News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Weasel

Quote from: chays on July 15, 2016, 02:32:40 PM
Apologies for the poor photo quality.  You'll need to click on the picture and zoom in.

Can you spot the design error?

"STOP PEDESTRIAN HERE FOR THE ARROWHEAD!"
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

chays

Quote from: stridentweasel on July 15, 2016, 02:47:15 PM
Apologies for the poor photo quality.  You'll need to click on the picture and zoom in.

"STOP PEDESTRIAN HERE FOR THE ARROWHEAD!"
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jakeroot

But that's the normal sign:

chays

Quote from: jakeroot on July 15, 2016, 03:01:08 PM
But that's the normal sign:

Look on both sides of the highway

7/8

I'm guessing it's the yellow-green pedestrian sign on the left, which shows the person walking left instead of right :)

chays

Appears to be an off-the-shelf item that is for sale (http://www.safetysign.com/products/p87476/stop-for-pedestrians-right-arrow-sign).  Still seems to be a design error to me.

jakeroot

Quote from: chays on July 15, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Appears to be an off-the-shelf item that is for sale (http://www.safetysign.com/products/p87476/stop-for-pedestrians-right-arrow-sign).  Still seems to be a design error to me.

I do agree with you. Requires a bit of right-to-left reading, which is odd.

That said, the sign in either configuration is a bit silly. The signs should only be installed if pedestrians consistently have a hard time crossing the street. And if that's the case, they ought to just install a signalized crosswalk.

US71

St Robert, MO
The Business 44 shield on the left should be a regular 44 shield.
I think this is a leftover from when the exit was a cloverleaf and this sign was for Business Spur 44, but that's been at least 10 years ago, I think.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2016, 01:46:29 PM

St Robert, MO
I think this is a leftover from when the exit was a cloverleaf and this sign was for Business Spur 44, but that's been at least 10 years ago, I think.

I can confirm from personal experience that the signage dates back at least twelve years.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on July 16, 2016, 01:49:33 PM

I can confirm from personal experience that the signage dates back at least twelve years.
It has held up well :)

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on July 16, 2016, 01:52:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 16, 2016, 01:49:33 PM

It has held up well :)

I haven/t driven I-44 in Missouri since 2007, so it's interesting to know that that error sign is still up.  I met my wife online while I was living near Chicago and she lived in Branson (MO).  At that time, I didn't own a car, so my introduction to I-44 was by Greyhound bus in 2002.  I recall the Ft Leonard Wood bus stop at that time being in a strip mall next to an adult video store just south of the interchange pictured.  My wife moved to the Chicago area towards the end of 2003; from that point on we made somewhat frequent trips to and from Branson along I-44.  I eventually gave up on Saint Louis traffic and started using US-54 from Macks Creek (MO) to Pittsfield (IL) instead but, shortly thereafter, we got married and moved downstate.  At that point, we resumed using I-44 going back and forth between Herrin (IL) and Branson, crossing the Mississippi at Chester and hitting I-44 at Eureka.  We moved to Wichita early in 2008, so I've had no reason to use I-44 since then, especially since US-60 is now four lanes all the way from Springfield to Charleston.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

St Robert, MO

The first thing I noticed is the down arrow, located on the wrong edge of the sign and pointing in the wrong direction.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadfro on July 16, 2016, 04:03:03 PM
St Robert, MO

The first thing I noticed is the down arrow, located on the wrong edge of the sign and pointing in the wrong direction.

Indeed, the green shield is erroneous.  The arrow is a design error.  Bonus!

SignBridge

A mistake like that arrow gets made and nobody catches it? Un-friggin' real!

SignGeek101

St Robert, MO

Is it possible the arrow was there from the beginning, and the rest of the sign was fabricated upside down?

7/8

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 16, 2016, 08:44:17 PM

St Robert, MO

Is it possible the arrow was there from the beginning, and the rest of the sign was fabricated upside down?

Maybe, but judging from the picture, there doesn't seem to be enough room to fit the arrow below the word "Springfield". Whatever happened, it was definitely a botched job

hbelkins

It should be noted that Missouri makes its own guide signs and doesn't contract them out, like Kentucky and many other states do.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 16, 2016, 08:44:17 PM

IMO, the shield may have been there before everything else.  This is a former cloverleaf interchange that was converted. The green 44 was for SPUR 44 to Ft Leonard Wood. The Y/44 was originally just Y before the interchange was converted.

7/8

This sign on the 407 westbound before Woodbine Avenue has the "2.5" and "km" not lined up vertically, and they're also too close together

roadfro

^ Looks like the "2.5" is a patch (as is the "1.5"), and the patch is aligned with the bottom border of the sign. So doubly bad that they didn't properly adjust the placement of said patch before attaching.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

7/8

I'm really surprised I didn't notice this earlier! According to GSV, it's been around since at least 2015. This is on Hespeler Rd (former Hwy 24) just south of Maple Grove Rd in Cambridge, ON.

The 401 Trailblazer here incorrectly uses the Regional Road flowerpot shape instead of the provincial highway shield. I've never seen anything like this before :-D Not to mention the use of an arrow instead of "TO". What a weird sign!

jakeroot

This guide sign in Burnaby, BC has a black right arrow. The turn towards Hwy 1 West used to be to the left, and the sign featured a black-on-orange "construction" temp arrow, but once the construction ended, they removed the temp arrow, only to replace it with another black arrow, albeit one lacking an orange background.

https://goo.gl/PHqtUe

I thought the 6+ HOV requirement was a design error as well, but apparently it's not. All of the other HOV signs along Willingdon Ave have "6+" on them.

Quillz

Take a look at the CA-59 spade. The "5" is Series D, the "9" is Series E.

7/8

Quote from: jakeroot on July 21, 2016, 12:39:27 AM
I thought the 6+ HOV requirement was a design error as well, but apparently it's not. All of the other HOV signs along Willingdon Ave have "6+" on them.

Wow! A lot of cars don't even have 6 seats! The highest HOV I've personally seen in Ontario is 3+

Rothman

Might as well just call it a bus lane.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.