News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

I volunteer to donate a point to Brandon. The trifecta will be complete!

Alps

I volunteer to host in the meantime if cl94 isn't prepared to host this month. I've had a trivia drawn up for a few months now.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on May 14, 2020, 02:21:06 AM
I volunteer to host in the meantime if cl94 isn't prepared to host this month. I've had a trivia drawn up for a few months now.

I'll cede to you for this month and I'll cede a full trivia to Bruce for afterward because yaaaaaaaaay, no time to write something up! :|
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

SSOWorld

Done.  Assuming 8:30 EDT.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 18, 2020, 12:51:53 AM
How long is trivia night normally?
I try to keep mine to 2-2.5 hours by moving questions along and minimizing idle chatter.

To answer the other question: 8:30 PM Eastern, 5:30 PM Pacific, do the math otherwise.

Alps

TONIGHT'S RULES

• We will continue the "message the host" format. All answers are to be private messaged to the host.
  • Questions will be worth 2 points. If no one answers correctly on the first try, the second try will be worth 1 point. If there is more than one answer to a question, you will receive credit for each correct answer unless I state that all answers are required for credit.
  • There will be bonuses. Bonuses are open to all players, not just those that answered correctly. Bonuses will be worth 2 points if you answered the original question correctly, 1 point if you didn't.
  • There will be 50 regular questions and then a couple of special ones. Like we used to do.
  • If I ask "where" without specifying, I will accept a route number or city, assuming there is a nearby city.

Alps

Congratulations to cl94 (again) who won tonight's trivia. Final scores:
cl94
Bruce
corco
NE2
US_89
RoadPelican
SSOWorld

Questions and answers below:

=======================REGION 1: OLD NORTHWEST========================

1. MICHIGAN
Name each of the two non-bannered US highways that stay within 90 degrees of their signed direction at all times while in Michigan. (2 pts each)
24, 131 (both N-S)

2. INDIANA
At what city does the southern leg of I-69 currently transition into IN 37?
Martinsville

3. OHIO
Closest guess: How many current state highways are there in Ohio per Wikipedia's list? (3 pts. for exact, otherwise 2 for closest)

4. ILLINOIS
When 2 or more Interstates junction, if you add the numbers of the Interstates together, sometimes that total will be prime. Which Interstate has the most prime junctions?
57 (57/74, 57/70, 57/80, 57/94)

5. WISCONSIN
What is the largest body of water separating I-41 and I-43?
Lake Winnebago

=======================REGION 2: WEST========================

6. CALIFORNIA
Most of the original CA Route 1 (pre-1964) is now this route.
US 101
BONUS: The rest of original CA Route 1 is now this other route.
US 199

7. OREGON/IDAHO
You want to make money by smuggling marijuana from Oregon into Idaho. To avoid detection, you're using the only highway that changes numbers at the border. Give one for 1 point or both for 2 points.
OR 201, ID 19

8. UTAH
The oddly numbered US 163 meets US 191 on the west side of Bluff. What evenly numbered state highway meets US 191 on the east side of Bluff?

9. ARIZONA
What is the westernmost numbered highway in Arizona?
US 95 (south of Yuma) [accept Indian Route 6, it's farther]

10. HAWAII
What is the largest Hawaiian island with no state highway?
Ni'ihau

=======================REGION 3: PACIFIC NORTHWEST========================

11. ALASKA
What is the name of the proposed highway extension of AK 7 north of Juneau toward Skagway?
Lynn Canal Hwy. or Juneau Access Road

12. BRITISH COLUMBIA
The western extremity of the Trans-Canada Highway (16) is on what island?
Graham Island or Haida Gwaii (1 pt for Queen Charlotte Islands)

13. ALBERTA
This number has been given to the old road from Calgary to Edmonton.
2A

14. WASHINGTON
How does Washington number its 3-digit highways, in general?
First 2 digits = parent route

15. MONTANA
This is the shortest US highway in Montana.
US 20 [I did not specify "only"]

=======================REGION 4: NORTHEAST========================

16. NEW JERSEY
NJ signs "The Caldwells," "The Oranges," "The Amboys," and "The Ridgefields." What is the only highway associated with two of those?
I-280 ("The Oranges" signed from 80, "The Caldwells" signed at exit 5)

17. MASSACHUSETTS
What two route numbers can be found on VFW Highway? (2 pts each)
MA 38, MA 110 [113 leaves where VFW begins! - confirmed by article in Lowell Sun]

18. NEW YORK
If you drew a straight line between any two consecutive Finger Lakes, what are the most state highways you would cross?
6 (Seneca to Cayuga: 414, 227, 79, 228, 96, 89 - barely clips 79)

19. NEW HAMPSHIRE
This state highway ends in the White Mountains, not at another state highway.

20. NEW ENGLAND
What is the lowest number that is a state (not US) highway in all six New England states?
BONUS: What is the lowest number that is a state highway in all 6 states AND not a former New England route in any of the states?

