News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

Now that Florida is also onboard we just need to get South Carolina.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 16, 2021, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 16, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Just reading the literature from MnDOT, looks like their version of EZPass may be the one to get for anyone looking pick one up. Only $25 for the unit and all models will (obviously) have an HOV Mode, no periodic fees etc...

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/ezpassmn/downloads/E-ZPass-MN-DigitalBro21.pdf
We might switch to the MN one once it's released if all of that is the case. My dad have probably paid at least $25 in monthly fees for Ohio's EZ Pass already, and the HOV option would be a nice to have on roads like I-77 Charlotte.

Virginia has several managed lane corridors where HOV vehicles (usually HOV-3) get free passage if they have an E-ZPass Flex transponder in HOV mode.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 15, 2021, 03:01:46 PM
E-ZPass compatibility activation date set for August 2: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/ezpassmn/?fbclid=IwAR1S077oKfmqaVBXdowJdBF9TFZ4wIA0sDL5L-_Uc05iBrVlp63gFya4ki8

The MnPass designation will be phased out in favor of E-ZPass. Old MnPass tags will not be compatible with non-MnPass roads; users will need a new E-ZPass transponder if they want to use it in other states.

WCCO-TV 4 (CBS): MnPass To Become E-ZPass, Usable On Toll Roads In 19 Other States
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 17, 2021, 10:47:37 AM

And Georgia.

DJ Particle

I noticed on the MNDoT site that their plan for future HOT lanes includes MN-252.  Are they finally gonna freeway that corridor?

froggie

^ I'm surprised you haven't noticed, especially since it's been over the news here and there the past few years.  They even got Corridors of Commerce funding in 2018.

Mdcastle

There was popup funding for a couple of interchanges. The funding is still there waiting but those are on pause now while a full EIS of the entire I-94 / 252 corridor from the viaduct north.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 19, 2021, 02:53:00 PM
There was popup funding for a couple of interchanges. The funding is still there waiting but those are on pause now while a full EIS of the entire I-94 / 252 corridor from the viaduct north.

It sounds like some in the Brooklyn Park/Center city governments are starting to cool on the idea of converting 252, at least fully. I don't really understand why because there aren't really any homes close to the road that would be impacted by accessibility issues.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

In Brooklyn Center's case, it has more to do with A) 70th and diversion of traffic, and B) business impacts at 66th.

Mdcastle

MnPass branding has been removed in favor of E-ZPass on the fixed signs.

Papa Emeritus

The Star Tribune says the final upgrades of Mn 212 to a four lane highway through Carver County will be completed by 2025. Here's a link:

https://www.startribune.com/finish-line-in-sight-for-hwy-212-expressway-across-carver-county/600081097/

Widening will be done by the end of next year between Carver and Cologne, with the final stretch to be completed afterward.

Froggie (or anyone else), will the stretches west of Carver be four lane divided highway, or a full freeway? If they will be a divided highway, will enough right of way be provided to allow conversion to a limited access freeway at a later date?

froggie

The design layouts I've seen are for 4-lane divided with RCUTs.  Private driveways would remain but all cross-median movements would be done via the RCUTs.  I've seen references to an overpass at CSAH 51 (between NYA and Cologne) with connections via access roads with RIROs on 212 (instead of more traditional interchange ramps) but since final design of the NYA-Cologne stretch is ongoing, that may change.

Here's the layout for what's currently under construction between Cologne and Chaska.  Imagine something similar west of Cologne with the possibility of some sort of overpass at CSAH 51.

TheHighwayMan3561

One problem is now that we're getting away from the ROW of the new 212 freeway, dealing with the existing driveways and minor cross streets and trying to squeeze in interchanges on the mini-bypasses of Cologne and NYA will be a little more expensive and touchy.

