News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 27, 2016, 10:03:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 26, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2016, 04:20:37 PM
Regarding two directions on one sign, there's a sign on eastbound I-66 approaching Exit 60 in Virginia that has the Route 123 shield with the words "SOUTH" and "NORTH" stacked atop each other (South on top) to the right of the shield.

Posting via iPhone so no Street View link. I'll add one later if nobody beats me to it.

You mean this?

-photo-
The even more odd sign is the "BEGIN HERE TO EXIT". What's so hard about that?
I think it's to try to prevent people from being in that lane earlier, as the lane is still there before that sign (but I'm not from that area, so I'm not exactly sure).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

riiga

Quote from: SD Mapman on March 28, 2016, 12:11:31 AM
Regarding two directions on one sign, there's a sign on eastbound I-66 approaching Exit 60 in Virginia that has the Route 123 shield with the words "SOUTH" and "NORTH" stacked atop each other (South on top) to the right of the shield.

Posting via iPhone so no Street View link. I'll add one later if nobody beats me to it.

You mean this?

-photo-
I think it's to try to prevent people from being in that lane earlier, as the lane is still there before that sign (but I'm not from that area, so I'm not exactly sure).

That's what the solid white line is for, no?

Mapmikey

Quote from: riiga on March 28, 2016, 04:43:08 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on March 28, 2016, 12:11:31 AM

You mean this?

-photo-

That's what the solid white line is for, no?

This sign is there because during times that are not the afternoon rush hour that right lane is the shoulder and VDOT is telling you where the shoulder stops and the exit lane area begins.  Note the reddish pavement just before this sign - this is the shoulder that is open to traffic during the afternoon rush...

Mike

jeffandnicole

In case we're not entirely clear here, the shoulder is used as a travel lane during the rush hour...although the time the shoulder is open is more like 1/4 of the day now.  Even though signage may indicate what time the lane is open, the arrows above the lane are the actual indication of the lane's valid use.  One trip not too long ago, it was about 8:45pm and the shoulder was still open, even though the signage say the shoulder should have been open only until 8pm.  Anyway...This "Begin to Exit Here" sign is used to simply note the beginning of the traditional decal lane.  In other words, don't ride the shoulder for a mile during offpeak periods.

1995hoo

That's actually eastbound, so the shoulder is normally open as a lane on weekday mornings (5:00—11:00; westbound they do the same from 14:00—20:00). Since they added more sophisticated lane-control signals a year or so ago they've been opening the shoulder more often, though. I've seen it open to traffic on weekends more than once over the course of this past winter.

None of this prevents the self-important MFFY types from using the shoulder whenever traffic speeds don't suit their taste, of course. I think it's a $75 fine if you drive there when the red "X" is illuminated.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tckma

[/quote]

The shoulder of I-66 is used as an extra lane during rush hours when HOV restrictions are in place for the left lane.  This drops the acceleration/deceleration lanes for on- and off-ramps.  Hence, "Begin to exit here."

noelbotevera

So after this ramp, does the shoulder materialize out of nowhere again to form a travel lane, or is there a "BEGIN TO EXIT HERE" sign at the next onramp?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

1995hoo

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 29, 2016, 03:27:55 PM
So after this ramp, does the shoulder materialize out of nowhere again to form a travel lane, or is there a "BEGIN TO EXIT HERE" sign at the next onramp?

The shoulder/part-time lane is the one in the reddish-brown color in this satellite view. This discussion has been focusing on the side of the road towards the bottom of the image. The colored portion ends at the point where people are to cut across it to exit, then resumes again after that point. Note it does the same thing for entering traffic on the other side of the road, though of course there is no "BEGIN TO EXIT" sign when it's an entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8670828,-77.3176037,366m/data=!3m1!1e3

(The image will be clearer if you turn off labels.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Sam

Quote from: Zeffy on March 12, 2016, 10:50:10 AM
Port Jervis, NY:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3581705,-74.6831238,3a,44.6y,189.76h,89.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_VIgPTc4IqfQsu_T5ZikXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And a Pennsylvania "Blue Detour" sign just east of there. Not unique, not odd, just interesting. Obviously directing traffic back to I-84, but I've never seen one in New York before.

