Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52019209230/in/photostream/

I think that the Welcome sign here is cool how they recognize the people of IL rather than whoever is in the State House like most states do at border entries.

Not knocking the common practice but it's not everywhere you see a Welcome sign like this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Illinois' welcome sign is pretty good in my opinion. I think the overall idea of it is nice, and I prefer the practice of not including the governor's name. Not only is it more economical, but it's less "in-your-face" about politics. Which for Illinois, may be false advertising.  :spin:

I would prefer if the "From the People of Illinois" line was at the top, and I would also prefer different font choices. Maybe I'll have to do a redesign.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 07, 2022, 02:15:08 PM
Illinois' welcome sign is pretty good in my opinion. I think the overall idea of it is nice, and I prefer the practice of not including the governor's name. Not only is it more economical, but it's less "in-your-face" about politics. Which for Illinois, may be false advertising.  :spin:

I would prefer if the "From the People of Illinois" line was at the top, and I would also prefer different font choices. Maybe I'll have to do a redesign.

The Illinois welcome sign did contain the governor's name until 2009:

Of course, said governor's name was Rod Blagojevich, who got into hot water after some Senator named Barack Obama randomly quit because he got some better job offer elsewhere or something like that. Wonder whatever happened to that guy. Anyway, Blagojevich was recorded openly conspiring to solicit bribes to fill said Senate seat and was tossed out of office. Since there was a general distaste for the concept of "the governor of Illinois" at that time, his successor, Pat Quinn, had it patched over with the "from the people of Illinois" text rather than his own name, and it's stayed that way ever since.

Blagojevich liked putting his name on absolutely everything, not just the welcome signs. It was on every single open-road tolling gantry too. It was odd enough that I commented about it at the 2008 Chicago meet, coming from a region where it's rare for the governor's name to appear on welcome signs or anything else like that.

(image by Tony Webster, on Flickr)

It looks like in 2011 the Illinois Legislature passed a law prohibiting governors' names from appearing on signs, although the article seems to be behind a registration wall and I don't care enough to jump through that hoop to see what the details are.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

We've actually had a thread on governors' names on state welcome signs, a practice I have attacked as reflecting a cult of personality.  I think we established that no state west of the Mississippi does it, although both red and blue states do it back east.

I remember Illinois welcome signs with "The People of the State of Illinois Welcome You" (or similar phrasing) back in the 1990's, and I do think it is a nice touch, as are goodbye signs ("Leaving Kansas -- Come Again").
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 07, 2022, 04:34:22 PM
I think we established that no state west of the Mississippi does it, although both red and blue states do it back east.

That is my understanding as well. Never seen a governor's name on highway signage out west. Nothing large or important, at least.

JoePCool14

Yeah, Illinois is right on the border with regards to the Mississippi. Thanks for the history regarding it. Blago was a bit before my time of awareness though I know who he is now. I can't imagine Pritzker's name on all toll gantries, though in a similar vein, I hear he's trying to mandate gas stations put some sticker about freezing the gas tax on all pumps.

While we're on the subject, Wisconsin actually does have the governor's name on their big wooden signs. Though if you turn back time, it used to have a plaque that read "OPEN FOR BUSINESS". On the latest view at this location, it's blank. But they now have Tony Evers' name on them. It would be nice if it wasn't there, but at least it's small.

Scott5114

We've actually had a thread on governors' names on state welcome signs, a practice I have attacked as reflecting a cult of personality.  I think we established that no state west of the Mississippi does it, although both red and blue states do it back east.

Despite the very obvious downsides, I sort of like the practice for the same sentimental reasons I appreciate the officer signatures on paper money; the governor's name changing while the rest of the design stays the same alludes to the ideas of peaceful transfer of power and that the government is a going concern only under the authority of an individual for a relatively brief period of time. That being said, I think both the financial and cultural downsides heavily outweigh the meager sentimental reasons for doing so.

I remember Illinois welcome signs with "The People of the State of Illinois Welcome You" (or similar phrasing) back in the 1990's, and I do think it is a nice touch, as are goodbye signs ("Leaving Kansas -- Come Again").

Are there any states that regularly install such signage other than Kansas? I think I've seen specs for one from Minnesota, but I don't remember seeing it myself when I visited (or to be more accurate, stopped visiting) in 2012.

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 07, 2022, 05:21:01 PM
Yeah, Illinois is right on the border with regards to the Mississippi. Thanks for the history regarding it. Blago was a bit before my time of awareness though I know who he is now. I can't imagine Pritzker's name on all toll gantries, though in a similar vein, I hear he's trying to mandate gas stations put some sticker about freezing the gas tax on all pumps.

While we're on the subject, Wisconsin actually does have the governor's name on their big wooden signs. Though if you turn back time, it used to have a plaque that read "OPEN FOR BUSINESS". On the latest view at this location, it's blank. But they now have Tony Evers' name on them. It would be nice if it wasn't there, but at least it's small.

You're welcome. For what it's worth, here's a newer-style Wisconsin wooden sign with Jim Doyle's name on it (who served concurrently with Blagojevich in Illinois):

I'm guessing "EW" and "AG" are someone's initials, and not someone expressing disgust with Gov. Doyle's agricultural policies.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2022, 05:29:24 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 07, 2022, 05:21:01 PM

You're welcome. For what it's worth, here's a newer-style Wisconsin wooden sign with Jim Doyle's name on it (who served concurrently with Blagojevich in Illinois):

I'm guessing "EW" and "AG" are someone's initials, and not someone expressing disgust with Gov. Doyle's agricultural policies.

