News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

I see those signs all over the place. The North Country is plastered with them.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Michael

As far as I can remember, the only place I've ever seen those signs is on NY 5 in Camillus:
Eastbound
Westbound

cjk374

Quote from: Michael on February 19, 2019, 01:40:10 PM
As far as I can remember, the only place I've ever seen those signs is on NY 5 in Camillus:
Eastbound
Westbound

And what is the reason for this sign? The only thing you need to know is what color your light is and be sure you act only on your signal indication.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ipeters61

Quote from: cjk374 on February 19, 2019, 07:10:29 PM
Eastbound
Westbound

And what is the reason for this sign? The only thing you need to know is what color your light is and be sure you act only on your signal indication.
If you have a yield on green for left turns, plenty of drivers will try to make the left in the yellow phase, hoping oncoming cars will stop.  Having the extended green means that the oncoming cars are far less likely to stop in your yellow phase (there's a similar setup near my apartment).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/47099001092/in/dateposted-public/
This assembly faces US 77 N Bound where it turns right onto US 54 & 400, but the way the arrows are one can wonder where does US 77 go from here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 19, 2019, 08:08:55 PM
Eastbound
Westbound

If you have a yield on green for left turns, plenty of drivers will try to make the left in the yellow phase, hoping oncoming cars will stop.  Having the extended green means that the oncoming cars are far less likely to stop in your yellow phase (there's a similar setup near my apartment).
That is what is called yellow trap. Oncoming traffic has a lagging protected left turn phase. This situation is why flashing yellow arrows came out in the first place.

Big John

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2019, 08:18:11 PM
This assembly faces US 77 N Bound where it turns right onto US 54 & 400, but the way the arrows are one can wonder where does US 77 go from here.
My interpretation is the truck route goes in both directions while  US 77 goes right.  The double arrow placard should go under the truck route sign.

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on February 19, 2019, 08:38:00 PM
My interpretation is the truck route goes in both directions while  US 77 goes right.  The double arrow placard should go under the truck route sign.
Correct US 77 does go right here, but like you said the arrow for the truck route should be underneath it not long side of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Eastbound
Westbound

It's completely legal to enter the intersection on green, wait until oncoming traffic stops after their extended green phase, and make a left turn on a stale red light (this may not be true in a few states, but they're aberrations as far as I'm concerned). The sign gives you useful information in that case.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 20, 2019, 02:44:30 PM
Eastbound
Westbound

It's completely legal to enter the intersection on green, wait until oncoming traffic stops after their extended green phase, and make a left turn on a stale red light (this may not be true in a few states, but they're aberrations as far as I'm concerned). The sign gives you useful information in that case.
Yes, today I almost got into a yellow trap crash, someone was yellowed trapped and we had to slam on the brakes and almost crashed.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Eastbound
Westbound

To be a bit more specific than previous replies, the sign is to alert drivers that the oncoming traffic's green orb signal lasts longer than "your" green orb signal. If you're waiting to turn left inside the box, and you see that sign, you need to be aware that the subsequent red light does not necessarily give you the OK to turn (as it normally would), as through traffic will still have a green orb. You're still free to be out there, so long as you turn when a gap becomes available (otherwise you'll risk blocking the box).

If you're ever faced with this situation, don't be afraid to pull forward to wait* (some drivers may choose against doing so). It's still legal to be in the box. Just continue watching for a gap, even after the light turns red. But never reverse back into the left turn lane. I've seen drivers do this, and minor fender-benders are often the result.

* please excuse me giving someone twice my age some advice...I've never seen these signs in person, and I suspect those who are much older than myself may not have either (depending on the state, as many don't allow this situation to occur anyways); just some friendly advice in case you happen to see one, but aren't sure what to do (as I've studied them before and have learned the proper procedure when encountering them).

steviep24

^
Regarding the discussion on yellow trap those signs are in the MUTCD as W25-1 and 2
http://www.trafficsign.us/w25.html

EDIT: I added this because I originally thought those are custom signs that only NYSDOT used.

