News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

This one, intended for installation on I-45, comes from a just-advertised TxDOT Houston District guide sign replacement contract that has about 400 sheets (!!!) of sign panel details.

Both the exit tab and the main sign panel have the word "EXIT."  This is allowed under the current MUTCD, though not encouraged--normally the word is omitted in the distance expression on the main sign panel if the freeway has exit numbering with tabs.  In the next edition of the MUTCD, FHWA proposes to require that "EXIT" appear only once.  This is far from the only instance of redundant "EXIT" in this plans set, so I wonder if this change is being misunderstood as encouragement to do what FHWA wants to ban.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I wish OKC would change its airport name to "Will Rogers Intergalactic Airport" just to one-up the Houston people.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2023, 11:51:57 PMI wish OKC would change its airport name to "Will Rogers Intergalactic Airport" just to one-up the Houston people.

I've always wondered a little about the "Intercontinental" moniker.  Wikipedia says that in 2017 they became the first North American airport to offer service to all inhabited continents, and I suspect that has to do with Houston's focus on the oil and gas industry.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 05, 2023, 01:28:42 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2023, 11:51:57 PMI wish OKC would change its airport name to "Will Rogers Intergalactic Airport" just to one-up the Houston people.

I've always wondered a little about the "Intercontinental" moniker.  Wikipedia says that in 2017 they became the first North American airport to offer service to all inhabited continents, and I suspect that has to do with Houston's focus on the oil and gas industry.

That's interesting. I would have thought one of the NYC-area airports or LAX would have beaten them to that distinction. 

It still comes off as pretentious to me when "International" is the standard terminology for an airport with such offerings. Technically any airport that offers at least one flight to Europe could be an "Intercontinental" airport.

I've always wondered if Will Rogers World Airport had that name because they don't actually meet standards for an "International" airport but are trying to keep people from noticing. If that's the case, I'm sure Mr. Rogers would have found it pretty funny.

JoePCool14

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 04, 2023, 10:29:22 PM
This one, intended for installation on I-45, comes from a just-advertised TxDOT Houston District guide sign replacement contract that has about 400 sheets (!!!) of sign panel details.

Both the exit tab and the main sign panel have the word "EXIT."  This is allowed under the current MUTCD, though not encouraged--normally the word is omitted in the distance expression on the main sign panel if the freeway has exit numbering with tabs.  In the next edition of the MUTCD, FHWA proposes to require that "EXIT" appear only once.  This is far from the only instance of redundant "EXIT" in this plans set, so I wonder if this change is being misunderstood as encouragement to do what FHWA wants to ban.

Or TxDOT just does what TxDOT does and doesn't care what FHWA has to say.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

tdindy88

Forget the extra "exit" on the sign, why do they have to have that small square tab on the upper right with the airport logo and IAH. Doesn't spelling out George Bush Intercontinental Airport already accomplish that?

plain

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 05, 2023, 10:40:07 AM
Forget the extra "exit" on the sign, why do they have to have that small square tab on the upper right with the airport logo and IAH. Doesn't spelling out George Bush Intercontinental Airport already accomplish that?

This.
Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Quote from: plain on March 05, 2023, 12:19:45 PM

This.

Probably so you don't wind up at Houston Intercontinental, when you meant to go to Houston Hobby airport. A handful of large cities have this concern with multiple airports offering commercial air service (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Washington DC...) but most do not. The airport code might be useful in that case, but less so in most other cases.

Maybe it's too much information to put in the airport code into the BGS, but okay to have a supplemental sign.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2023, 01:36:14 PM
Quote from: plain on March 05, 2023, 12:19:45 PM

This.

Probably so you don't wind up at Houston Intercontinental, when you meant to go to Houston Hobby airport. A handful of large cities have this concern with multiple airports offering commercial air service (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Washington DC...) but most do not. The airport code might be useful in that case, but less so in most other cases.

Maybe it's too much information to put in the airport code into the BGS, but okay to have a supplemental sign.

I don't mind the IAH, and it's probably good to have.  However, it's a bit small and spread out - why are there spaces between the letters, and why do the I and H practically touch the while border?

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2023, 07:26:57 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/ziPQBnsrCg2xSUS96
Here is a very strange arrow for I-5 South in Blaine, WA.

I think these types of signs are meant to emulate the "fingerpost" type of signage often seen in places like the UK. See also: my avatar. But a lazier attempt.

Here is another example, but across the border: https://goo.gl/maps/XoLXPfL8qsCM2jjn6

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2023, 07:26:57 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/ziPQBnsrCg2xSUS96
Here is a very strange arrow for I-5 South in Blaine, WA.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2023, 08:32:27 AM
I think these types of signs are meant to emulate the "fingerpost" type of signage often seen in places like the UK. See also: my avatar. But a lazier attempt.

Here is another example, but across the border: https://goo.gl/maps/XoLXPfL8qsCM2jjn6

These types of signs were once commonplace for control cities throughout North Carolina.  You can still find a few: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0460004,-79.0228453,3a,15y,39.66h,88.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEAJyVem84tkbAouSvRvqcg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Scott5114

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Thpc1AzwHMyNjABh7
https://goo.gl/maps/uRMkcb2JbdBkTWJaA
Some interesting Canadian APL signs.

I like the way theTrans Canada Highway is signed. I take it's BC Route 1, but part of the Trans Highway gets it the maple leaf as that particular symbol denotes what local or provincial route number is part of it by entering its route within the maple leaf.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2023, 07:02:51 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Thpc1AzwHMyNjABh7
https://goo.gl/maps/uRMkcb2JbdBkTWJaA
Some interesting Canadian APL signs.

I want to say that APLs, in this style, are only seen in British Columbia. MTO uses a form of up arrow for their exit signs, but nothing like the APLs in BC.

Amaury

Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 04, 2023, 10:29:22 PM

I appreciate the airport code above the airport symbol.  I always wished they'd do this in California rather than the hodge-podge way they identify airports on signs with two different symbols (if they use one) and refer to them sometimes by name, sometimes by airport code, sometimes by general description, e.g., "S F Intl Airport"  née "S F Airport,"  "John Wayne Airport,"  "LAX Airport"  née "L A Airport,"  "Sac Int'l Airport,"  "Long Beach Airport,"  etc.

US 89

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: US 89 on March 08, 2023, 08:22:30 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 07, 2023, 01:37:55 PM
A distance sign in New Mexico where all three destinations are in Arizona.  Very unique for New Mexico.

To be fair, what else are they going to put on there?

It's New Mexico.  They would find some rock or clump of dirt to give a distance to.

You say that, but funny thing is, the intersection just to the east of this sign has a distance sign to the state line.  So, there it is right there they had something else to give a distance to that was technically still in New Mexico. 

kirbykart

^Plus they managed to get the shield assemblies the wrong way round. Good old New Mexico.

wanderer2575

Amaury

I'm assuming that is actually a dead end? Where is that located?
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.