Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Not really an error, but not as straightforward and clear as it could be.  This is on northbound I-75 approaching Flint, MI.  The right lane becomes exit-only to I-475.  The I-75 sign should be a pull-through (with or without down arrows) without the yellow banner, while the I-475 sign should have a yellow Exit Only banner.

formulanone

Looking through some photos from early-2016...here's a goofy "u" and Georgia's dot-less "i" making an appearance in Trenton, NJ:

PHLBOS

Quote from: formulanone on May 30, 2019, 07:26:01 AM
Looking through some photos from early-2016...here's a goofy "u" and Georgia's dot-less "i" making an appearance in Trenton, NJ:

The spacing between the i and l in the Philadelphia legend is off as well.

Needless to say, that center panel has since been replaced.

From NoGoodNamesAvailable's post in the New York thread:
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on June 27, 2019, 10:51:06 PM
Some awful new roundabout guide signage posted by NYSDOT on their twitter page. Black arrows? Seriously?

GPS does NOT equal GOD

marleythedog

I-675, Greene County, ODOT District 8

A contractor got confused on how EXIT ONLY arrows work. The previous sign did not have an arrow within the EXIT ONLY line.

Ironically, the sign project just south of here on US-35 a few years back handled the EXIT ONLY arrow correctly, but incorrectly signed every deceleration lane as an EXIT ONLY.

Another gaffe in this sign project was going the other direction on I-675, where they used US-844 shields instead of OH-844.

Eth

These signs went up a few months ago on US 23/29/78/278 between Atlanta and Decatur. Someone got the memo to use a wide shield for 278, but didn't quite pin down the execution.

frankenroad

Quote from: marleythedog on July 19, 2019, 08:56:54 PM
.... but incorrectly signed every deceleration lane as an EXIT ONLY.

I have seen this phenomenon many places in Ohio over the past couple of years.   I have seen people swerve out of the right lane because they thought the sign applied to them.  (If you are in the right-most travel lane and see an Exit Only sign ahead, it would be logical to assume that the sign applies to your lane, especially if you are on a segment of road that is not perfectly straight.)

I am not sure why ODOT is doing that.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

US 89

From the Salt Lake City International Airport, to remind you why it's a good thing airports don't post signs on regular roads:

Oh, the issues with this. Good luck reading the left panel at speed. Apparently one doesn't exit the airport to go to Reno. The I-15 and I-215 shields should have a TO if you're going to include them at all. Mixed-case directionals on I-80. Shields are way too big, text is way too small...and in Helvetica for good measure.

The sign in the background was much cleaner and provided about the same information. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it was taken down after being replaced by the front sign.

JoePCool14

Quote from: US 89 on October 06, 2019, 03:54:26 PM
From the Salt Lake City International Airport, to remind you why it's a good thing airports don't post signs on regular roads:

Oh, the issues with this. Good luck reading the left panel at speed. Apparently one doesn't exit the airport to go to Reno. The I-15 and I-215 shields should have a TO if you're going to include them at all. Mixed-case directionals on I-80. Shields are way too big, text is way too small...and in Helvetica for good measure.

The sign in the background was much cleaner and provided about the same information. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it was taken down after being replaced by the front sign.

It might just be my eyes but I feel like that I-215 shield is a bit horizontally compressed.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

Not a road sign, but it fits the theme of this thread. ("Cardholder entrance"  is correct–express entrance for Capital One cardholders.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Not a design error, but more like someone clueless : Interstate 127 in Iowa
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Looking at photos from May of 2018...What's this fluorescent yellow sign here for? It's all sorts of wrong.

Located at the end of Alabama Route 144 at US 431...but no longer posted (though the post is still there).

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on October 29, 2019, 07:46:44 PM
Not a design error, but more like someone clueless : Interstate 127 in Iowa

Yeah, that looks like it's from Ohio.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Reno, Nevada seems to have forgotten how to spell.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

renegade

Quote from: US71 on November 02, 2019, 10:36:42 AM
Their fix for that is gonna be changing the name of the street!   :biggrin:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on November 02, 2019, 10:36:42 AM

This is especially funny if you think about where the name "Virginia" originated in the first place. :biggrin:

jakeroot

"Virgin" is "slightly R-rated"? Not sure I agree with that.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2019, 04:08:57 PM

That's not quite the word they had in mind, I think.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2019, 04:08:57 PM

Come on, now!  The absence of sex should not be observed by children.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

I didn't get a good photo of this when I drove by it, but the distance and street name got switched on this sign on I-84 near Ogden, Utah. Certainly one of the weirder design errors I've seen.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on November 06, 2019, 02:50:37 PM
I didn't get a good photo of this when I drove by it, but the distance and street name got switched on this sign on I-84 near Ogden, Utah. Certainly one of the weirder design errors I've seen.

Boy, that's an odd duck!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I tend to click on links before I read the post, to see if I can catch the error. Did not figure this one out until I read your post!

To be honest, the name of the road on the bottom doesn't bother me, even though it doesn't necessarily make sense.

JoePCool14

I'm actually fairly surprised no one went back to correct that, considering how obvious the mistake is.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 06, 2019, 03:55:53 PM

I'm actually fairly surprised no one went back to correct that, considering how obvious the mistake is.

I'm not sure it's that obvious.

barcncpt44

Quote from: formulanone on October 29, 2019, 08:35:12 PM
Looking at photos from May of 2018...What's this fluorescent yellow sign here for? It's all sorts of wrong.

Located at the end of Alabama Route 144 at US 431...but no longer posted (though the post is still there).

Those are signs ALDOT puts up to direct traffic coming and going from the Talladega Superspeedway.  They do this twice a year.

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

formulanone

Quote from: barcncpt44 on November 06, 2019, 07:51:47 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 29, 2019, 08:35:12 PM

Those are signs ALDOT puts up to direct traffic coming and going from the Talladega Superspeedway.  They do this twice a year.

You know, I took the photo on the Monday after the race. I really should have known!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.