Top 20 reasons corporations choose site for new facility

Started by cpzilliacus, February 19, 2012, 02:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

This graphic is part of a discussion in the Baltimore Sun today about Right io Work states, but that's not why I am posting it here. 

Look at the item at the very top of the list, which is on-topic and could be of interest to readers.

Right-to-work states
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Stephane Dumas

I saw it and I was stunned, I didn't saw that one coming.

With I-69 extension, Indiana will be at the crossroads of major roads, it'll help a lot for the coming decade.

Duke87

More proof that freeways are just part of evil fascist corporate America. :-P
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Not that stunning. Lots of companies who are looking to locate in Kentucky choose locations adjacent to or relatively close to an interstate, even if there are counties with higher unemployment rates (and more available workers) but are not near one of our interstates or parkways.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Goes back to business leaders, Chambers of Commerce, politicians, etc. all wanting that interstate shield coming through their town (except Bloomington, Ind) as some form of status symbol.
Of course that table says nothing about waterways (Miss. River, Great lakes, Oceans) or railroad freight yards, which are cheaper ways to ship product than by paved roads.  :poke:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Sure, but paved roads are easier. I don't know the first thing about how to access the railroad system, but I do know how to get my products on a UPS truck. And at least around here, a truck would be involved in shipping stuff via river, since there's no navigable waterway between Oklahoma City and the nation's big river system (the Canadian is mostly quicksand)–it would have to be trucked at least as far as Tulsa.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2012, 10:09:44 AM
Sure, but paved roads are easier. I don't know the first thing about how to access the railroad system, but I do know how to get my products on a UPS truck.
And if there's good rail access, that UPS trailer may get mounted on a railroad flatcar. The Florida East Coast Railway does a lot of business for trucking companies in lieu of driving down I-95 to Miami (and likely back empty).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

mightyace

^^^

When did that happen?  Have I been asleep at the switch?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

realjd

Quote from: DeaconG on February 20, 2012, 02:47:20 PM
^They're part of Norfolk Southern now.

You sure about that? Their website still lists them as having their own CEO, CFO, etc., and Wikipedia doesn't list them as being a part of N-S.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NE2 on February 20, 2012, 10:44:21 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2012, 10:09:44 AM
Sure, but paved roads are easier. I don't know the first thing about how to access the railroad system, but I do know how to get my products on a UPS truck.
And if there's good rail access, that UPS trailer may get mounted on a railroad flatcar. The Florida East Coast Railway does a lot of business for trucking companies in lieu of driving down I-95 to Miami (and likely back empty).

I was told by a CSX employee that UPS is either the largest or one of their largest customers (probably varies from year to year).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2012, 08:54:33 PM
Not that stunning. Lots of companies who are looking to locate in Kentucky choose locations adjacent to or relatively close to an interstate, even if there are counties with higher unemployment rates (and more available workers) but are not near one of our interstates or parkways.

Agreed. 
Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2012, 08:54:33 PM

Consistent with every state that I have visited (and I have never been in Kentucky).

It's interesting to note that being near a transit station (or transit stop) was not on the list at all.

Scott5114

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 20, 2012, 05:04:46 PM
It's interesting to note that being near a transit station (or transit stop) was not on the list at all.

Well yeah. A business owner is going to be thinking "How can I position my business to get my product out as cheaply as possible, to give me an edge over my competitors?", not "How can I position my business to allow my employees to not drive to work?" It doesn't affect the business one way or another if the employees drive or take the bus or train or walk or parachute in from a friggin' helicopter as long as most people have the ability to get there on time and on schedule the majority of the time. But if they are near a major highway they can theoretically use that advantage to edge out a competitor that is not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Rail proximity is only helpful when large quantities of your product have similar destination. Trains are great for shipping in bulk, but if all you're sending to one area is a couple truckloads, it's easier to just truck it. As such, large operations will use trains to ship or receive product, but small operations will not.

Passenger rail proximity is a different matter entirely from freight rail proximity: it is irrelevant on the large scale to any employer in most circumstances unless they are trying to market themselves as being green. Though on a smaller scale, it does become relevant: it won't make you want to put your office in New York City, but given that you've already decided to do that, transit access does become a consideration in choosing a specific location.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: realjd on February 20, 2012, 03:38:37 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on February 20, 2012, 02:47:20 PM
^They're part of Norfolk Southern now.

You sure about that? Their website still lists them as having their own CEO, CFO, etc., and Wikipedia doesn't list them as being a part of N-S.

They're separate, and always have been. They have closer ties to NS than CSX, due to CSX having its own line to Miami, but that's all.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DeaconG

That's funny, because when I drive by their intermodal facility by Space Coast Regional the marquee says Norfolk Southern (when they built it they closed the one in Rockledge).

I have been known to be wrong before.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

Quote from: DeaconG on February 22, 2012, 12:32:15 AM
That's funny, because when I drive by their intermodal facility by Space Coast Regional the marquee says Norfolk Southern (when they built it they closed the one in Rockledge).
http://www.nscorp.com/nscintermodal/Intermodal/System_Info/Featured/titusville.html
http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/map.html shows the haulage rights agreement they have with the FEC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.