News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fútbol chatter

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 21, 2021, 08:35:58 PM
Quote from: Bruce on April 21, 2021, 05:51:24 PM
Meanwhile UEFA was able to sneak in their expanded CL format that screws over smaller teams unscathed.

Why not take the superleague concept and imbed it into the CL? The big money teams want more games against each other rather than lower quality/popularity teams from other countries. The little guys want a better chance to advance.

Take the top 5 from England, top 4 from Spain, Germany and Italy, and the top 3 from France into 4 groups of 5. Eight matches against superteams. Group winners face off with runners up from other groups to narrow it down to 4.

Take the top 20 from the rest of Europe and do the same thing. 4 groups of 5. Get a final four from this flight.

Surviving four teams from each flight are drawn into the quarterfinals, with a random draw and then play it out from there.

Big clubs get more marquee games against each other. Small clubs get half the quarterfinal slots.

The magic of the CL is that it is open to every national champion at some level, and theoretically a pub team could make it up there if they win enough matches. Matches between big clubs are supposed to be rare and special occasions, not weekly occurrences.

Of course, I don't watch much of the CL live (because it's at an awkward time on the West Coast and I'm not devoted to a European club), but it is something that should be protected. Perhaps the EU will step in to save what's left of it.

Bruce

The Columbus Crew are the "Crew" again after a botched rebranding.

May 10: Team announces its new name will be "Columbus SC" with the Crew as a secondary identifier. New crest unveiled to replace the 2014 roundel.

A few reports that fan groups were consulted but their feedback went unused, prompting a backlash.

May 17: Team reverses course, returns to "Columbus Crew SC" and modifies its new logo.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/05/17/columbus-crew-name-changed-back-logo-redone-after-fans-revolt/5137357001/

This is the second time that fan backlash has reversed an awful MLS rebranding, after the Chicago Fire (who have yet to reveal a revised logo). Sadly, it couldn't save the Montreal Impact.

thspfc

Crazy final day in the EPL. Liverpool complete one of the great never-say-never late season runs in soccer history. My Spurs most likely end the Harry Kane era with a 4-2 victory over Leicester. If he leaves, I will root for whichever team he goes to just as much as I root for Spurs. Call me a fair weather fan, whatever. As a result, Leicester choke on the UCL for the second straight season after top 4 looked like a formality for most of the campaign. Chelsea tried their hardest to lose their place in the UCL, but they couldn't quite get it done, finishing 4th again despite losing to Aston Villa.

NWI_Irish96

Chelsea had a backup plan available as the Champions League winner earns a spot. Europa League winner also gets a spot so Villareal is in if they can upset ManU.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

The United States have won the inaugural CONCACAF Nations League by defeating Mexico in a 3-2 thriller that included:

- Two penalties awarded by video replay
- A saved penalty by the U.S. backup goalkeeper, replacing the injured starter
- Bottles and cups thrown at players
- Several uncalled red card worthy tackles
- 5 arrests

mgk920

Quote from: Bruce on June 08, 2021, 10:17:18 PM

The United States have won the inaugural CONCACAF Nations League by defeating Mexico in a 3-2 thriller that included:

- Two penalties awarded by video replay
- A saved penalty by the U.S. backup goalkeeper, replacing the injured starter
- Bottles and cups thrown at players
- Several uncalled red card worthy tackles
- 5 arrests

Man, have I been out of the loop in sports lately, there was a Mexico-USA match a few days ago (Sunday, 2021-06-06)?!

:-o

Anyways, it was at Empower Field in Denver, CO (home field of the NFL's Denver Broncos) - and Mexico v. USA in mens fútbol remains one of the greatest sports rivalries in the World!

Amazing saves by that backup goalkeeper, too.  Keep an eye on Ethan Horvath, that kid is going places!

:nod:

Mike

Bruce

The Nations League is a new tournament, so it's caught a few people off guard. The whole tournament exists to replace the meaningless friendlies of years past with something with slightly more meaning.