=======================REGION 5: UNITED STATES========================

21. GENERAL
Which state has the lowest, but non-zero, total mileage of 3-digit US highways?
Idaho (under 1 mile)

22. GENERAL
What is the longest current multi-state (3+) route that runs north-south?
IA-MO-AR 5 (over 600 mi)

23. GENERAL
East of the Hudson, US 6 is farthest south at Peekskill, NY. What is the next city west (50,000+ population) where US 6 is at least that far south?
Council Bluffs, IA

24. GENERAL
What is the only east-west US highway that is directly north of US 2 at some point?
52 (signed west at split in ND)

25. GENERAL
For 1 point each, list each north-south 2-digit Interstate that is east of I-95 at some point. 4 answers.
93, 87 N, 76 (NJ considers N/S), 97 [87 S, 73 are not yet built]

=======================REGION 6: SOUTHEAST========================

26. FLORIDA
This is the westernmost highway in the Eastern Time Zone in Florida.
US 98
BONUS: This is the easternmost highway in the Central Time Zone in Florida.
US 90

27. NORTH CAROLINA
This is the (now-visible) number for the future freeway under construction east of Durham.
I-885

28. TENNESSEE
This is the only ten I see. What other highway does TN 10 mostly follow?
US 231

29. SOUTH CAROLINA
Which highway travels between the two largest lakes entirely in the state, Lakes Moultrie and Marion?
SC 45

30. GEORGIA
What number describes both the closest Interstate and state route to the oldest covered bridge in the state?
85 [Red Oak Creek]
BONUS: What is the closest US highway?
Alt 27

=======================REGION 7: GREAT WHITE NORTH========================

31. CANADA
Les Iles-de-la-Madeleine, notable for QC 199, can only be reached by ferry from which province?
PEI

32. QUEBEC
Where is the current southern end of A-73?
St. George/St-Georges or QC 204

33. NOVA SCOTIA
What is the westernmost highway on the NS mainland?
BONUS: What is the westernmost highway in NS, not on the mainland?

34. ONTARIO
Where is the northernmost US border crossing from Ontario?
11/Rainy River

35. MANITOBA
This major highway bisects the land between Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipegosis (the disease of Winnipeg).
=======================REGION 8: MID-SOUTH========================

36. TEXAS/NEW MEXICO
What highway in which state (or both) is the southernmost Rio Grande crossing entirely within the United States? 1 point if you get the right number but the wrong state(s).
Thrown out - answer is actually Racetrack Drive in NM

37. OKLAHOMA
What is the only state highway that spans the panhandle without changing numbers at either border?

38. ARKANSAS
True or false: Arkansas state highways have always used the state outline shield.
TRUE

39. MISSISSIPPI/ALABAMA
What is the easternmost MS/AL border crossing by a numbered highway?
US 72

40. MISSOURI
This state highway forms a partial beltway around downtown Jefferson City.

=======================REGION 9: MID-ATLANTIC========================

41. MARYLAND
Which 2 state highways end at a ferry along the Chesapeake Bay? (2 pts each)
333, 413

42. VIRGINIAS
True or false: every primary state highway keeps its number when it crosses between WV and VA.
FALSE
BONUS: What is the one highway that does not? Need state and number.
WV 45 (and apparently WV 123)

43. PENNSYLVANIA
PA 4 no longer exists. It was renumbered to this US highway that also no longer exists.
US 111

44. KENTUCKY
Name the only limited-access parkway that has not had its name changed.
Audubon Pkwy.

45. DC
Union Station is on this state-named street.
Massachusetts Ave.

=======================REGION 10: MIDWEST========================

46. KANSAS
Well before it had 16 petals, the original embossed Kansas route shield had this unusual number of petals.

47. NEBRASKA
What is the longest north-south US highway in Nebraska?
BONUS: What is the shortest north-south US highway in Nebraska?

48. MINNESOTA
By far the largest lake in Minnesota is Red Lake. Which state highway spends the most time along Red Lake?
1 (more than 72 or 89)

49. IOWA
The only known state outline shield is for this route.
IA 92

50. COLORADO
If you want to get as close as possible to the highest point in the state, what highway should you be on? 1 point for US, 2 points for state, 4 points for Forest Road (guess any or all).
US 24, CO 82, Forest Road 110 or 110J (allow 125B) [it's Mt Elbert]

=======================BONUS ROUND (4 QUESTIONS)========================

51. WYOMING/NEVADA
Besides I-80, only one numbered highway connects to both Wyoming and Nevada. For two points per answer, six total, give the numbered highways on each side of these borders.
NV 233, UT 30, WY 89

52. LABRADOR
For one point per answer, seven total, list the numbered routes in Labrador.
500, 503, 510, 513, 514, 516, 520

53. DELAWARE/LOUISIANA
For one point per answer, eight total, list the numbered routes in Delaware that are not found in Louisiana. Ignore lettered suffixes like 1A and Business/Alt./etc.
7, 202, 261, 273, 279, 286, 299, 491

54. DAKOTAS
For one point per answer, nine total, list the numbered routes (state, US, or Interstate) that maintain their number upon crossing the SD/ND border. 2 bonus points (minimum 6 answers) or 1 bonus point (4-5 answers) if all of your answers are in geographical order from west to east.
US 85, US 12, 1806, 1804, US 83, US 281, I-29 / US 81, 127 (Google is wrong about 31)

Roadgeekteen

Wow, trivia seems super tough! I would never be able to do well on most of these. I might join sometime, but not sure when.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 11:33:04 PM
Wow, trivia seems super tough! I would never be able to do well on most of these. I might join sometime, but not sure when.
I always get last or close to that

SM-G965U

CNGL-Leudimin

Due to the damn virus this year between August 9 and 15 I'll do my normal sleep schedule, so no possibilty to make it in 2020.
Quote from: Alps on May 20, 2020, 11:17:41 PM36. TEXAS/NEW MEXICO
What highway in which state (or both) is the southernmost Rio Grande crossing entirely within the United States? 1 point if you get the right number but the wrong state(s).
Thrown out - answer is actually Racetrack Drive in NM

I'm pretty sure you thought of NM 273 (even though it's entirely in Texas), which is the furthest downstream crossing of the Rio Grande entirely in the USA, even though it's sightly North of Racetrack Drive.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.