News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

But notice the name of the crossroad.  Almost makes me think it was done on purpose.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2022, 12:07:53 PM
But notice the name of the crossroad.  Almost makes me think it was done on purpose.

Interesting theory, but I doubt it. I'm leaning on this on being plain incompetence.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

What would green represent in terms of patriotism?

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2022, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2022, 03:17:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill

So "Patriot Blvd" is some sort of Irish reference? I'm not getting your point.

kphoger

Anti-British patriotism.  It was admittedly quite the reach.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2022, 04:56:09 PM
Not really.  Green over red in an Irish neighborhood.  It's really not that subtle.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

To be fair, I'm not so dense that I didn't get what you were getting at. I just find it hard to believe that there is any anti-British sentiment these days. If anything, the obsession with British Royalty leads me to believe that Americans (even the Irish, to an extent), in fact, love the British. Or at least get on with them.

roadman65

The railroads do use green over red as standard all clear, or Conrail once did anyway.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2022, 05:23:42 PM

To be fair, I'm not so dense that I didn't get what you were getting at. I just find it hard to believe that there is any anti-British sentiment these days. If anything, the obsession with British Royalty leads me to believe that Americans (even the Irish, to an extent), in fact, love the British. Or at least get on with them.

I was actually imagining that the guy mounting the sign was a history buff.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

See the NY state flag.  Liberty's kicking the British crown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on March 16, 2022, 07:12:18 PM

See Hawaii's flag...plenty of British acceptance in the US.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2022, 07:15:34 PM

You been to Hawaii?  Not really...

Not sure what HI has to do with Tipperary Hill, anyway.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on March 16, 2022, 07:17:12 PM

That's my point, no one cares about flags.

The sign is in Illinois.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on March 16, 2022, 05:39:23 PM
The railroads do use green over red as standard all clear, or Conrail once did anyway.

That is kind of true.  The reality is that on an upper quadrant semaphore signal, the colors are red-yellow-green (from top to bottom) but when converted to the corresponding position lights the top-bottom aspects are green, the 45-degree aspects are yellow and the side-to-side aspects are red.  That put green on the top and the railroad industry standardized as such.  Only one set of railroads standardized on something slightly different:  The Van Sweringen Lines (NYC, C&O and Nickle Plate) alternated the heads such that there would always be a minimum distance between the reds on a two-headed signal (so that each of these reds was visible from a long distance).  Therefore, we had the top head as red-yellow-green, the middle head as yellow-green-red and the bottom head could be whatever was appropriate.  The NYC and Nickle Plate didn't fully adopt those standards, leaving the C&O as the lone wolf here.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2022, 07:20:33 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 16, 2022, 07:17:12 PM

That's my point, no one cares about flags.

The sign is in Illinois.
The context of the thread shifted to Syracuse...c'mon, man...

vdeane

^ Tipperary Hill was only mentioned after the discussion of patriotism began, one time in a response to "what would green represent in terms of patriotism?", as the Illinois sign was at Patriot St or something.

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2022, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 16, 2022, 03:17:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Yes.  The stoplight at Tipperary Hill is what I had in mind when I said I imagined it having been mounted like that on purpose.
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

These signs are not on freeways. Although this used to be an expressway design, seems like they were left intact.

US-264 from Wilson to Greenville (with the exception of the Farmville bypass) was built as a limited access highway so it had at-grade intersections. All interchanges were complete by 2001.

https://goo.gl/maps/My9ergCjy3UyF2WW8

https://goo.gl/maps/YJ3uYyQAGxgi4nmN6

Rothman

Just putting this somewhere, but the new signs for NY 635 northbound, either from I-690 east or west in the C/D lanes, are ugly as sin.

machias

Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2022, 03:57:37 PM
Just putting this somewhere, but the new signs for NY 635 northbound, either from I-690 east or west in the C/D lanes, are ugly as sin.

Is it this?

J N Winkler

Quote from: machias on March 20, 2022, 04:56:47 PMIs it this?

(Image snipped)

Thanks for posting this--I wondered what the D-number was, not having found anything for NY 635 in my collection of signface layouts.  (I extract them by script now and figuring out why this didn't happen for D264693 is now on my to-do list.)  The latest StreetView imagery for both directions of I-690 shows the old signs with Series F shield digits as of October/November 2021.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: machias on March 20, 2022, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2022, 03:57:37 PM

Is it this?

Yep.  Something looks just out of proportion on the actual installation to me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.