News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3ebrules

^^^ Clicked on the link... "Boy that looks familiar..."  That intersection is down the street from my mother's house lmao.

And yeah, those signs on the masts are SO Jersey. More prevalent in North/Central though.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

roadfro

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 30, 2020, 01:09:16 PM
I keep thinking this would be better off on the Traffic Signals board, but as I've been trying to sort our various road sign images in Wikimedia Commons in New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and other locations, I've noticed other types of signs on traffic signal masts besides street name signs.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2014-05-11_08_24_58_View_south_along_Canal_Boulevard_(New_Jersey_Route_129)_at_Lalor_Street_(Mercer_County_Route_650)_in_Trenton,_New_Jersey.JPG

In the meantime, 25 years ago during the Oklahoma City bombing (yes, it has been that long), I saw footage of One Way signs specifically designed for traffic signal masts (Sorry, I can't find any images of them right now).

Though I don't see that many of those types of signs too often, I'm going to assume they're MUTCD complaint. Am I right or not?

You're talking about the "no left turn" text sign that looks like it could be a street name sign? I'd estimate that these are MUTCD compliant by virtue that agencies can use any text-based message sign to convey regulation, guidance, etc., and that text versions of "no left turn" and similar were in previous MUTCDs. However, it would be more proper (and probably cheaper for the agencies) to use the standard symbol sign instead this custom version in new installs.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

In the meantime, 25 years ago during the Oklahoma City bombing (yes, it has been that long), I saw footage of One Way signs specifically designed for traffic signal masts (Sorry, I can't find any images of them right now).

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but at one time there were a bunch of signals that had double-height street name signs on the mastarm, the bottom half of which was a One Way sign. I'm not sure if any of those are still around; I think they all got replaced during the Project 180 streetscape projects over the last few years.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrsman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2020, 09:06:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but at one time there were a bunch of signals that had double-height street name signs on the mastarm, the bottom half of which was a One Way sign. I'm not sure if any of those are still around; I think they all got replaced during the Project 180 streetscape projects over the last few years.

Los Angeles hangs the one-way signs from the mast arms as well:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0495613,-118.2459213,3a,75y,16.06h,86.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sODkMVyKIcIYoRLcRMvc_zQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Tonytone

Have they updated the Handicap sign? Im seeing this more

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

kphoger

See, to me, that looks more like an unfortunate guy falling out of a wheelchair.  I feel kind of bad for him.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I've seen the sign a lot in British Columbia. First time I ever saw it was the parking lot of the Sea-to-Sky Gondola north of Vancouver, which had just opened a month prior (in 2014).

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2020, 06:43:05 PM
See, to me, that looks more like an unfortunate guy falling out of a wheelchair.  I feel kind of bad for him.

It's this...meant to indicate motion since being in a wheelchair does not mean incapable of movement. Bit PC but it's becoming the norm.

Rothman

Quote from: Tonytone on May 01, 2020, 06:30:57 PM

iPhone
NY jumped on that bandwagon in the name of portraying the handicapped as more physically active.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2020, 08:46:21 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 01, 2020, 06:30:57 PM

iPhone
NY jumped on that bandwagon in the name of portraying the handicapped as more physically active.

The top half of the person on the handicap sign looks like it's swimming out of the wheelchair. :sombrero:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

vdeane

To me it looks like the wheelchair person is going really fast and competing in a race.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tonytone

Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2020, 09:22:36 PM
To me it looks like the wheelchair person is going really fast and competing in a race.
Its crazy because apple's emoji has been like this for years ♿️

So its funny to see the national handbook accept it.

iPhone

Scott5114

Quote from: Tonytone on May 01, 2020, 09:39:15 PM

That's just a Unicode character, so it still displays as the standard wheelchair symbol on Linux.

I think the national MUTCD still mandates the traditional wheelchair symbol for now.

Tonytone

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 02, 2020, 05:46:53 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on May 01, 2020, 09:39:15 PM

That's just a Unicode character, so it still displays as the standard wheelchair symbol on Linux.

I think the national MUTCD still mandates the traditional wheelchair symbol for now.
Oh ok makes sense. I think the new "wheelchair symbol"  is better lookin & updated to this current generation.

The older one makes it seem like the person in the wheelchair cant do much.

iPhone

kphoger

Are you guys sure it doesn't mean "unicycle parking only" instead?  Completely different sign and application?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2020, 01:18:04 PM
Are you guys sure it doesn't mean "unicycle parking only" instead?  Completely different sign and application?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Symbol_of_Access#Modified_ISA

Quote from: Tonytone on May 02, 2020, 09:30:08 AM

Amusingly, this is probably because originally the symbol was meant to be just the wheelchair, without the head on top. But there was some concern that people would interpret it as being letters instead of a symbol, so a head was added to make it look like one of the symbol stick-figures used for restroom signs.

kphoger

[pc]Wouldn't that make me more likely to want them to have a closer parking spot?  If they can't do much, then they need that spot.  If, however, they're active and able, then maybe not so much.[/pc]

Edited to add:  The [pc] tag doesn't seem to be working right now.
Male pronouns, please.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2020, 06:29:19 PM

[pc]Wouldn't that make me more likely to want them to have a closer parking spot?  If they can't do much, then they need that spot.  If, however, they're active and able, then maybe not so much.[/pc]

Edited to add:  The [pc] tag doesn't seem to be working right now.[/size]
Well they arent a vegetable now!

They can do everything except.... ya know.

iPhone

Scott5114

Edited to add:  The [pc] tag doesn't seem to be working right now.[/size]

Are you posting from your phone? It won't work if you're not posting from a PC, for obvious reasons.

The size tag also seems to be not working right now.

