News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: Michael on February 21, 2018, 08:44:28 PM
While playing GeoGuessr earlier, I came across this weird sign on a span wire in Ohio.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Has anyone else seen such a thing and is it a possibly legal requirement in Ohio?

As soon as I started reading ^^^, I knew exactly what you were talking about before I even saw the sign. :)

Unless ODOT has revived them in recent years, that is a relic of at least the 1960s and 1970s (or earlier).  Most ODOT-installed signals (traffic lights, flashing beacons and flashing school zone lights) outside of urban areas -- I usually saw them outside of the larger cities & their suburbs -- had those little yellow signs on span-wire signals or poles back in the day.   They either said PERMIT NO: xxxx or SIGNAL NO: xxxx.

As the years rolled on into the 1980s and beyond, as signals and/or intersections were upgraded those signs were taken down with the old assemblies. 

Likely a way to identify signals in areas where there were no street blades to refer to if the signals were malfunctioning.

Another thing I remember the state of Ohio used to do was require outdoor billboard signs to have a special "license plate" (just like vehicle license plates) attached to them (IIRC, they were either white on royal blue or maroon plates). You still might find a few of those in the wild like the yellow signal signs.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2119736,-87.4410869,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH2bUh9AkCeBymYhx0S-T4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 This is odd as on I-169 (former Penryville Parkway) the straight through lanes to I-69 N Bound is signed as a left exit. 

Ditto for the WP as it reaches the SB ramp to the former Penryville has the through lanes leading into I-69 also signed as a left exit as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

jakeroot

Quote from: TBKS1 on February 22, 2018, 11:24:03 PM
It's opposite day!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4765/39536036925_fb16e77a34_b.jpg

This is not on Google Street View.

Definitely one of those signs that doesn't seem entirely necessary, but can certainly prove helpful, especially in neighborhoods with many unsigned three and four way intersections (quite common in my neck of the woods).

mrpablue

jakeroot

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Mapmikey

Quote from: mrpablue on February 23, 2018, 11:46:27 AM
There are green I-30 Biz signs in St Helens, Oregon.

GSV http://bit.ly/2EWvMuv

GMSV shows there are least 6 more of these shields in town, though they do not post a required turn in one direction.  Really odd error to make...Oregon doesn't have interstate business routes.  Also this route isn't posted from mainline US 30 anywhere...

KEVIN_224

And "LIMIT" is missing from the sign above that, too! Odd! :)

myosh_tino

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 25, 2018, 08:49:59 AM
And "LIMIT" is missing from the sign above that, too! Odd! :)

That may be odd to you but it's the standard (until recently) in Oregon.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

1995hoo

This is in today's comics. I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, so I thought this one seemed the most appropriate, although I suppose you could argue "Best of" might work too.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Max Rockatansky

freebrickproductions

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 09, 2018, 02:15:45 PM
I want to say that I remember seeing a picture where ALDOT experimented with dual imperial/metric signage on AL 255 back in the 70s.
Found this one on Facebook today. Not quite an ALDOT install, but this was taken on Drake Avenue in April of 1974:

Doing some looking on street view, it appears that it had been located right about here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7052509,-86.5822484,3a,50.9y,56.8h,82.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suuepgwoPTs9ghsSUvf-VkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EDIT: Apparently, this is where the picture was actually taken:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7052675,-86.5783123,3a,36.4y,51.25h,89.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHMZG5BCwyWU82vuAfIuYHA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

Here's a weird sign I found on GSV in Cottonwood Heights, UT. It reads "Yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic."

Shouldn't this be obvious? Maybe this intersection sees a lot of accidents related to failure to yield?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 05, 2018, 06:15:55 PM
Shouldn't this be obvious? Maybe this intersection sees a lot of accidents related to failure to yield?

Should be, but sadly, isn't always.

csw

Here's a weird sign I found on GSV in Cottonwood Heights, UT. It reads "Yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic."

Lots of signals like that have (or at least used to) a sign that says "Yield on green" located next to them, I'm guessing since there's a crosswalk right there they just edited the text a little bit to include the pedestrians.

US 89

Quote from: csw on March 05, 2018, 08:29:24 PM

Lots of signals like that have (or at least used to) a sign that says "Yield on green" located next to them, I'm guessing since there's a crosswalk right there they just edited the text a little bit to include the pedestrians.

Are you talking about this sign?

That is usually used with PPLT installations with doghouses or 5-light towers, to remind drivers that even when the arrow isn't on, they can still go on a green light after yielding. I've never seen a sign like that specifying pedestrians and oncoming traffic.

MNHighwayMan

That'd be the one. But there's also R10-15, which is the standard version of what should be used at that intersection above:

The sign used, however, seems to be trying to combine the two messages into one sign.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 05, 2018, 08:50:18 PM
That'd be the one. But there's also R10-15, which is the standard version of what should be used at that intersection above:

The sign used, however, seems to be trying to combine the two messages into one sign.

IMO, the best way to do that would be to post both signs separately.
Here's an all-text version of the R10-15 sign in Salt Lake City. Using this sign here does make sense, since 600 South is a one-way street.

MNHighwayMan

Using both signs seems excessive, with R10-12 bring general enough in wording to cover both in normal situations. Only reason I'd use both signs is if the turn has a bad history of collisions with pedestrians, and even then I'd probably mount it down on the corner beside the crosswalk.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 23, 2018, 02:01:47 PM
Quote from: mrpablue on February 23, 2018, 11:46:27 AM
There are green I-30 Biz signs in St Helens, Oregon.

GSV http://bit.ly/2EWvMuv

GMSV shows there are least 6 more of these shields in town, though they do not post a required turn in one direction.  Really odd error to make...Oregon doesn't have interstate business routes.  Also this route isn't posted from mainline US 30 anywhere...

IIRC this route was designated by the city without any input from ODOT. That would explain the multitude of signage errors and the lack of recognition from actual US-30.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
A partial APL so to speak.  I do not know if any are in your area, but in Orlando they are becoming common.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/38789450440/in/dateposted-public/
A partial APL so to speak.  I do not know if any are in your area, but in Orlando they are becoming common.

Partial APLs are very common in Utah. In fact, they are now the usual way to sign multi-lane exits. Here's an example:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.