I like the older style better. This one gives off Office 2003 Word Art vibes which is tacky. I also prefer the way the one I linked shows the Mississippi River and Green Bay in water blue color.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, the Mississippi does not border Wisconsin that far north.

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 07, 2022, 05:37:32 PM

I also prefer the way the one I linked shows the Mississippi River and Green Bay in water blue color.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, the Mississippi does not border Wisconsin that far north.
And Menomonie County MI is not underwater.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2022, 05:25:18 PM
QuoteI remember Illinois welcome signs with "The People of the State of Illinois Welcome You" (or similar phrasing) back in the 1990's, and I do think it is a nice touch, as are goodbye signs ("Leaving Kansas -- Come Again").

Are there any states that regularly install such signage other than Kansas? I think I've seen specs for one from Minnesota, but I don't remember seeing it myself when I visited (or to be more accurate, stopped visiting) in 2012.

Kansas is not alone in using such signs--I-90 has a "Leaving Montana" sign--though I'm struggling to think of other states that employ messaging encouraging repeat visits.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 07, 2022, 06:08:24 PM
QuoteI remember Illinois welcome signs with "The People of the State of Illinois Welcome You" (or similar phrasing) back in the 1990's, and I do think it is a nice touch, as are goodbye signs ("Leaving Kansas -- Come Again").

Kansas is not alone in using such signs--I-90 has a "Leaving Montana" sign--though I'm struggling to think of other states that employ messaging encouraging repeat visits.

Another interesting thing at this location is that, on the other side of the state line, there appears to be a lay-by constructed solely for the purpose of accessing the Wyoming welcome sign.

jakeroot

As a Washingtonian, this comes to mind:

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jim

If we're listing, here are a few.

Leaving Massachusetts on I-90, November 24, 2005.

Leaving Maryland on US 15.  August 7, 2005.

Leaving Ohio on I-70.  January 23, 2004.

Leaving South Carolina on I-95.  August 22, 2003.

Leaving Utah on US 163.  April 30, 2004.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

thenetwork

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2022, 06:33:37 PM

Another interesting thing at this location is that, on the other side of the state line, there appears to be a lay-by constructed solely for the purpose of accessing the Wyoming welcome sign.

Wyoming and Colorado both have a lay-by for this purpose at the state line along I-25, which was the first time I'd seen a pull-out for a state line sign. (Although the southbound lay-by for the Welcome to Colorado sign is almost entirely in Wyoming, due to the position of the sign on the state line, whereas the northbound lay-by for Welcome to Wyoming sign is about half in each state with the sign located more inside the WY state line.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Jim

Quote from: thenetwork on May 08, 2022, 03:34:19 PM
US‐550 North going into Colorado has the tag, "Hasta La Vista" on it's departure signs.

At least 20 years ago, the same was the case on I-25 NB.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman65

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52061031649_406be68ff3_k.jpg[/img]https://goo.gl/

Never saw a two side overhead except at freeway exit gores and both side by side.  Never facing two different ways before like this.

https://goo.gl/maps/sMZv8ejWJsE8PmG76
Here is Google with their caption.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: jakeroot on May 07, 2022, 04:35:56 PM
I think we established that no state west of the Mississippi does it, although both red and blue states do it back east.

That is my understanding as well. Never seen a governor's name on highway signage out west. Nothing large or important, at least.

In New Jersey, this practice of putting politicians' names on everything extends well beyond highway welcome signs.

On signs advertising public works projects, parks, etc., it's very common to have a huge picture of the mayor or county exec's face, along with their name and the names of all the "chosen freeholders," "city councillors," or whatever responsible entity. And when I first noticed this it definitely came off as weird and culty, bat after a while you get used to it.

Northern NJ has been run by the political machine for a long time and I'm sure they've figured out that this sort of free advertising is very effective. I can even feel it working on me a little. The park system in Essex county is excellent and you start to get that strong connection with the county executive seeing his face plastered everywhere. As strange as it is at least it gives some accountability and reason to keep these public places in good shape.

kkt

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 09, 2022, 02:53:58 PM

In New Jersey, this practice of putting politicians' names on everything extends well beyond highway welcome signs.

On signs advertising public works projects, parks, etc., it's very common to have a huge picture of the mayor or county exec's face, along with their name and the names of all the "chosen freeholders," "city councillors," or whatever responsible entity. And when I first noticed this it definitely came off as weird and culty, bat after a while you get used to it.

Northern NJ has been run by the political machine for a long time and I'm sure they've figured out that this sort of free advertising is very effective. I can even feel it working on me a little. The park system in Essex county is excellent and you start to get that strong connection with the county executive seeing his face plastered everywhere. As strange as it is at least it gives some accountability and reason to keep these public places in good shape.

I find the practice of putting the executive official's name on buildings, etc., distasteful.  The decisions about what to fund and what not to fund are often a complex series of compromises, and just because they were the governor/mayor/county executive at the time doesn't mean they spent any political capital to get it done.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on May 10, 2022, 02:41:18 AM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on May 09, 2022, 02:53:58 PM

I find the practice of putting the executive official's name on buildings, etc., distasteful.  The decisions about what to fund and what not to fund are often a complex series of compromises, and just because they were the governor/mayor/county executive at the time doesn't mean they spent any political capital to get it done.

I see that happen most often not in the naming of the building, but on a plaque on the inside of the building, that will often include the names of the officials in office when construction started and also when it was completed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.