News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Abu Dhabi introduces minimum speed limit of 120km/h on major highway

Started by Stephane Dumas, April 19, 2023, 07:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Abu Dhabi is the city in the United Arab Emirats where Garfield try to send numerous times Nermal. For speed limits, they go the opposite way of Paris. I spotted this article from an Australian website.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/abu-dhabi-introduces-minimum-speed-limit-of-120km-h-on-major-highway/

QuoteMotorists in Abu Dhabi will be fined 400 Dirham ($AU162) from next month for failing to drive at a minimum signposted speed of 120km/h.

The new minimum speed limit along a 62-kilometere stretch of the four-lane Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Road came into effect in April 2023 with fines set to be levied against law-breaking motorists from 1 May 2023.

According to a report in The National, a UAE news outlet, the new minimum speed limit has been designed to encourage slower moving vehicles to keep to the right-hand lanes (the United Arab Emirates is a left-hand drive region) allowing for faster moving traffic to travel unimpeded long the motorway's left lanes..

The 120km/h signposted minimum speed limit applies to the two left-hand lanes of the four-lane highway that links the Emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The maximum speed limit across all four lanes is 140km/h. Heavy vehicles, however, must remain in the farthest right lane and can only travel at a maximum of 80km/h.

kphoger

Wow, for the first few minutes on chewing on this, I didn't realize it only applied to the leftmost lanes.

This would be the equivalent of having an Interstate with four lanes on each side, with traffic in the left two lanes being required to maintain at least 10 mph under the speed limit.  So, say, 75 mph overall but min. 65 in the left lanes.  Seems reasonable.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Chris

Iraq has had this since at least before the 2003 invasion. Here's a photo from that era:

kphoger

Quote from: Chris on April 19, 2023, 10:27:44 AM
Iraq has had this since at least before the 2003 invasion. Here's a photo from that era:

[

And here's another one, thoughtlessly stolen from that same user's collection, whoever he is:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Chris

Vietnam also has posted minimum speed limits. I supposed this is to ban mopeds from the expressway.

Most European countries have a highway code which includes a rule that states that vehicles not able to attain a certain speed (legally) are banned from using them.

Roadgeekteen

That's like 75 mph. Way too fast for a mininum. In my opinion, 100 kmh or 65 mph should be the highest mininum speed limit.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 20, 2023, 03:33:18 PM
That's like 75 mph. Way too fast for a mininum. In my opinion, 100 kmh or 65 mph should be the highest mininum speed limit.
It's only the left two lanes, not the entire freeway.

Alps

This thread feels like it wants to spawn a "countries with mostly abandoned and/or mine-laden freeways" thread

Joe The Dragon

Heavy vehicles should not relay have that big of an MAX speed gap

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 20, 2023, 03:33:18 PM

If you want to turtlefart around you can do that on a surface road.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

It's interesting seeing how this is represented signagewise. It makes sense under the principles of Vienna Convention signage (blue = requirement) though I'm not sure I would immediately parse a number in a blue circle as "minimum speed" if I weren't aware such a regulation existed.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

This section of the Vienna Convention is not used much in Europe. Posted minimum speed limits seem to be rare, if they exist at all, I can't recall an example, though they probably exist somewhere...

The Netherlands uses blue signs for an advisory speed limit. In practice, you can almost always go 20-30 km/h faster, except in very poor weather conditions (or when you have bald tires...)

DSC_0100 by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.