News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 29, 2016, 06:54:54 PM
I was told these Sibley County creations probably fit here.

Put hyphens between them, remove the Minnesota shield, and then this photo belongs on the Eastern Seaboard.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

CrystalWalrein

freebrickproductions

This CR 420 shield in Lauderdale County, AL seems to have been rather sloppily made:
CR 420 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also, I saw three other posts where CR 420 shields had been in the area, but were all gone. This was the only one left. The others must've been stolen.

(NB4 weed jokes.)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

plain

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 29, 2016, 04:41:00 PM
A weird mileage fraction in Pensacola, FL

IMG_7114 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Here's one in Virginia. This actually replaced a BGS that was mounted on the overpass and basically said the same thing as the current side mounted one, mileage fraction and all
https://goo.gl/maps/Y9JJk3EdLBR2
Newark born, Richmond bred

3web

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 22, 2016, 02:04:03 AM
This CR 420 shield in Lauderdale County, AL seems to have been rather sloppily made:

Also, I saw three other posts where CR 420 shields had been in the area, but were all gone. This was the only one left. The others must've been stolen.

(NB4 weed jokes.)

Heh, they must have been on weed making that sign!
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

jeffandnicole

freebrickproductions

I just realized we've reached 100 pages of weird and unusual road signs. Wow.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jay8g

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2016, 03:00:06 AM
Any idea how common these signs are ("One vehicle in median at a time")? Washington uses them sparingly on divided highways:

Somewhat late reply, but I've seen something similar in concept on US-50 in Virginia in the vicinity of the South Riding development. The signs there say "NO DOUBLE STACKING IN CROSSOVER." I presume it means that if one car is pulled out waiting to turn, another car isn't supposed to pull out next to that person, but to me it sounds more like they're telling you not to eat Five Guys burgers there.

Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9249364,-77.5075039,3a,75y,267.66h,94.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seG9WQ9Ll3PLSxncAWZ0J9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignGeek101

"Acceleration Lane" Sign:
https://goo.gl/maps/2SqHJTS6WeT2

This intersection is being replaced with a DDI by the end of 2018 so this sign will no longer be here.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2016, 09:47:53 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2016, 03:00:06 AM
Any idea how common these signs are ("One vehicle in median at a time")? Washington uses them sparingly on divided highways:

Somewhat late reply, but I've seen something similar in concept on US-50 in Virginia in the vicinity of the South Riding development. The signs there say "NO DOUBLE STACKING IN CROSSOVER." I presume it means that if one car is pulled out waiting to turn, another car isn't supposed to pull out next to that person, but to me it sounds more like they're telling you not to eat Five Guys burgers there.

Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9249364,-77.5075039,3a,75y,267.66h,94.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seG9WQ9Ll3PLSxncAWZ0J9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
DUUUUDDDEEEEE I love Five Guys!!!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jbnv

Quote from: epzik8 on January 05, 2017, 11:11:09 PM
DUUUUDDDEEEEE I love Five Guys!!!

Five Guys is a great burger and fries, but you pay for that quality.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Truvelo

I couldn't resist taking a photo of this awful US 66 shield I saw the other night.

Speed limits limit life

jakeroot

Saw this street blade in Bellevue, WA today. Not a unique sign, obviously. But the font is sure strange. I took my own photo, but this Street View capture is closer and easier to assess.

Any idea what font this is? Reminds me a bit of Myriad Pro. Of the four "108th Ave NE" street blades along this stretch, two use this typeface. This is the other.

thenetwork

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2017, 07:24:50 PM
Saw this street blade in Bellevue, WA today. Not a unique sign, obviously. But the font is sure strange. I took my own photo, but this Street View capture is closer and easier to assess.

Any idea what font this is? Reminds me a bit of Myriad Pro. Of the four "108th Ave NE" street blades along this stretch, two use this typeface. This is the other.

Tis the evil Clearview!

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on January 06, 2017, 09:05:46 PM

http://i.imgur.com/KClD1oH.png

Tis the evil Clearview!

I don't think it's Clearview. Besides the fact that it just doesn't scream Clearview to me (I'm usually pretty good at spotting it), the city of Bellevue does not use Clearview. Neither does WSDOT (who owns the overpass in the photo, but does not maintain the freeway interchange where this street blade is situated (primary giveaways of this are the crosswalk style (transverse markings, used by only a few cities in Washington) and the lack of retroreflective borders around the signals (Bellevue does not use these borders))).

Michael

I was just looking around Street View, and I stumbled on this ugly TO banner above a classic NY 97 shield with the letters NY on top.  The 97 looks like it might be in the LeHay font, but I'm not sure.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2017, 10:36:09 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 06, 2017, 09:05:46 PM

http://i.imgur.com/KClD1oH.png

Tis the evil Clearview!

I don't think it's Clearview. Besides the fact that it just doesn't scream Clearview to me (I'm usually pretty good at spotting it), the city of Bellevue does not use Clearview. Neither does WSDOT (who owns the overpass in the photo, but does not maintain the freeway interchange where this street blade is situated (primary giveaways of this are the crosswalk style (transverse markings, used by only a few cities in Washington) and the lack of retroreflective borders around the signals (Bellevue does not use these borders))).

It's not Clearview. It's Frutiger.

Not every sans-serif font that isn't FHWA Series is Clearview, guys.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2017, 04:47:58 AM
It's not Clearview. It's Frutiger.

Thanks. I haven't seen Frutiger on a road sign before.

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2017, 04:47:58 AM
Not every sans-serif font that isn't FHWA Series is Clearview, guys.

Hey, that weren't me. I knew the moment I saw it that it wasn't Clearview.

KEVIN_224

A couple of these popped up recently in downtown New Britain, CT:

The symbol on the left is a beehive, which is a big part of our city's seal:

I can't figure out what font that is on those blades, however.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

plain

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2017, 12:18:35 PM

I've never seen one with an arrow.

that symbol under "traffic" looks like a Pennsylvania state route shield
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.