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on February 20, 2019, 02:59:20 PM
* please excuse me giving someone twice my age some advice...I've never seen these signs in person, and I suspect those who are much older than myself may not have either (depending on the state, as many don't allow this situation to occur anyways); just some friendly advice in case you happen to see one, but aren't sure what to do (as I've studied them before and have learned the proper procedure when encountering them).

Don't apologize for giving me advice no matter our age difference. It took me about 10-15 minutes of reading the MUTCD description for the sign's use before it finally clicked with me what the hell it all meant. These signs first appeared here about 5 years ago, and I never knew what it was for until now.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2019, 09:24:19 PM

Quote from: Big John on February 19, 2019, 08:38:00 PM

Correct US 77 does go right here, but like you said the arrow for the truck route should be underneath it not long side of it.

Augusta and El Dorado both have signed truck routes.  I dislike TRUCK ROUTE signs that look like highway shield plaques in general.  To my eyes, the assembly on the left looks like it's for TRUCK ROUTE 54 / TRUCK ROUTE 400.  My preference would be for a signed truck route to be posted separately from any other shields in order to avoid confusing it with a bannered route.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

Look at this school zone speed limit 20 sign:
I'm very sorry for the bad photo but the sign reads:
WHEN
FLASHING
Then shows a picture of a school| speed limit 20 sign, when we did see it flash it was hard to tell it was flashing, I wonder why they didn't use a normal sign... if it ain't broke don't fix it

iPhone

jakeroot

Is there a flashing light above the sign? Hard to tell by the photo.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2019, 02:11:27 AM
The sign itself flashes, it's one of those signs that has LEDs built in... sorry for the poor photos I couldn't stop and the speed limit was around 45

iPhone

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on February 23, 2019, 09:32:17 AM
The sign itself flashes, it's one of those signs that has LEDs built in... sorry for the poor photos I couldn't stop and the speed limit was around 45

No it's good, I can see the outline of the LEDs on the back of the sign (now that you mention it). Not sure I've seen that style of flasher utilized for a school-zone limit before.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2019, 02:25:21 PM

No it's good, I can see the outline of the LEDs on the back of the sign (now that you mention it). Not sure I've seen that style of flasher utilized for a school-zone limit before.

And I don't think that is a kosher way to go about it either. Firstly, the flashing LEDs are meant to enhance the conspicuity of the sign, not as the actual traffic control device (you need a beacon for that). Secondly, if this sign is the sole means of indicating the school zone speed limit is in effect, then it is not legally enforceable because it is not a regulatory sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: roadfro on February 23, 2019, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2019, 02:25:21 PM

And I don't think that is a kosher way to go about it either. Firstly, the flashing LEDs are meant to enhance the conspicuity of the sign, not as the actual traffic control device (you need a beacon for that). Secondly, if this sign is the sole means of indicating the school zone speed limit is in effect, then it is not legally enforceable because it is not a regulatory sign.
And also it looks new, yet it was flashing on the week of a state wide February break passing a public elementary school, because of this, we choose not to respect it, also because we wanted to get to railfan ASAP.

iPhone

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadfro

Quote from: steviep24 on February 25, 2019, 09:54:46 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on February 24, 2019, 08:05:28 PM
I don't think I've ever seen the "divided highway" sign used on intersections controlled by stoplights, but I've seen it in a few places on DE-141...

At DE-34: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7483053,-75.6101995,3a,34.6y,195.93h,85.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdi9FNQonXwV39hAtQrU1xA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

At DE-48: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7585451,-75.6043709,3a,75y,26.54h,80.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLgMnzVeVVT09Ec-f5QQzXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Here's one in Victor, NY on NY96.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0092967,-77.4436903,3a,37.5y,297.79h,84.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBhMc9_T4pq0nxEuoo6dGbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

All are incorrect uses of the sign, as it actually violates a standard listed in the MUTCD.

Section 2B.42 indicates this sign shall be used at unsignalized intersections where the main road has a median width of 30 feet or greater. Although an option allows for its use at signalized intersections, my read of the section indicates that the sign is only supposed to be used when the median is 30+ feet wide.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Rothman

Wow.  I think I have seen a lot of those signs at signalized intersections over the years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.