News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2020, 03:38:41 AM
Question -- were the residents along the affected streets made part of the decision chain, or was this a top-down policy-driven mandate?  If the residents -- or an overwhelming majority of them -- acceded to the plan, it may well be considered valid; if imposed from above by well-meaning officials absent local input, not so much!  Perhaps the traffic lull resultant from the COVID problem was too much of an opportunity to ignore.  It'll be interesting to see the overall public reaction once the policy is fully instituted!     

It's very unlike Seattle not to impart their plans with local residents and develop goals based around their needs prior to any project (even smaller stuff). The more unusual thing here is the speed at which we went from no Healthy Streets, to permanent through-traffic closures. That indicates to me that public input was limited; the "Seattle process" usually precludes quick choices.

My guess is that blow-back will be stiff starting tomorrow, as more people become aware of the news. Local residents are likely indifferent to the decision, since they will continue to have access anyhow, but some roads like Lake Washington Blvd are not just scenic routes, but also important arterials, and redirected traffic could easily begin to ruin other streets, particularly as traffic returns back to original levels (which sucks, but it will absolutely happen).

Bruce

Lake Washington Boulevard is indeed scenic, which is why it should be opened to pedestrian and cyclist traffic. It's already like that on Sundays in summer and doesn't cause massive gridlock. Simply requiring regular cars to turn off where possible (and use alternative routes that are also scenic) would have little effect on traffic but come with a huge boost in livability.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 08, 2020, 06:26:47 PM
Lake Washington Boulevard is indeed scenic, which is why it should be opened to pedestrian and cyclist traffic. It's already like that on Sundays in summer and doesn't cause massive gridlock. Simply requiring regular cars to turn off where possible (and use alternative routes that are also scenic) would have little effect on traffic but come with a huge boost in livability.

One thing they've taught us in Urban Design is to not simply remove roadways, not least without serious consideration of traffic flow in the area; pushing cars off of one road is simply pushing them onto another, resulting in an increase of livability for one stretch, but a marked decrease for another.

Lake Washington Blvd isn't much of an arterial south/east of 49th, so I could see removing that stretch. But the rest is relatively important for north/south travel. Removing that road may result in an increase of traffic along Rainier, itself already experiencing plenty of issues. We don't need to be adding more cars to it, or adjacent neighborhood greenways. Let things balance out a bit. No reason to cram everyone onto one road, when we can design roads that allow car travel while not being a ruinous experience for pedestrians.

Down in the Tacoma Dome District, we are working on preliminary plans to close East 25th, between East D and the exit from the Sound Transit garage. This area has the Amtrak, Sounder, and Tacoma Link stations. Very heavy use by transit, and lots of pedestrians. The case is good. I just don't think SDOT has made the case for closing many of their roads. Not long term, at least.

ErmineNotyours

ErmineNotyours

Seattle Now & Then: West Seattle drawbridges, 1978

Someone asked earlier about the capacity of the older lower-level bridges.  The article said they were eight lanes, but the older photo shows the disabled bridge had three lanes.  They funneled the traffic onto four narrowed lanes on the remaining bridge.  Also the succession plans of West Seattle is discussed.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 22, 2020, 12:08:24 AM
Seattle Now & Then: West Seattle drawbridges, 1978

Someone asked earlier about the capacity of the older lower-level bridges.  The article said they were eight lanes, but the older photo shows the disabled bridge had three lanes.  They funneled the traffic onto four narrowed lanes on the remaining bridge.  Also the succession plans of West Seattle is discussed.

Cool article.

This video from Seattle Archives (which may not have aged well :-D) shows the old bridge in operation. Four lanes each way. Far left westbound lane was half concrete, half asphalt (see 1:12). Old aerial imagery suggests it was originally three lanes.

https://youtu.be/3pQ7LcpMrf8

By the way: fantastic video for anyone that hasn't seen it, irrespective of the current situation.

