Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

I-39

Does anyone know if TDOT has plans to widen US 412/Bear Creek Pike to five lanes between I-65 and US 31 in Columbia?

hbelkins

Heard a report that Tennessee is adding a truck climbing lane to northbound I-75 up Pine Mountain north of Jacksboro heading toward Jellico. Can anyone confirm? If so, it's badly needed. Every time I have ever traveled that route, which has been dozens of times, micropassing trucks have been an issue.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Tom958

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2020, 08:00:57 PM
Heard a report that Tennessee is adding a truck climbing lane to northbound I-75 up Pine Mountain north of Jacksboro heading toward Jellico. Can anyone confirm? If so, it's badly needed. Every time I have ever traveled that route, which has been dozens of times, micropassing trucks have been an issue.

I posted some photos in that private Facebook group a little over a year ago. If there are new passing lanes, they're intermittent. Link

I'll be going back that way when the pandemic's over, but not until.

CYoder

The first DDI in the Tri-Cities opened a few months ago along I-26 at Boones Creek Rd.  Finally got to drive through it on Monday.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/tdot-new-traffic-pattern-now-open-at-boones-creek-interchange/

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CYoder on May 13, 2021, 03:30:55 PM
The first DDI in the Tri-Cities opened a few months ago along I-26 at Boones Creek Rd.  Finally got to drive through it on Monday.

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/tdot-new-traffic-pattern-now-open-at-boones-creek-interchange/

I had no idea they were making it into a DDI. It's been under construction for a while now.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on December 16, 2020, 08:40:36 PM
Does anyone know if TDOT has plans to widen US 412/Bear Creek Pike to five lanes between I-65 and US 31 in Columbia?

The ROW is certainly there for it.  I don't think it is warranted at this time. 

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 14, 2021, 08:43:28 AM

Yes, it will be needed eventually, but not quite yet. They need to get going on fixing the I-65/Bear Creek Pike interchange first. They keep saying that will get started and yet, nothing is coming of it.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on May 14, 2021, 10:49:42 AM

Yes, it will be needed eventually, but not quite yet. They need to get going on fixing the I-65/Bear Creek Pike interchange first. They keep saying that will get started and yet, nothing is coming of it.

Now that interchange is poorly designed even for older standards as well.

codyg1985

TDOT let that project in the most recent project letting.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

I-39

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 14, 2021, 11:51:08 AM

Where do you see that?

codyg1985

Quote from: I-39 on May 14, 2021, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on May 14, 2021, 11:51:08 AM

Where do you see that?

The bid results are on page 12 of this document
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/construction/2021_bid_lettings/may_7_2021_letting/20210507_ApparentBidResults.pdf
Cody Goodman

ukfan758

Drove through via I-65 yesterday and I couldn't help but notice just how awful the road surface has gotten so quickly between MM 29-45 and 111 to just south of the KY state line. These are not winter weather potholes, more like complete pavement failure. I also remember going southbound back in March and the road literally had a giant trench where the lane markers should be for several miles because of the pavement falling apart. Weren't these sections only resurfaced a few years ago (north of Nashville was done in 2017-2018 iirc)? Kentucky's section of 65 south of E-town has pavement of the same age or older yet is basically still in pristine condition. Did TDOT choose a horrible asphalt or did they hire Dollar Tree to lay it?

codyg1985

I noticed that too recently. It seems worse than it was even compared to last year. The open graded friction course pavement doesn't hold up well to trucks over time, and I don't believe Kentucky uses that type of pavement.
Cody Goodman

wriddle082

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 18, 2021, 06:35:04 AM
I noticed that too recently. It seems worse than it was even compared to last year. The open graded friction course pavement doesn't hold up well to trucks over time, and I don't believe Kentucky uses that type of pavement.

OGFC pavement is excellent for rainy conditions, as it cuts down on overspray and ponding drastically, but it's lifespan isn't nearly as long as Superpave.  I wanna say that Tennessee's main issue with OGFC is the locally-obtainable aggregate base used, which is limestone.  Limestone is much softer than granite, which is what they use in the Carolinas and Georgia.  In general, the pavements tend to hold up longer wherever granite is the base.

But these pavement issues could also be attributed to the contractor, and I would think that TDOT required the bid-winning contractor to warranty their work for a certain period of time, especially if it's interstate pavement.  I wonder what the standard warranty would be on pavement projects like this for most DOTs...

ukfan758

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 18, 2021, 08:42:34 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on May 18, 2021, 06:35:04 AM

OGFC pavement is excellent for rainy conditions, as it cuts down on overspray and ponding drastically, but it's lifespan isn't nearly as long as Superpave.  I wanna say that Tennessee's main issue with OGFC is the locally-obtainable aggregate base used, which is limestone.  Limestone is much softer than granite, which is what they use in the Carolinas and Georgia.  In general, the pavements tend to hold up longer wherever granite is the base.

