News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on June 29, 2017, 05:40:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 29, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
Right, I think that's a valid way of designing it. So long as there's some sort of cue that it is a supplemental sign and not part of the main series of destination signs.

The last time I got "lost" was in 2007, because of a series of signs in DC that changed the "official" destination legend from panel to panel. DC-295 just spontaneously vanished and was replaced by "Pennsylvania Avenue" on later panels. So, lacking confidence in whether that was the exit I wanted, I ended up in Anacostia instead. Whoops. (Such destination legend rotation between panels is explicitly forbidden in the MUTCD, but DDOT is pretty weird in a lot of ways. "US Senate" and "US House" are apparently different destinations, despite being technically housed in the same building, etc.)

But they're not the same building.  The Senate office buildings are NE of the Capitol, the House buildings are south of it.
Those are where the work gets done (such as it does).  The Capitol Building is for floor votes and tourists.

If you're going to the Dirksen/Rayburn/whatever building, you know what you're doing enough that you probably don't need a guide sign to get there.......

For most of the public if they want to see the "House" or the "Senate", they're looking for that building on the back of the $50 bill.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I thought it was "US Senate" and "The House" (a lack of parallelism that really stuck out to me when I lived and worked in the metro DC area), and that those exits off I-395 led to parking garages which only members of Congress and their staffers could use.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

tckma

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 30, 2017, 11:24:40 AM
I thought it was "US Senate" and "The House" (a lack of parallelism that really stuck out to me when I lived and worked in the metro DC area), and that those exits off I-395 led to parking garages which only members of Congress and their staffers could use.

Most state governments also have a State Senate, but the population-based body is called something different:  Maryland House of Delegates, New York State Assembly, et. al.  So "US Senate" disambiguates from state senates, but The House is just The House.

(Although, if I see the words "Maryland House," I think of the rest stop on I-95.  Usually we say "House of Delegates.")

Brian556

paulthemapguy

Get a load of this craziness.

This photo is taken facing northbound on I-74 in Moline, IL, at IL-5.  The NB-to-EB ramp is closed, and this picture shows the detour established by IDOT.  They want northbound cars to use three leaves of the cloverleaf to reach the eastbound lanes of IL-5!  It works, but just....why??  And do they really expect the average non-roadgeek motorist to understand this upon their first glance at this sign?

IMG_9217 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 01, 2017, 09:56:28 PM

This photo is taken facing northbound on I-74 in Moline, IL, at IL-5.  The NB-to-EB ramp is closed, and this picture shows the detour established by IDOT.  They want northbound cars to use three leaves of the cloverleaf to reach the eastbound lanes of IL-5!  It works, but just....why??  And do they really expect the average non-roadgeek motorist to understand this upon their first glance at this sign?

At first glance, allI saw were lines.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 10:57:15 PM

At first glance, allI saw were lines.

It looks like the Apple command symbol.

jakeroot

The diagram is fine, but there better be loads of "DETOUR ->" signs. There's no way someone could figure everything out at a quick glance. Even roadgeeks (judging by the above comments) might be a bit flustered (at least at first).

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 02, 2017, 12:56:07 AM

The diagram is fine, but there better be loads of "DETOUR ->" signs. There's no way someone could figure everything out at a quick glance. Even roadgeeks (judging by the above comments) might be a bit flustered (at least at first).

It's very hard to decipher a sign like that at highway speeds.  But, I assume that using 3 loops would be the most efficient detour, and yes, I beleive that other state that do a similar detour will have "DETOUR" signs throughout the loops to make it easier.  Technically, the detour signs would only be needed on the first 2 loops with signs saying "DETOUR IL-5 EAST".  The third loop is permanently signed for IL-5 East.

This is a freeway version of using 3 lefts to make a right.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: mrsman on July 02, 2017, 11:07:38 AM
...But you still can't make 2 wrongs. :bigass: :pan:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jet380

Or more technically, using 9 rights to make a right! I think there'd be some dizzy drivers out there  :spin:

US 89

Quote from: Jet380 on July 02, 2017, 07:55:01 PM

Or more technically, using 9 rights to make a right! I think there'd be some dizzy drivers out there  :spin:

Funny, we were just discussing this in another thread.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 02, 2017, 09:00:40 PM
Quote from: Jet380 on July 02, 2017, 07:55:01 PM

Funny, we were just discussing this in another thread.

So...much metaquoting...can't make sense...of anything...