Magical Trevor

Old as this installation looks, it's been in place less than a decade according to Street View - so why use a red arrow, necessitating a sign advising to go against all convention, instead of a second red ball or just a typical doghouse?

Also, here's something unique: a yellow sign that flashes black.

mrsman

Quote from: Magical Trevor on May 03, 2020, 12:10:05 PM
Old as this installation looks, it's been in place less than a decade according to Street View - so why use a red arrow, necessitating a sign advising to go against all convention, instead of a second red ball or just a typical doghouse?

Also, here's something unique: a yellow sign that flashes black.

Probably the way it seems, there is no point for having this.

But this intersection is basically a one-way to one-way intersection, with a "free" right turn.  The right turn at question does not impede on any traffic, and there is no need for yielding to any other vehicles, but there is a pedestrian crossing over there. 

Now, if there was a real use of that crosswalk, I'd say we need to put in place a ped crossing, with buttons, and with pedestrian signals.  If someone pushes the button, the right turn signal can go red to protect the pedestrian.  Otherwise, there is no point to even stopping this "free" right turn at all.

But given the way it is setup, it seems that the entire right turn signal is unnecessary.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 02, 2020, 11:07:36 PM

I got too loose with nested tags.  Fixed it.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2020, 06:17:56 PM

I learned something new today: size tags have to be on the outside of all tags. Not sure I realized that order mattered (bold, underline, italics, color, URL can all be mixed, but evidently not size tags).

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2020, 07:35:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2020, 06:17:56 PM

I learned something new today: size tags have to be on the outside of all tags. Not sure I realized that order mattered (bold, underline, italics, color, URL can all be mixed, but evidently not size tags).

Yeah, XML it ain't...

UCFKnights

Edited to add:  The [pc] tag doesn't seem to be working right now.
Acctttuallllyyy.... I watched a YouTube video a year or so ago advocating for moving handicap spots to the back of the lot. Around me, handicap parking abuse is completely rampant... I personally know 4 people in my community with a tag: 1) A construction worker who says his knees are awful from climbing up and down ladders and being on his knees all the time. I frequently see him on roofs, etc... I know he's had knee surgery a few times, but... you're running around for work, on a roof... 2) A "Disabled Veteran" neighbor who literally runs for like 3 hours a day. In way better shape then me. 3) A minority who has literally told me she deserves it as reparations, clearly no lack of ability to walk... and the most valid one... 4) an 90+ year old who can't see (no DL), has a caretaker... and every time she goes out, she's ALWAYS dropped off at the door as the parking lot is too dangerous for her. Then the perfectly abled caretaker parks in the handicap spot and walks in to help her inside.

I can't find the video now, but their arguments were basically as follows:
1) Making it the very best, premium spot encourages rampant abuse, so they are less likely to be available to those who need it. This is both by those who get it without really needing it, and the likelihood of the spot getting blocked by those picking others up or just ignoring the signs.
2) It creates envy and resentment of the handicapped and makes the incentives in the wrong direction.
3) These days the handicap generally can qualify for electric scooters and other assistive devices that actually makes it easier for them to park further away
4) They're likely to have much more room around their vehicle to be able to safely operate said devices or wheelchairs

Tesla also realized basically the same set of issues with their supercharger spots. Early stations were built in premium spots, trying to make an advantage of owning a Tesla being that you get upfront, better parking... but in the end, it led to resentment, abuse, vandalism, and EV owners parking in them even when they don't need the spots, reducing the availability for those that do. Tesla moving the spots to the back of the lots pretty much solved all those issues. And stores around here who didn't learn that lesson yet, such as Whole Foods, I can never park my EV at because their is pretty much always an ICE vehicle in them.

SectorZ

Quote from: UCFKnights on May 04, 2020, 12:09:19 PM
Acctttuallllyyy.... I watched a YouTube video a year or so ago advocating for moving handicap spots to the back of the lot. Around me, handicap parking abuse is completely rampant... I personally know 4 people in my community with a tag: 1) A construction worker who says his knees are awful from climbing up and down ladders and being on his knees all the time. I frequently see him on roofs, etc... I know he's had knee surgery a few times, but... you're running around for work, on a roof... 2) A "Disabled Veteran" neighbor who literally runs for like 3 hours a day. In way better shape then me. 3) A minority who has literally told me she deserves it as reparations, clearly no lack of ability to walk... and the most valid one... 4) an 90+ year old who can't see (no DL), has a caretaker... and every time she goes out, she's ALWAYS dropped off at the door as the parking lot is too dangerous for her. Then the perfectly abled caretaker parks in the handicap spot and walks in to help her inside.

I can't find the video now, but their arguments were basically as follows:
1) Making it the very best, premium spot encourages rampant abuse, so they are less likely to be available to those who need it. This is both by those who get it without really needing it, and the likelihood of the spot getting blocked by those picking others up or just ignoring the signs.
2) It creates envy and resentment of the handicapped and makes the incentives in the wrong direction.
3) These days the handicap generally can qualify for electric scooters and other assistive devices that actually makes it easier for them to park further away
4) They're likely to have much more room around their vehicle to be able to safely operate said devices or wheelchairs

Tesla also realized basically the same set of issues with their supercharger spots. Early stations were built in premium spots, trying to make an advantage of owning a Tesla being that you get upfront, better parking... but in the end, it led to resentment, abuse, vandalism, and EV owners parking in them even when they don't need the spots, reducing the availability for those that do. Tesla moving the spots to the back of the lots pretty much solved all those issues. And stores around here who didn't learn that lesson yet, such as Whole Foods, I can never park my EV at because their is pretty much always an ICE vehicle in them.

In the case of the first three, what the hell are their doctors doing? Do they even need a medical rationale backed by a doctor to get one of the placards?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.