But these pavement issues could also be attributed to the contractor, and I would think that TDOT required the bid-winning contractor to warranty their work for a certain period of time, especially if it's interstate pavement.  I wonder what the standard warranty would be on pavement projects like this for most DOTs...

https://www.wsmv.com/news/stretch-of-i-65-deteriorates-due-to-contractor-errors/article_a647d2c6-443a-11e9-8476-d76ee1cbd261.html

I did a little searching and back in 2019 it looks like they had a similar issue (heck the news video shows a section that looks nearly the same as the second photo I posted). That was contractor error, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case again.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ukfan758 on May 18, 2021, 05:16:16 AM

It seems particularly weird to me that the pavement disappeared more under the lane lines. You'd think the paint would offer some measure of protection.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 18, 2021, 01:49:14 PM

It seems particularly weird to me that the pavement disappeared more under the lane lines. You'd think the paint would offer some measure of protection.

Does Tennessee use the recessed snowplowable pavement markers? It's been eons since I have been on I-65 south of the state line.

My boss has had to take his father to Vandy's medical center a couple of times the last few months for cancer treatment. He mentioned to me the other day just how bad a shape I-65 is in once you cross the state line.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2021, 02:05:05 PM

Does Tennessee use the recessed snowplowable pavement markers? It's been eons since I have been on I-65 south of the state line.

My boss has had to take his father to Vandy's medical center a couple of times the last few months for cancer treatment. He mentioned to me the other day just how bad a shape I-65 is in once you cross the state line.

Tennessee places its snowplowable pavement markers on the surface without the use of a depression in the pavement for the marker.
Cody Goodman

I-39

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 18, 2021, 02:52:19 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2021, 02:05:05 PM

Tennessee places its snowplowable pavement markers on the surface without the use of a depression in the pavement for the marker.

Aren't they suppose to be rebuilding/widening I-65 to six lanes between the state line and Goodlettsville in the coming years?

wriddle082

^

Yes, and I think they're gonna start at the state line and take it down as far as TN 25.  Not sure what their timeline is for starting on this, though.

Avalanchez71

I usually just use US 31W and sometimes US 31E through this stretch.  Having said that I don't agree that it needs to be six lanes.  The four lanes is fine and TN needs to concentrate on fixing I-65 now anyway.  They hosed Tennesseans with a gas tax increase and added an extra $100 for registration on EV vehicles to boot.  Now get to work on maintenance. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 19, 2021, 10:49:37 AM
I usually just use US 31W and sometimes US 31E through this stretch.  Having said that I don't agree that it needs to be six lanes.  The four lanes is fine and TN needs to concentrate on fixing I-65 now anyway.  They hosed Tennesseans with a gas tax increase and added an extra $100 for registration on EV vehicles to boot.  Now get to work on maintenance.

I-65 is the most heavily-used trucking highway in Kentucky. Kentucky six-laned the entire route, including segments between E-town and Bowling Green. The segment between BG and Nashville has to be more heavily-traveled than BG and E-town. If I-65 in Kentucky is six lanes, then the route in Tennessee definitely needs to be six lanes.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on May 19, 2021, 01:07:11 PM

I-65 is the most heavily-used trucking highway in Kentucky. Kentucky six-laned the entire route, including segments between E-town and Bowling Green. The segment between BG and Nashville has to be more heavily-traveled than BG and E-town. If I-65 in Kentucky is six lanes, then the route in Tennessee definitely needs to be six lanes.

I recall the widening project.  I remember at one time you could travel way outside or way inside.  Then one time it was almost like a super two in spots.  I-65 and I-40 have a large volume of trucks in Tennessee.  The four lanes is fine.

ukfan758

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 20, 2021, 08:04:46 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 19, 2021, 01:07:11 PM

I recall the widening project.  I remember at one time you could travel way outside or way inside.  Then one time it was almost like a super two in spots.  I-65 and I-40 have a large volume of trucks in Tennessee.  The four lanes is fine.

Is it really fine though? Because every single day during evening rush hour traffic backs up at the Goodlettsville exits to Old Hickory Blvd  because someone at TDOT thought having 65 go from 5 lanes to 2 in less than a mile was an excellent idea. The moment you cross into Tennessee going south  you'll be lucky to go 70 compared to smooth sailing at 80-85 through most of Kentucky, all thanks to capacity being reduced and having to sit behind semis passing each other at 55. That section is incredibly dangerous and widening to 3 lanes would mean larger shoulders and would put an end to awful cross-median accidents.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.