As an aside, here's something I learned about Iowa that I love.  They have signs directing you to all the access points along different rivers for you to go boating.  They're very active about posting signage for all of them, and I think that rocks.  Here's an example in Keosaqua, Iowa.

It's a windshield photo, so the contrast is less than stellar.  The sign I'm referring to is at the right side of the frame.

IA-001VKeosaqua by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

theline

A similar detour has been in effect this construction season near Michigan City, IN. The ramp from EB I-94 leading to EB US 20 and SB US 35 is closed for reconstruction and traffic is detoured around 3 loops. No diagram sign like this one was erected there. They just have the usual detour signs at each ramp. In addition, both highways have lane restrictions, adding to the confusion. It's a heavily-traveled route, especially by trucks. I've seen a lot of confused drivers when I've driven through there. I've not seen any accidents, but I suspect there've been more than a few.

Bluenoser

The small Quebec village of St-Justin has this little number at the corner of Duchesnay and Guerin, featuring a tab indicating the stop is actually 19m (62' 4") away:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.2517689,-73.0859997,3a,15y,349.61h,86.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4vh5ACao6946AMXlkT7fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

US 89

Quote from: Bluenoser on July 04, 2017, 04:35:28 PM
The small Quebec village of St-Justin has this little number at the corner of Duchesnay and Guerin, featuring a tab indicating the stop is actually 19m (62' 4") away:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.2517689,-73.0859997,3a,15y,349.61h,86.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4vh5ACao6946AMXlkT7fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What was wrong with putting the stop sign at the actual intersection?

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 04, 2017, 11:22:17 PM
Quote from: Bluenoser on July 04, 2017, 04:35:28 PM

What was wrong with putting the stop sign at the actual intersection?

Doesn't look like there was any room for one. Asphalt from left sidewalk all the way to the building on the right.

PHLBOS

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 03, 2017, 08:11:22 PMHere's an example in Keosaqua, Iowa.

It's a windshield photo, so the contrast is less than stellar.  The sign I'm referring to is at the right side of the frame.

IA-001VKeosaqua by Paul Drives, on Flickr
That Sinclair station sign on the left jumped out at me more than anything.  I didn't think that Sinclair, as a brand, still existed in the U.S.  All the ones in eastern Massachusetts became BPs and then later Gibbs during the 70s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadfro

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 05, 2017, 09:57:29 AM
That Sinclair station sign on the left jumped out at me more than anything.  I didn't think that Sinclair, as a brand, still existed in the U.S.  All the ones in eastern Massachusetts became BPs and then later Gibbs during the 70s.

Sinclair stations are still around. According to their website locator map, locations appear to be concentrated west of the Mississippi River excluding southern states.

According to the Wikipedia page, ARCO purchased Sinclair in 1969 but had to divest of certain assets, so they sold the Sinclair's east coast operations to BP.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kkt

Quote from: tckma on June 30, 2017, 01:31:25 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 30, 2017, 11:24:40 AM

Most state governments also have a State Senate, but the population-based body is called something different:  Maryland House of Delegates, New York State Assembly, et. al.  So "US Senate" disambiguates from state senates, but The House is just The House.

(Although, if I see the words "Maryland House," I think of the rest stop on I-95.  Usually we say "House of Delegates.")

Washington State's lower chamber is called the House of Representatives.  But I don't think too many drivers on I-395 are lost looking for Olympia.

Kniwt

Just outside Duluth today. Presumably erected by the county, but still odd:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Kniwt on July 05, 2017, 08:14:43 PM

Pine and Carlton counties both have put up old US-61 markers. I don't remember seeing any in Chisago County.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 06, 2017, 09:55:34 AM
Quote from: Kniwt on July 05, 2017, 08:14:43 PM

Pine and Carlton counties both have put up old US-61 markers. I don't remember seeing any in Chisago County.

That was one of the US Highway decommissionings that made less sense. Even with the nonstandard design and huge numerals, it's still cool that it's being signed.

Rothman

Don't know if anyone shared this one before.  Found a few of these along the frontage road to Washington Ave Extension in the Albany Area (can't remember if it's Albany, Guilderland, Colonie or whatever other town comes into the mix before it hits New Karner).  I suppose they wanted to be extra clear in case "No Parking Any Time" was taken to mean a lifetime ban everywhere.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

On US 1 (Brook Rd) in Henrico County, VA just north of Richmond

https://goo.gl/maps/25SvPspmX6L2

Not sure but I believe Henrico County did this instead of VDOT
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.