Unrelated and fictional, but now looking at the map I'm slightly annoyed that there's no Glencoe cutoff for MN 22 so you can skip having to arc eastward through Glencoe to stay on 22. :P

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 24, 2021, 11:31:56 PM
Unrelated and unfictional, but now looking at the map I'm slightly annoyed that there's no Glencoe cutoff for MN 22 so you can skip having to arc eastward through Glencoe to stay on 22. :P

(FTFY)

MnDOT and Glencoe are studying 22's routing.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 17, 2021, 10:47:37 AM
Hopefully the KY/OK/TX network after that. Chicago-KC is not that much farther than Chicago-Twin Cities, but you're in a different ETC network from E-ZPass in the former.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 18, 2021, 06:04:16 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 16, 2021, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 16, 2021, 02:39:09 PM
Just reading the literature from MnDOT, looks like their version of EZPass may be the one to get for anyone looking pick one up. Only $25 for the unit and all models will (obviously) have an HOV Mode, no periodic fees etc...

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/ezpassmn/downloads/E-ZPass-MN-DigitalBro21.pdf
We might switch to the MN one once it's released if all of that is the case. My dad have probably paid at least $25 in monthly fees for Ohio's EZ Pass already, and the HOV option would be a nice to have on roads like I-77 Charlotte.
are we going to need an road user bill of right before some get's hit with an fine with HOV mode from an differnt state? setting HOV on = HOV 3+ in one place / HOV = 2 in an other and just HOV = ON in an 3rd. and in an 4 = FREE MODE not for public use?

Virginia has several managed lane corridors where HOV vehicles (usually HOV-3) get free passage if they have an E-ZPass Flex transponder in HOV mode.

Mdcastle

I guess I'm not understanding the issue. . E-ZPass is either always on or switchable on vs off. If you want to use HOT lanes you need a switchable one. There's a sign every half mile telling you who is allowed to use the lane.

Mdcastle

MnPass has been electronically compatible with the Texokansas block sense the switch from Telematics to Sego-6B a few years ago, but unlike E-ZPass there's few people here that are clambering for it.

TheHighwayMan3561

Took a drive along 35W between Crosstown and 94 today and everything is starting to look in place. NB is now open to three lanes on its own carriageway from 46th to 94, the NB overpass at Lake St is open, and the new NB exit ramp to 28th St looks ready to open fairly soon. Still a lot of signs that have yet to be put in place on the mainline.

TheHighwayMan3561

The new 2021-22 state map finally dropped within the last few days. Nothing really new and exciting compared to the 2019-20.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/statemap/

TheHighwayMan3561

Part of the currently paved section of MN 74  between Weaver and Elba will be converted to gravel; MnDOT says lack of funding is to blame (low traffic volumes are probably also a contributor)

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/08/15/minnesotas-last-stretch-of-unpaved-state-highway-will-get-a-little-longer?fbclid=IwAR2OoNUsWuml0HM31wKbAYqZzYFjkhzXynVvrPaRcxjGCpmld36N89nE7yY

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/news/2021/08/13-d6-hwy74.html

TheHighwayMan3561

A portion of MN 1 is closed due to a wildfire in rural Lake County, which has also closed part of Lake CSAH 2, so anyone looking to go from Ely to Grand Marais will have to go all the way around through Duluth.

TheHighwayMan3561

The new(ish) US 53 high bridge in Virginia was officially renamed the Tom Rukavina Memorial Bridge after the late powerful Iron Range state house representative (with lots of jokes from the assembled guests about the height of the bridge comparing to his own short stature).

https://www.wdio.com/news/bridge-dedication-tom-rukavina-ceremony-range/6211994/?cat=10335&fbclid=IwAR0qpXyiE-WDQXwHA-IgdMfWvrog1XoCM3Co99IPJFnu9WM7_AB3fdUVKlc

TheHighwayMan3561

Ugh, MnDOT joined the states running traffic death counters on VMS.

Trademark

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 30, 2021, 05:03:37 PM
Ugh, MnDOT joined the states running traffic death counters on VMS.

Why is this a bad thing?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.