News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

I was on TN-111 from Livingston all the way to Chattanooga yesterday on my way to Florida. IMHO, TN-111 should be a US Highway. Also, it would be a game-changer for Chicago/Indy -> Atlanta/Florida traffic if it (or a similar quality branch road) ran to meet I-65 somewhere in central Kentucky (between Cave City and Elizabethtown)

wriddle082

Quote from: ftballfan on February 29, 2020, 09:34:50 PM
I was on TN-111 from Livingston all the way to Chattanooga yesterday on my way to Florida. IMHO, TN-111 should be a US Highway. Also, it would be a game-changer for Chicago/Indy -> Atlanta/Florida traffic if it (or a similar quality branch road) ran to meet I-65 somewhere in central Kentucky (between Cave City and Elizabethtown)

Kentucky has had a parkway following the KY 61 corridor south of Elizabethtown on the books for some time.  If that had a proper connection to TN 111 in the Cookeville vicinity (not sure if what is currently proposed could be construed as proper), then that would be it.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on March 01, 2020, 01:52:39 PM

Kentucky has had a parkway following the KY 61 corridor south of Elizabethtown on the books for some time.  If that had a proper connection to TN 111 in the Cookeville vicinity (not sure if what is currently proposed could be construed as proper), then that would be it.

It's called the Heartland Parkway, but it's not a freeway like all the other parkway-named toll roads. It would be an improved surface route corridor, two lanes with truck lanes on the hills.

Remember, there's an ARC corridor that runs from KY 90 at Burkesville to I-40 in Tennessee that's equivalent to the section of TN 111 north of Livingston. KY 61 from Hodgenville to Columbia is not a great road, but KY 210 from Hodgenville to Campbellsville has been improved. There's an improved corridor that runs all the way from the Bluegrass Parkway to the Cumberland Parkway at Columbia (KY 555 and KY 55). And US 127 is being rebuilt between Jamestown and KY 90 near Albany, including a new Cumberland River crossing. So there are a number of options in Kentucky that make for good routes to the two north-south corridors in Tennessee between the state line and I-40.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on March 01, 2020, 05:10:07 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on March 01, 2020, 01:52:39 PM

It's called the Heartland Parkway, but it's not a freeway like all the other parkway-named toll roads. It would be an improved surface route corridor, two lanes with truck lanes on the hills.

Remember, there's an ARC corridor that runs from KY 90 at Burkesville to I-40 in Tennessee that's equivalent to the section of TN 111 north of Livingston. KY 61 from Hodgenville to Columbia is not a great road, but KY 210 from Hodgenville to Campbellsville has been improved. There's an improved corridor that runs all the way from the Bluegrass Parkway to the Cumberland Parkway at Columbia (KY 555 and KY 55). And US 127 is being rebuilt between Jamestown and KY 90 near Albany, including a new Cumberland River crossing. So there are a number of options in Kentucky that make for good routes to the two north-south corridors in Tennessee between the state line and I-40.

That US 127 rebuild can't be cheap with the terrain it is passing through.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tom958

In case anyone here doesn't know, TN 52 has recently been widened to four lanes from Livingston to Celina. Once it gets to Celina, though, it's not at all obvious whether there's an intent to continue widening on 53 to the northeast or 52 to the northwest. See what I mean?

If I ever have reason to drive from my house near Atlanta to Louisville or thereabouts, I'll likely take a shortcut via TN 111 and TN 52, but I'll have to wing it from there because Google ain't gonna tell me to take KY 61 or KY 210.

ftballfan

Quote from: Tom958 on March 01, 2020, 09:15:59 PM
In case anyone here doesn't know, TN 52 has recently been widened to four lanes from Livingston to Celina. Once it gets to Celina, though, it's not at all obvious whether there's an intent to continue widening on 53 to the northeast or 52 to the northwest. See what I mean?

