to the right onto the SPUR US 281. 

At the time you could consider E-W US 281 a different highway than N-S US 281.   Therefore, the southern terminus could be at itself as well as today! Now ( I just visited streetview) the WB US 281 sign was removed as was the original intersection.  Now it is diamond interchange with the East - West US 281 as main body and SB US 281 now becomes TX 600 into Reynosa, Mexico under the overpass. 

If you go to the west in Hildago, TX at International Boulevard on Coma Avenue (the contiuation of Military Highway) there is a WEST US 281 assembly directing motorists to the left on SB International.  Then around the corner on NB International Boulevard, there is a EAST US 281 sign pointing to the right on Coma Avenue.  So this may be an unusual case and fit the topic actually.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

It is an interesting case, to be sure, but it still doesn't fit the topic, assuming I'm reading it correctly. If we look at the south "end" of US 281 as being near Pharr, TX at a separate E-W route, also called US 281, then we next have to go up to the north end of (N-S) US 281, which is in North Dakota. We'd have to look for its terminus there to be at, for example, ND route 281, but it isn't...it's at the Canadian border.

To perhaps reduce the confusion, let's pretend that the E-W part of US 281, along with the spur to Mexico, was renumbered as US 100 (just to tie in another thread). The remaining vast majority of US 281 would now have its southern terminus at US 100 in Texas. If it also had its northern terminus, up in North Dakota, at the imaginary Interstate 100, you'd have a winner!

Now that I think of it that way, since the US and Interstate grids are mirrored, this may well be a clue to finding real-life examples: look for long-distance US highways that span the nation, either N-S or E-W. You might find one that starts, for example, at US 90 down south somewhere, and ends up at Interstate 90 in the north.

vtk

In southern MI, Territorial Rd's ends are at IN 120 and OH 120.  Historically a MSR, currently qualifies for this thread.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Michael

Quote from: empirestate on February 19, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
What I'm pretty sure is being sought here is a case involving three different highways: 1) a highway of some caste (U.S., State, Interstate...) or in a certain state; 2) another highway with the same number as #1 but in a different state or caste; and 3) a highway that begins at #1 and ends at #2.

That's exactly it.  I had a hard time putting it into words.  As I was making the topic, I thought of I-490 and I-481, but you and Steve are probably right, there are probably too many examples like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.