Horvath is a bit too old to be called a kid (though in goalkeeping terms he's near his prime age). He's going to be out of a contract soon, having ridden the bench at Brugge for a while, so hopefully he can find meaningful minutes in a top European league.

thspfc

Well, this USMNT squad is very young and has more talent than the USMNT has ever had before (reminisce about Donovan or Dempsey all you want, they're not even close to the trajectory of some of the players that we have now). Let's hope this promising stretch isn't derailed by yet another European club players vs MLS players feud. Seems like every USMNT coach ever has had a bias one way or another in that regard. With all the young talent we have playing in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, etc., it seems like the path between MLS and the national team is getting harder to traverse.

Bruce

Quote from: thspfc on June 09, 2021, 09:37:23 PMWith all the young talent we have playing in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, etc., it seems like the path between MLS and the national team is getting harder to traverse.

Being at a European club does not guarantee quality. Getting first-team minutes is important, especially if it includes exposure to Central American and Caribbean atmospheres that come in handy when World Cup qualifiers roll around. Being able to play well in spite of the conditions down there is what set the older squads apart from this new generation, who haven't had the full experience of the Hex (now the Ocho).

The current squad is a mix of players developed in MLS or MLS academies who moved abroad, players who developed entirely in Europe, and players who are still in MLS. The domestic league is still the way to go to get noticed easily by the USMNT scouting network.

nexus73

Right now in Forge Of Empires (an online game), we have the Soccer Cup seasonal event going on. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bruce

We are in a rare summer of three continental cups: the European Championship (June 11 to July 11), Copa America (June 13 to July 10), and the CONCACAF Gold Cup (July 10 to August 1). And after that we have World Cup qualifying, which will have an extended schedule for the U.S. due to the eight-team format (replacing the six-team "Hex").

Big John

Christian Eriksen of Denmark collapsed on the pitch and was eventually resuscitated and brought to a hospital where he is responding.  Big scare there.

US 89

Quote from: Big John on June 12, 2021, 02:52:09 PM
Christian Eriksen of Denmark collapsed on the pitch and was eventually resuscitated and brought to a hospital where he is responding.  Big scare there.

I watched it live. Didn't even realize the Euros were going on until I flipped on ESPN this morning and saw the medics giving him chest compressions.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on June 10, 2021, 05:58:24 PM
We are in a rare summer of three continental cups: the European Championship (June 11 to July 11), Copa America (June 13 to July 10), and the CONCACAF Gold Cup (July 10 to August 1). And after that we have World Cup qualifying, which will have an extended schedule for the U.S. due to the eight-team format (replacing the six-team "Hex").

Watching ENG-CRO right now. CONCACAF was smart to push their tournament back a month to avoid being the same time as Europe and South America.

thspfc

Everyone is hopping on the Sweden bandwagon after they drew 0-0 by a huge stroke of luck against Spain today. When your goalkeeper can make a five minute highlight reel of himself from a single game, that's not a good sign for his team. Sweden really struggled against the low crosses, especially from Jordi Alba on the left side. Yes, Sweden had a couple chances, but Spain had far more opportunities. Spain also had 86% possession. Sure, some of that comes down to their play style, but 86% is off the charts. Sweden couldn't hold the ball for more than like 20 seconds at a time. Parking the bus and wasting time for the full 90 minutes can get you a draw in the group stage, but it doesn't work long term. See: how Sweden fizzled out in the quarterfinals of the World Cup against England.

It's very uncommon to advance to the knockout rounds without winning at least one game in the group stage. I don't think Sweden will win a game with the way they played today.

thspfc

Takeaway on every team from the group stage of the Euros:

Italy: They have the identity that past Italian teams have not found. I don't think they have the experience to win it all, and it's worth pointing out that their group wasn't exactly the group of death, but they're certainly contenders.

Wales: Somewhat lacking in talent but they always seem to overachieve at the Euros. They got second in the group because Italy scored fewer goals against them than they did against Switzerland, not because they're actually better than Switzerland (in the Wales/Switzerland match it was clear that Switzerland are the better team).

