News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Some night-time fun in Tacoma. I took this a few months ago. Recently-completed trolley tracks:

formulanone

Going through some Oklahoma photos from 2017...

I-244 at US 169 in Tulsa:

I-44 Curves south of US 62, near Newcastle:

I-44 at OK 37:

AsphaltPlanet

A photo of Highway 17 descending Cavers Hill with Lake Superior in the distance in northern Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_17_images/17_cl_DSC03167_west_Sep18_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

US 89

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 19, 2020, 09:17:13 PM
A photo of Highway 17 descending Cavers Hill with Lake Superior in the distance in northern Ontario:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_17_images/17_cl_DSC03167_west_Sep18_24x16.jpg

I had no idea there was that much terrain surrounding Lake Superior. Neat.

csw

I-77 winds its way north just outside Bland, VA. Taken October 18.

US 89

Georgia's SR 189, also known as the Lookout Mountain Parkway:

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 09, 2020, 05:29:27 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 09, 2020, 05:28:23 PM
Fantastic photos!  Are they doing some work on the Collier Tunnel or the rest area?

There was a big fire up there earlier in the year.  You can see the aftermath if you click on the photo link which directs to my US 199 photo album.

I see!  When I was there last December (has it really been less than a year?  It seems like forever.) the rest area itself was closed.  Good to see it's reopened.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on November 20, 2020, 11:29:38 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 09, 2020, 05:29:27 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 09, 2020, 05:28:23 PM
Fantastic photos!  Are they doing some work on the Collier Tunnel or the rest area?

There was a big fire up there earlier in the year.  You can see the aftermath if you click on the photo link which directs to my US 199 photo album.

I see!  When I was there last December (has it really been less than a year?  It seems like forever.) the rest area itself was closed.  Good to see it's reopened.

Yeah it kind got overlooked this year due to the larger fires to the south. CA 96 and CA 36 also had some fire closures this year as well.  Strangely even CA 299 had a large rock slide, I guess it was a bad year to get stuck on the North Coast. 

Max Rockatansky

This one came up today, CA 1 northbound through the 2014 Pitkins Curve Rock Shed:

IMG_0421 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

A heavily decayed Green Street looking northwest to the ruins of downtown Bodie and Bodie-Masonic Road:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Google Maps calls that "Fuller St". Did you see any signs indicating that?

I still find it funny that Bodie is a ghost town, when it gets like 700 to 1000 visitors a day. I mean, yeah, none of them live in Bodie, but you're unlikely to be alone in Bodie if you visit during the day.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2020, 11:56:06 PM
Google Maps calls that "Fuller St". Did you see any signs indicating that?

I still find it funny that Bodie is a ghost town, when it gets like 700 to 1000 visitors a day. I mean, yeah, none of them live in Bodie, but you're unlikely to be alone in Bodie if you visit during the day.

Actually there are State Park sourced street blades in Bodie:

IMG_1789 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The thing with Bodie is to get there early.  I have had a lot of luck arriving at 8:30-8:45 AM and occasionally being let in early by a lax State Park employee.  In 2016 I had the whole town to myself for a solid half hour and I was able to get a lot of unobstructed photos before people showed up.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 04, 2020, 12:03:11 AM
The thing with Bodie is to get there early.  I have had a lot of luck arriving at 8:30-8:45 AM and occasionally being let in early by a lax State Park employee.  In 2016 I had the whole town to myself for a solid half hour and I was able to get a lot of unobstructed photos before people showed up.

It'll be a long time before I find myself anywhere near Bodie. But I would love to see it without anyone else around. I'm not necessarily looking to grab photos, but I just want to see a true ghost town without people. Most ghost towns barely have any evidence; Bodie is a goldmine (no pun intended) in comparison.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2020, 01:31:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 04, 2020, 12:03:11 AM

It'll be a long time before I find myself anywhere near Bodie. But I would love to see it without anyone else around. I'm not necessarily looking to grab photos, but I just want to see a true ghost town without people. Most ghost towns barely have any evidence; Bodie is a goldmine (no pun intended) in comparison.

One that I can think of that competes with Bodie is New Idria in San Benito County.  The town was abandoned in 1972 and is a fairly remote part of the Diablo Range.  The EPA declared it a Superfund Site because of the Mercury runoff but its largely intact and relatively easy to access. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

My thesis advisor, at Louisiana State, worked at Bodie back in the 1990s. She was able to write a couple of academic papers on her time there.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

CA 33/CA 198 junction looking south towards Coalinga:

198CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

CanesFan27

I personally liked how this turned out:

IMG_3220 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

CA 1 Shoreline Highway in Marin County approaching Stinson Beach:

CA 1 Shoreline Highway in Sonoma County approaching Meyers Grade Road:

CA 1 Shoreline Highway in Mendocino County approaching Hardy Creek:

US 101 Richardson Grove State Park

IMG_5747 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 128 Sonoma County Line

kphoger

It's nice to see those highways the way they are now, before they all become Fritzways!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2021, 06:23:10 PM
It's nice to see those highways the way they are now, before they all become Fritzways!

Fritz is on crack (really just beyond naive) if he thinks an Interstate is even theoretically possible north to Hardy Creek on CA 1.  The rest of the Shoreline Highway isn't too bad aside from a couple Big Sur like spots but even that is implausible for anything beyond a two lane highway.

Max Rockatansky

Some more Shoreline Highway stuff that I thought was notable:

California State Route 1 Post Mile 96.00 in the Redwood Forest between Rockport and Leggett:

IMG_5678 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

California State Route 1 at the Bolinas Lagoon:

IMG_4392 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

AsphaltPlanet

CanesFan27

Two I took yesterday of the Wil-Cox Bridge and some work with exposures etc.

IMG_3350 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

&

IMG_3346 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Cedar Avenue south of Fresno sandwiched between the Cedar Avenue Viaduct of the Highway Speed Rail and California State Route 99:

Railroad Avenue/Old US 99 looking towards downtown Fresno:

Former California State Route 198 on Irwin Street in downtown Hanford:

IMG_7083 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.