If I ever have reason to drive from my house near Atlanta to Louisville or thereabouts, I'll likely take a shortcut via TN 111 and TN 52, but I'll have to wing it from there because Google ain't gonna tell me to take KY 61 or KY 210.
My route to get from I-65 to TN 52 was KY 70, KY 90, US 68, KY 1519, Cumberland Pkwy, KY 90, KY 839, KY 63, KY 163, and TN 51. KY 839 might be 20' wide if not narrower than that.
Street view of KY 839: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9035905,-85.7947838,3a,75y,137.48h,78.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slbBjcUN3ExznouYJKJm4_Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

hbelkins

Quote from: Tom958 on March 01, 2020, 09:15:59 PM

I drove TN 52 from Celina to Lafayette about 14 years ago. It wasn't a bad drive.

KY 163 is being improved from Tompkinsville to KY 90. KY 90 is improved from that area through Glasgow to I-65 at Cave City.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

Does anybody see this railroad bridge over TN 58 in Chattanooga? There's a bike lane along the northbound lane of this street. I see three other potential corridors where this could be placed without interfering with car or truck traffic beneath the bridge.

Tom958

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 18, 2020, 08:17:24 PM
Does anybody see this railroad bridge over TN 58 in Chattanooga? There's a bike lane along the northbound lane of this street. I see three other potential corridors where this could be placed without interfering with car or truck traffic beneath the bridge.

That's not a bike lane. That's called a "sharrow," an arrow that denotes a shared lane for bikes and motorized vehicles. It's probably intended to tell cyclists not to use the sidewalk.

Neat bridge.

Team445

It could be a spur of I-40. Maybe I-340?
South/Dixie

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Team445 on May 16, 2020, 01:20:57 AM

That's if TN DOT have some plans to upgrade the TN-111/I-40 interchange and approaches. https://satellites.pro/USA_map#36.133802,-85.481186,14

Team445

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 16, 2020, 08:11:28 AM
Quote from: Team445 on May 16, 2020, 01:20:57 AM

That's if TN DOT have some plans to upgrade the TN-111/I-40 interchange and approaches. https://satellites.pro/USA_map#36.133802,-85.481186,14

They also have to deal with a at-grade railroad crossing.
South/Dixie

I-39

Does anyone know when construction will begin on the Donelson Pike relocation by the Nashville airport?

wriddle082

Quote from: I-39 on May 31, 2020, 04:18:25 PM
Does anyone know when construction will begin on the Donelson Pike relocation by the Nashville airport?

That thing has been proposed for nearly 30 years now.  I'll probably be dead by the time it breaks ground.

Mapmikey

Check out an awesome high resolution 1967 color photo of Downtown Chattanooga...this is a short slide presentation and the photo to see is the 2nd one:

https://chattanoogahistory.com/1967.php

In addition to a ton of lovely cutouts, two things of interest jumped out at me:
1.  An I-124 shield on the right hand side
2.  If you look carefully on both the cutouts and the non-cutout shields, the cardinal directions are *inside* the arrows, even the single direction ones.  Tennessee still does a version of this on double-arrow panels but the letters are on the outside of the arrows.

Brian556

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 25, 2020, 06:41:52 AM
Check out an awesome high resolution 1967 color photo of Downtown Chattanooga...this is a short slide presentation and the photo to see is the 2nd one:

https://chattanoogahistory.com/1967.php

In addition to a ton of lovely cutouts, two things of interest jumped out at me:
1.  An I-124 shield on the right hand side
2.  If you look carefully on both the cutouts and the non-cutout shields, the cardinal directions are *inside* the arrows, even the single direction ones.  Tennessee still does a version of this on double-arrow panels but the letters are on the outside of the arrows.

Very nice, thanks for posting

Brooks

https://dailymemphian.com/article/12791/tdot-interstate-40-widening-lakeland-wolfchase

Apparently Memphis is getting its first diverging diamond interchange at the Interstate 40/US 64 interchange (Exit 18) in the Wolfchase area. This is badly needed as that area has frequent slowdowns and accidents (mainly headed eastbound in the evening). In addition I-40 will be widened from Germantown Pkwy to Collierville-Arlington Road, another rather congested section during rush hour. Despite the 2022 start date, I'm excited for this project but I'm also a bit nervous about how many people might be unfamiliar with how the DDI works.

I-39

Have they started construction on widening SR 96 from Arno Road to Wilson Pike (SR 252) in Williamson County?