Switzerland: Just mediocre, as their record shows. They can dominate against weaker teams like Turkey, but don't stand much of a chance against the Italys of the world. They have a tall task ahead of them against France.

Turkey: Defense was supposed to be their strength, but their defense was woeful in all three games. Struggled to create chances on the attacking end.

Belgium: This core group of Belgian players has been around for a while now, so we know who they are. We know they can score goals and win comfortably against teams like Russia, Denmark, and Finland, but the knockout stage will be a different matter.

Denmark: They looked very inspired against Russia in front of their home fans. If they can actually finish their chances like they did against Russia (and unlike what they did in their first two games), they have a real chance at making a run.

Finland: Just not enough talent. It's cool that they qualified, but we knew that they wouldn't be good enough to make much of a difference.

Russia: Their 2018 World Cup campaign was a fluke, which tends to happen with host countries. They won the game they were expected to against Finland, but weren't very good in their two losses.

Netherlands: Did their job in the group stage, but haven't faced a real test by any means. They have plenty of offensive creativity and have looked dangerous on the counter attack.

Austria: Similar to Switzerland, they do fine against less talented teams but don't have much of a chance against heavyweights.

Ukraine: They have a nice attacking duo in Yarmolenko and Yaremchuk, but have been prone to defensive mistakes.

North Macedonia: Even in the least difficult group of the tournament, they didn't stand much of a chance. At least they have two goals to show for it.

England: Well structured and very strong defensively. They have loads of offensive talent but haven't figured out how to put it all together. I think going to a traditional 4-3-3 or even a 3-4-3 rather than the more reserved 4-2-3-1 would give players like Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Rashford, and Mount more room to play in their unique styles rather than the jumbled-together approach that they're taking now. Two goals in three matches isn't pretty, but they've done what they've been expected to do.

Croatia: Lacked energy and urgency up until the second half of the Scotland game, when they were finally able to assert themselves with their ball skills and offensive quality. The match with Spain will be an interesting one, albeit one that I would be shocked if it's won by Croatia in 90 minutes.

Czech Republic: Very dependent on Patrik Schick, and it showed against England. They couldn't do anything noteworthy for almost the entire game. Nonetheless I'm impressed by their two goal win over Scotland and draw with Croatia.

Scotland: Their chance to have a chance in the tournament was the first match against the Czechs, and when they lost that game, it was pretty much over for them. They deserve credit for their performance against England, but they could have lost that match just as easily as they could have won it.

Sweden: My questions from after the Spain match were answered, though it's worth noting that the 3-2 scoreline against Poland today is deceiving. Safe to say that Sweden wouldn't have scored 3 goals if Poland weren't forced to go all-out in chasing a goal for 88 minutes.

Spain: Most possession, most shots, most chances, but very few goals until the Slovakia match today. They finally figured out how to score with the help of a legendary own goal by the Slovakia goalkeeper Dubravka. It's worth noting that they can't convert penalties to save their lives (0/2 so far at the tournament). That could be a major problem if the finishing struggles that they had against Sweden and Poland resurface in the knockout rounds.

Slovakia: It's obvious that their victory over Poland was a fluky byproduct of Krychowiak's red card dropping Poland down to 10 men. Showed surprisingly little resistance and fighting spirit after falling behind to Spain, which lead to them getting completely humiliated.

Poland: Too little, too late. They were close to equalizing late against Slovakia but couldn't do it. They were lucky to escape with a draw against Spain. Who knows what would have happened had Lewandowski scored from five feet away with the goalkeeper out of the equation in the 17th minute against Sweden.

France: Their depth and skill is unrivaled. The question is if and when they're going to flip the switch like they did in the 2018 World Cup, when they were uninspiring in the group stage but came out flying in the knockouts. He doesn't have any goals, but if the tournament ended today Paul Pogba would be my golden ball winner. His passing has been crazy good. When he's at his best, Kylian Mbappe is pretty much unstoppable, but he hasn't found his best as of yet in this tournament. But the thing that sums up how good this team is is that they just got first place in the toughest group, yet we've still been disappointed with them. They're that talented.

