News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 58(Midtown Tunnel)/I-264(Downtown Tunnel) and MLK Freeway Extension

Started by 74/171FAN, February 24, 2009, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Plans for the MLK Freeway Extension and the parallel Midtown Tunnel are moving forwards.

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/statewide/2009/independent_review_panel_to38854.asp and if unable to be found http://www.midtowntunnel.org/ to find the current proposal go to the link above then go to document library scroll down to "Procurement" and click on "Elizabeth River Crossings conceptual proposal"             

These projects have been needed for a while, however, I am not sure about how many would want to pay a congestion rate toll going to Downtown Norfolk.  Also does anyone know a proposed number for the MLK Freeway Extension(mine would be US 460 taking over US 460 ALT's old route as stated in earlier posts, US 460 would also follow US 58 through the Midtown Tunnel to Granby St in Norfolk)?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

deathtopumpkins

I seriously don't see people using that... especially not PAYING to do so.  :pan: The only point of it that I can foresee is providing a connection between the Western Freeway and I-264, which doesn't seem necessary IMO due to the fact that the two freeways run parallel. Traffic coming from downtown Norfolk to I-264 WB might use it to avoid the Downtown Tunnel and Berkeley Bridge, but not if there is a toll... meh, until someone shows me some statistics that show otherwise, I'm sticking by my theory that no one will use it...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

deathtopumpkins

Well no one I know would pay a toll to avoid the Downtown Tunnel. It's not bad enough to warrant people traveling through a good bit of Norfolk on surface streets to the north, then turn west and go through a tunnel, then take another freeway back south to I-264. Too far out of the way AND tolled. Too much more of an inconvenience than dealing with the Downtown Tunnel.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

74/171FAN

The realization here is that if this proposal goes through that citizens of Portsmouth and Norfolk will have to drive to I-64 or US 13(Military Hwy) to avoid the Tunnel tolls.  I doubt that many would do that but I could see some desperate drivers not wanting to pay a toll clog up I-64 or even US 13.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

deathtopumpkins

froggie, I think even areas like Ghent would still be closer to I-264 downtown, though EVMS maybe not... all I know is that there are much more needed things VDOT should be concerned on than extending the MLK Freeway. Widening the Midtown I'm good with, just not tolling it.

And 74/171FAN, I agree... I'm sure there are people who would do that. Hell, I would!

74/171FAN

I know they tried to raise the gas tax in the Hampton Roads Area years back to fund projects including the parallel Midtown Tunnel but it got turned down.  Either the citizens try another vote to raise the gas tax or it has to be tolled and I know they won't raise taxes especially in these economic times.

deathtopumpkins

No, that passed. I remember the controversial legislation getting passed a few years ago, though I don't remember what all was increased. I think it was just ticket fines, car taxes, etc. No increased gas tax though.

froggie: Yeah I guess as the crow flies it is closer...

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.