PHLBOS

Poster child for the notion that combining picture messages (pedestrian & bicycle crossing) into one single sign isn't always a good idea.  The cyclist appears to be hitting the pedestrian with his front wheel and also appears to be attempting to do a wheelie in the process.  :-D
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 30, 2016, 01:49:46 PM
Poster child for the notion that combining picture messages (pedestrian & bicycle crossing) into one single sign isn't always a good idea.  The cyclist appears to be hitting the pedestrian with his front wheel and also appears to be attempting to do a wheelie in the process.  :-D

Certainly a unique sign (+1), though the construction is of poor-quality (-1). I still like the sign, though. Gets the "multi-modal" point of the sign across.

Ian

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 30, 2016, 01:49:46 PM

I think this may be a MdSHA standard sign actually. I've seen it elsewhere throughout the state.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

tckma

Quote from: Ian on March 30, 2016, 05:13:36 PM
I think this may be a MdSHA standard sign actually. I've seen it elsewhere throughout the state.

I live in Maryland, and drive extensively in the Baltimore/DC areas, and I have never seen one of these.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tckma on March 31, 2016, 06:17:00 PM
Quote from: Ian on March 30, 2016, 05:13:36 PM

I live in Maryland, and drive extensively in the Baltimore/DC areas, and I have never seen one of these.

There are definitely other Maryland locations with a ped and bike on one sign, though maybe not so much with the ramming nature...

https://goo.gl/maps/SHNGCZJKjaD2 (off MD 355 at NIH)
https://goo.gl/maps/2D4Eo9VtWHu (MacArthur Blvd in Glen Echo)

https://goo.gl/maps/oYCcH6VLTCU2 (Jones Br Rd in Bethesda, with the ramming version)

Mike

jeffandnicole

Usually I would post this on my 295/76/42 contruction thread, but felt it was interesting enough for here...

Temporary 295 over South over 42 narrow signage. Former signage used to be wider where 42 shield was next to 295's shield.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Ian

This is certainly a first for me. It's along ME 156 near Farmington Falls, ME (and yes, at the bridge is a sign like the one depicted on this one).

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Some stencil font along NY 9N in Sabbath Day Point. There's plenty more of that in the area. Not bad enough to be "worst of", but far from acceptable.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Eth

Quote from: Zeffy on April 03, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
This sign seems like it's referencing a street that is 15 miles away.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.5614905,-87.3739143,3a,15y,4.34h,89.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqXeVOV8gVakEPJeGxVq6ZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yep, that's the next exit (there's a whooooole lot of nothing along much of I-10 in Florida, and I guess part of Alabama in this case). Standard Florida practice (at least in rural areas) is to put the next exit on a mileage sign like that shortly after the previous exit.

Quote from: Zeffy on April 03, 2016, 09:57:07 PM
I like the design of this one, minus the Clearview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6633163,-87.8519393,3a,15y,296.54h,111.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssC3s8EbUeG-C94nmDNtC1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The empty Interstate shield bugs me. Here's one with an empty US shield. Put a number in it (US 80 here) and I'd like it.

formulanone

Quote from: Eth on April 03, 2016, 10:51:58 PM
The empty Interstate shield bugs me. Here's one with an empty US shield. Put a number in it (US 80 here) and I'd like it.

It's an Alabama practice, so it's on many overpasses. The missing numbers bug me, too...why are the blank shields even there?

At least the road crossing over gets the right shield and numbers.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: formulanone on April 05, 2016, 12:51:09 PM
Quote from: Eth on April 03, 2016, 10:51:58 PM

It's an Alabama practice, so it's on many overpasses. The missing numbers bug me, too...why are the blank shields even there?

At least the road crossing over gets the right shield and numbers.
It's probably a way ALDOT saves money on making those signs. A lot easier to use a template design without the numbers than it is to add numbers for each route.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kkt

I still don't get it.  Why would the motorist care about it being a US route if they don't know which one?  They could save even more money by not putting a shield on at all.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2016, 01:48:11 PM
I still don't get it.  Why would the motorist care about it being a US route if they don't know which one?  They could save even more money by not putting a shield on at all.

Because ALDOT.
Though maybe they could use money that they'd save from not using any shields to get the street names on them correct... (Should be Sparkman Dr/Bob Wallace Ave in the first link, and Old Madison Pike in the second link)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SD Mapman

Found in Fayette, MO:
This was weird.

Old punch-out speed limit sign.

Is blue the preferred color for noise ordinance signs?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.