Germany: We saw them in peak form against Portugal. That Germany team is one of the two or three best in the tournament. Then there's the other two games, when they had a lot of possession but didn't really have a plan to score, they were just passing the ball around aimlessly like the Germany of the 2018 World Cup.

Portugal: Overrated. They are really, really bad defensively. If Ruben Dias is the best defender in the world, it certainly has not been showing in this tournament. Their saving grace is that they have this guy named Ronaldo who some say is pretty good at putting the ball in the net. Ronaldo's supporting cast of forwards and midfielders, though, has also been disappointing.

Hungary: Soccer games are 90 minutes long, and Hungary did about 75 minutes of great defending in each of their three games. The 15 minutes when they were sloppy was when Portugal scored three times, Germany twice, and France once. That was the difference between first in the group and last.

thspfc

14 hours later and I still can't believe that France are out of the Euros. Croatia/Spain was a great game as well, but France/Switzerland was an all-time classic, a match that's going to be remembered for as long as European soccer exists. Maybe the best soccer game I've ever watched.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on June 29, 2021, 07:15:21 AM
14 hours later and I still can't believe that France are out of the Euros. Croatia/Spain was a great game as well, but France/Switzerland was an all-time classic, a match that's going to be remembered for as long as European soccer exists. Maybe the best soccer game I've ever watched.

Sefarovic was on fire.  I got to watch the PKs as I was sitting in a chair waiting for dental surgery.  A nice way to destress before going in.

Hopefully England can actually get some goals scored today, otherwise the football media is going to be insufferable for the next week.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

European champions Chelsea have/had players playing for several countries:
Mount, James and Chilwell for England
Gilmour for Scotland
Kante and Grioud for France
Azpilicueta for Spain
Rudiger, Werner and Havertz for Germany
Christensen for Denmark
Jorginho for Italy
Kovacic for Croatia

Additionally, Silva is playing for Brazil in Copa America and Pulisic is on the US squad for the Gold Cup.

That's going to be a well-worn team when the reunite in August.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 29, 2021, 10:09:04 AM
That's going to be a well-worn team when the reunite in August.

The question will be how the wear affects them.  Does it make them fit together more? Tire them out? Cause more injuries?  I'm kind of glad my Spurs have a few less internationals than we've had in the previous cycles.  Really only have Hojbjerg, Davies, and Kane playing major minutes, and obviously Kane might not be a Spurs player come August.

Chris

thspfc

Aye me lads, it's commen home, ya?

Denmark are the little oppressed underdog darlings, so much so that they got completely outplayed for 120 minutes, yet still have the audacity to complain about a controversial, but not necessarily uncommon, penalty call. The game is changing. Defenders have to be really careful in the penalty area. VAR is finally holding referees to the standard of calling the same fouls and enforcing the same rules inside the 18 and out.

If you actually look at the stats and watch highlights for 10 minutes it's obvious that the better team won, controversial penalty or not. If Denmark want to make the final maybe they should work on disciplined, organized defending and creating chances. They were obviously exhausted by about the 60th minute. They stopped defending well. Let England into the penalty area way too easily on many occasions, including the Sterling dribble that led to the penalty. Offensively they looked like they had no interest in scoring for the majority of the game. No penetrating runs, no creative dribbling or passing combinations. They put up barely any fight after falling behind 2-1.

The better team beat the worse team 2-1, more at 11.

Could have very easily been a two or three goal margin.

ozarkman417

It's coming home to Rome!

Italy wins the UEFA EURO 2020 championship 1-1 by penalities, giving them their second title (first since 1968)

Meanwhile England is yet to win a EURO. I can't say I was wanting England to win for a simple reason: their fans.

US 89

Southgate made some really poor substitution decisions as far as I'm concerned.

NWI_Irish96

So Italy's Jorginho is a double European Champion--Champions League and Euro.

Bruce

All is right in the world. England really doesn't deserve to win anything until their fans take a lesson or two in humility.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.