News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty2022

Two US 29 shields on one sign in Lovingston, VA;

Yes, I am in the middle of my Georgia Trip, this picture was taken less than 10 minutes ago.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Rothman

Quote from: Hunty2022 on August 25, 2023, 09:48:12 AM

Yes, I am in the middle of my Georgia Trip, this picture was taken less than 10 minutes ago.
When you really, really want to head south.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 24, 2023, 12:19:25 PM
I wonder if this SR 716 shield in Damascus, VA, is still there.

It was the last time I was through there and took notice of it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/iuGu4SRkpZJHRb8n9
It's odd that they chose PARKWAY END for the Harlem River Drive instead of freeway or expressway. Though technically a Parkway under NY State Law, most people don't think of it as such.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2023, 01:26:57 PM
It's odd that they chose PARKWAY END for the Harlem River Drive instead of freeway or expressway. Though technically a Parkway under NY State Law, most people don't think of it as such.
Doesn't "parkway ends" imply that trucks are allowed from that point onward?

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on August 25, 2023, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2023, 01:26:57 PM
Doesn't "parkway ends" imply that trucks are allowed from that point onward?

Considering a truck driver wouldn't be seeing this sign as trucks are banned from before here, I would say no.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

If the Department of Redundancy Department had a definitive collection...
Newark born, Richmond bred

Hot Rod Hootenanny

PennDOT wannabes...
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ClassicHasClass

I think having that happen on overheads/BGSes is not as unusual as reassurance shields, though. For example, San Diego has (or at least had, some have been replaced) a lot of 5 SOUTH 5 where one of the Interstate 5 shields was actually replacing a removed US 101.

thenetwork

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on August 26, 2023, 11:49:18 AM
I think having that happen on overheads/BGSes is not as unusual as reassurance shields, though. For example, San Diego has (or at least had, some have been replaced) a lot of 5 SOUTH 5 where one of the Interstate 5 shields was actually replacing a removed US 101.

As does/did Michigan -- especially in the SE part of the state.

wanderer2575

Quote from: thenetwork on August 27, 2023, 11:27:53 AM

(Exists no more...)

Streetman

Another case of signs that don't belong near each other:

There is a "School Speed Limit 25" sign just around the bend - but the school closed five years ago.

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 27, 2023, 11:59:08 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 27, 2023, 11:27:53 AM

(Exists no more...)

Washington State did this sometimes too, but I believe it was a style decision, nothing to do with covering up shields.

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on August 25, 2023, 11:58:41 PM

What's more interesting to me is how this assembly lost the one 'business' banner in 2008, then both arrow signs in 2022.   

Big John

roadman65

Odd for an interstate. Normal for a ramp though. The downward shield on the right.
https://goo.gl/maps/6hgye1Yexvnana97A

This is Local I-78 in Newark at the left exit for US 1& 9 which also is missing an exit number here with a LEFT yellow tab. Plus being the left exit is two lanes while through I-78 drops to one those are needed.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Big John

^^ TRUCKS should on the first line or on a separate placard above the rest of the text.

jakeroot

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 29, 2023, 09:26:49 PM
It is odd to see "NO RIGHT TURN TRUCKS" fully written out.  On US 13 BUS SB at NC 308 WB in Windsor.

Only trucks that can go straight and left, then? :D

74/171FAN

Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2023, 12:51:33 AM
It is odd to see "NO RIGHT TURN TRUCKS" fully written out.  On US 13 BUS SB at NC 308 WB in Windsor.

There is a NC 308 TRUCK route ahead because of this.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219276743469872&set=a.10219276900353794

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Big John

^^ Can anyone read the blue sign in the foreground at highway speed?

plain

The speed limit at that location is 25, not much of a highway speed is going on there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 30, 2023, 07:00:28 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 30, 2023, 12:51:33 AM

There is a NC 308 TRUCK route ahead because of this.

:-D I was afraid my joke may not be noticed.

The verbiage is bizarre to me, I would think "TRUCKS NO RIGHT TURN" would be better English.

As written, it sounds to be like it's banning "right turn[ing] trucks". Like, specifically those rare trucks capable of only turning right :D

Sorry, yes, I'm being a smart-ass.

Alex4897

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 27, 2023, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: plain on August 25, 2023, 11:58:41 PM

What's more interesting to me is how this assembly lost the one 'business' banner in 2008, then both arrow signs in 2022.   

You can actually see the arrow assembly on the ground in the 2023 imagery, and the business banner on the cusp of falling off in the 2007 imagery. It looks like they were mounted with some flimsy hardware that's been slowly falling apart over the years.

👉😎👉

johnandmegh

I don't know if this fits better elsewhere, but it's always bothered me...exiting I-270 SB onto Cemetery Rd / Fishinger Blvd, at the end of the ramp you are facing this sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/XfT5HNw6kLfGvbDE9

There are two problems here...for one, this exit is signed out on the highway as "Cemetery Rd / Fishinger Blvd", as the same physical road changes name when it crosses from the Columbus to Hilliard (suburb) city limits near this interchange, but this sign doesn't tell you which way is which.

Additionally, it's not at all obvious to any passer-by that because you are technically in the city of Hilliard, the "Downtown" referenced by the arrow is "Downtown Hilliard", not Downtown Columbus (the sign isn't even blue, as is the standard for Hilliard signs, in part to help distinguish from Columbus green signs).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.