News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on August 25, 2018, 04:21:11 PM
Quote from: Eth on August 25, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
I don't think this treatment of Florida SR markers on green signs is very common, but I like it. Seen on A1A in Sunny Isles Beach:

http://ten93.com/roadphotos/numbers/fl856.jpg

That makes two. Looks really cool!

Oklahoma's shield is pretty similar to Florida's, so when Norman did the same thing with this SH-9 shield, it came out just as cool.

The Norman Traffic Division is probably the only road agency in Oklahoma that gives a shit about making signs look nice. (Oddly, Norman's DPW contains two separate road-related agencies–the Streets Division that does road maintenance and the Traffic Division that does just traffic control devices.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 25, 2018, 11:13:09 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 25, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
Rubber, pavement-mounted stop sign, in Sea Tac, Washington, though installed by King County.  Here.  This kind of sign used to be found at the Renton Boeing vehicle gates, but this is the only one left I know of.

I was really befuddled of the one I saw just a couple weeks ago in Astoria, OR!  Whose idea was this type of sign?

IMG_5100 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
I'm actually more intrigued with the fact that the Oregon Film Museum is located within the local county jail.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 28, 2018, 06:46:46 AM
Rubber, pavement-mounted stop sign, in Sea Tac, Washington, though installed by King County.  Here.  This kind of sign used to be found at the Renton Boeing vehicle gates, but this is the only one left I know of.

I was really befuddled of the one I saw just a couple weeks ago in Astoria, OR!  Whose idea was this type of sign?

I'm actually more intrigued with the fact that the Oregon Film Museum is located within the local county jail.

I guess the county jail's way of punishing people is to force the prisoners to watch bad movies 24 hours a day until they're rehabilitated. ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ipeters61

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 27, 2018, 11:42:43 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on August 27, 2018, 09:41:33 PM
Quote from: formulanone on August 27, 2018, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on August 27, 2018, 07:19:04 PM
To my knowledge, this is the very last remaining surviving button copy sign in Central Arkansas

I can confirm that this was here as of last night.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7247461,-92.2221687,3a,15y,118.47h,100.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAAWPqkKZtrJoIG2RsNK6HA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Gotta love airport signage...(June 2012)
<pic>

And don't forget about Harrisburg Airport's signage.

<pic>

Weird that the left sign has shields but the right sign is text-only. Was the sign on the left replaced early on for some reason?
I think it's because of the Turnpike shield.  It seemed to be a thing in PA back in the text-only button copy days to include shields as long as the Turnpike was involved.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 28, 2018, 09:54:15 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 28, 2018, 06:46:46 AM

I guess the county jail's way of punishing people is to force the prisoners to watch bad movies 24 hours a day until they're rehabilitated. ;)

It's the jail from the opening scene of "The Goonies", certainly the most famous film produced in Astoria.

It is no longer connected to any sort of jail system, though it's in the same parking lot as the new jail.

tckma

That's signage LEAVING the airport, not directing you to it -- so what's wrong with it?

Signage on the approach to the airport is similarly old school -- https://goo.gl/maps/mEQLbfpKNDv
In fact, Harrisburg in general seems pretty averse to replacing old signage... not sure why as it's the state capital.  See the corner "next left" markers here.

("Old Exit 28."  Read: "This Sign Has Been Here For 15 Years.")

ipeters61

Quote from: tckma on August 28, 2018, 12:57:57 PM
That's signage LEAVING the airport, not directing you to it -- so what's wrong with it?
What made you think I was criticizing the signage?  We were talking about airport signs which feature button copy so I thought I'd chime in...
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/AkNGbmEwiyC2
Weird NY State signs NY 293 ahead when being it ends here at US 6 should have an END sign instead of showing it ahead on the connection to US 6 W Bound here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tckma

Quote from: ipeters61 on August 28, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
What made you think I was criticizing the signage?  We were talking about airport signs which feature button copy so I thought I'd chime in...

I read a tone of voice that apparently wasn't there.

mrsman

Is there any realistic chance of someone even seeing the stop sign?

Eth

Quote from: mrsman on August 31, 2018, 01:32:37 PM

Not sure about that one, but it looks like the linked one in SeaTac is preceded by a conventional stop sign about ten yards or so back.

jakeroot

Quote from: Eth on August 31, 2018, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 31, 2018, 01:32:37 PM

Not sure about that one, but it looks like the linked one in SeaTac is preceded by a conventional stop sign about ten yards or so back.

I believe the intersection pictured from Astoria also has a stop sign, however, it is not shown in said picture.

MikeCL

Quote from: plain on August 03, 2018, 05:48:24 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 03, 2018, 05:30:40 PM
I've been seeing more unisigns in Virginia lately; interesting that they would move away from one in this instance.

I'm glad VDOT is bringing back their unisigns. When I first came to Virginia as a youngin' they were all over the place, especially in Chesterfield and Hanover countries (and of course the many VA cities that has their own individual versions and have for a long time now). Back since at least the 80's there were also trailblazers on interstates that were also black background unisigns, though I'm not sure if any still exist. I hope VDOT bring those back as well.
I like the black background signs

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

thenetwork

Somewhere along I-70 Eastbound in Western Colorado, I could've sworn I saw a pair of cautionary text signs recently installed on the opposite shoulders.

The sign on the right shoulder said FALLING ROCKS
The sign on the left shoulder said FALLEN ROCKS.

Which begs the question:  Which lane is the safer one to travel on based on the given informational choices???   :bigass:

ipeters61

I know we had discussed "Low Flying Aircraft" signage earlier, I think on this thread, and I noticed it in both directions on US-50 a few miles east of the I-495 interchange (Capital Beltway) this weekend.

Instagram | Clinched Map

cjk374

How much diagramattic information can you fit onto one warning diamond?

Crowded diamond. Cotton Valley, LA on LA 160. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

To me & my judgemental self...this must die in fire:  :ded:

30x24 shields at JCT LA 545. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

plain

Quote from: cjk374 on September 05, 2018, 07:50:40 PM

Throw this I-64 shield in the fire too

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

ipeters61

Quote from: plain on September 08, 2018, 02:49:05 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on September 05, 2018, 07:50:40 PM

Throw this I-64 shield in the fire too

SM-S820L
Let's not forget about this weirdo either:

Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ErmineNotyours

csw

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 08, 2018, 11:17:48 PM
How about this?  Doubling up on a single sign.
The whole US 1/US 9 concurrency is signed like that, as either "1&9" or "1-9".

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ipeters61

Quote from: csw on September 08, 2018, 11:21:44 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 08, 2018, 11:17:48 PM
How about this?  Doubling up on a single sign.
The whole US 1/US 9 concurrency is signed like that, as either "1&9" or "1-9".
Another concurrency like that is MD-2/MD-4.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.