I haven't been that way in a bit the website says it is now under construction with an estimated completion date of June 2024, it previously said it was forecasted to start in Q3 2020.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/state-route-96/timeline.html

I-55

Quote from: Brooks on August 18, 2020, 02:45:02 AM
https://dailymemphian.com/article/12791/tdot-interstate-40-widening-lakeland-wolfchase

Apparently Memphis is getting its first diverging diamond interchange at the Interstate 40/US 64 interchange (Exit 18) in the Wolfchase area. This is badly needed as that area has frequent slowdowns and accidents (mainly headed eastbound in the evening). In addition I-40 will be widened from Germantown Pkwy to Collierville-Arlington Road, another rather congested section during rush hour. Despite the 2022 start date, I'm excited for this project but I'm also a bit nervous about how many people might be unfamiliar with how the DDI works.

I wouldn't be too concerned since all the tourists who've used exit 407 to TN-66 have gone through that new interchange surprisingly well. Granted some of them (like me) have DDIs at home, but I'd imagine quite a few people had a brand new experience. It isn't like a DDI is overwhelmingly complicated to drive through, most DDIs I've seen are well signed and easy to follow. It's certainly easier to follow in my experience than an SPUI or a roundabout. The number of people I run into who don't know how to use roundabouts is far greater than the number of people who have issues at Fort Wayne's DDI.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

I-39

Quote from: I-39 on September 03, 2020, 03:29:02 PM
Have they started construction on widening SR 96 from Arno Road to Wilson Pike (SR 252) in Williamson County?

I haven't been that way in a bit the website says it is now under construction with an estimated completion date of June 2024, it previously said it was forecasted to start in Q3 2020.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/state-route-96/timeline.html

UPDATE: I drove by and they are indeed beginning construction on the first phase of this long overdue project. Excellent news!

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 10, 2015, 10:41:05 AM
TDOT has the intent to advertise the rebuild of US 27 in Chattanooga between I-24 and the Tennessee River bridge. The plans can be found here beside "From the I-24/I-124 Interchange to south of the Tennessee River Bridge" section.

Curiously, the plans keep referring to the road as I-124, but none of the signs that are to be installed reflect this.

Thought this project would be done by now, but it is still ongoing. Took US 27/I-124 in both directions on September 6, and paving is still underway, the northbound distributor roadway at W 4th Street is incomplete, and the only signs in place are supplemental ones for points of interest. Furthermore, the overheads on the Olgiati Bridge southbound are unchanged, still displaying the long since decommissioned SR 58 for Exit 1C.

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on September 14, 2020, 09:28:05 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 10, 2015, 10:41:05 AM
TDOT has the intent to advertise the rebuild of US 27 in Chattanooga between I-24 and the Tennessee River bridge. The plans can be found here beside "From the I-24/I-124 Interchange to south of the Tennessee River Bridge" section.

Curiously, the plans keep referring to the road as I-124, but none of the signs that are to be installed reflect this.

Thought this project would be done by now, but it is still ongoing. Took US 27/I-124 in both directions on September 6, and paving is still underway, the northbound distributor roadway at W 4th Street is incomplete, and the only signs in place are supplemental ones for points of interest. Furthermore, the overheads on the Olgiati Bridge southbound are unchanged, still displaying the long since decommissioned SR 58 for Exit 1C.

Looks like it won't be finished until sometime this fall, but it looks like they won't even make that deadline. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2019/dec/23/us-highway-27-improvement-project-through-downtown-chattanooga-delayed/511251/
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

UnumProvident101

I noticed recently that US 27 north is completed but US 27 south is not done when my dad was driving on Friday night

Revive 755

Anyone know if there were the plans to continue the TN 319/DuPont Parkway facility east of TN 153?  Seems odd a half diamond configuration would have been used if there were not extensions plans.

Brian556

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 22, 2020, 12:49:26 PM
Anyone know if there were the plans to continue the TN 319/DuPont Parkway facility east of TN 153?  Seems odd a half diamond configuration would have been used if there were not extensions plans.

I dunno, but my suspicion has always been that the TN 319 river crossing was primarily built be be used as a detour route for when TN 153 over the dam was upgraded to four lanes

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.