TEG24601

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 11, 2020, 09:57:48 PM
The Seattle Times: What cracked the West Seattle Bridge? Hidden design problem may have doomed it all along

Several engineer friends I know were really upset that the anchor cables don't cover the full span, and always told me that they way they did the tensioning was considered by many to be a ticking time-bomb.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

The traffic lights on Pine Street have been covered up with plastic bags during protests.

mrsman

Quote from: Bruce on June 08, 2020, 04:28:25 AM
The traffic lights on Pine Street have been covered up with plastic bags during protests.

Why?  Is the street closed to traffic at all times?

Nexus 5X

jakeroot

Maybe while the protestors are at it, they can forcibly remove the signals and place them on the corners so I can fucking see the signals when there's a bus ahead of me. Since right now, I'm blind approaching every intersection in my Golf.

stevashe

Quote from: mrsman on June 08, 2020, 10:49:35 AM

I believe the street has been closed 24/7 since the protests began here, yes.

Bruce

Nexus 5X

Yep, a few streets around the East Precinct on Capitol Hill are blocked at practically all times by the police barricades, and the west entry on Pine Street is where the main protest is.

roadfro

Quote from: Bruce on June 09, 2020, 01:04:16 AM

Yep, a few streets around the East Precinct on Capitol Hill are blocked at practically all times by the police barricades, and the west entry on Pine Street is where the main protest is.

Doesn't seem necessary to bag the signals though. Just flash them red or turn them off...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on June 09, 2020, 11:34:51 AM

Doesn't seem necessary to bag the signals though. Just flash them red or turn them off...

I'm thinking they are trying to protect them.

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on June 09, 2020, 05:39:17 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 09, 2020, 11:34:51 AM

I'm thinking they are trying to protect them.

Probably. Just saw some that were flashing red on the news just now though, so I'm thinking they only did this at the one intersection at the center of the gatherings.

Bruce

Pine Street has a new sign for the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone:

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on June 10, 2020, 11:36:36 PM

The one I saw in the news had an upside-down Washington:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaMBmdqUYAIhs7f.jpg

mrsman

So this sign was fabricated and made just for these latest protests?  It seems like an unnecessary detail given all that is happening.

Although, if they do make a truly autonomous zone, I suppose they would need border crossings and the like, similar to other DMZs out there in the real world.

Bruce

Quote from: Alps on June 11, 2020, 01:32:10 AM

That one is on Pike Street (which I saw today). This one was at Pine and Nagle.

Quote from: mrsman on June 12, 2020, 09:19:33 AM
So this sign was fabricated and made just for these latest protests?  It seems like an unnecessary detail given all that is happening.

Although, if they do make a truly autonomous zone, I suppose they would need border crossings and the like, similar to other DMZs out there in the real world.

A random person made it and put it up. It's art even if it isn't MUTCD compliant.

If CHAZ ends up existing long-term, there wouldn't be hard borders but it would likely be treated like Freetown Christiania in Copenhagen (before it was normalized). At most I see Pine Street being closed to thru traffic (except buses, potentially), which would be a boon for the neighborhood.

mrsman

Quote from: Bruce on June 13, 2020, 12:50:02 AM
Quote from: Alps on June 11, 2020, 01:32:10 AM

That one is on Pike Street (which I saw today). This one was at Pine and Nagle.

Quote from: mrsman on June 12, 2020, 09:19:33 AM

A random person made it and put it up. It's art even if it isn't MUTCD compliant.

If CHAZ ends up existing long-term, there wouldn't be hard borders but it would likely be treated like Freetown Christiania in Copenhagen (before it was normalized). At most I see Pine Street being closed to thru traffic (except buses, potentially), which would be a boon for the neighborhood.

So there is an artistic roadgeek in CHAZ.  How interesting!

Thunderbyrd316

Does anyone have any insights in to the meaning of either "EXIT 1312" or route number "F12"?

Alps

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on June 17, 2020, 06:09:40 PM

Does anyone have any insights in to the meaning of either "EXIT 1312" or route number "F12"?
Yes, but those are political in nature and so I would direct you outside this forum.

mrsman

Quote from: Alps on June 17, 2020, 07:26:16 PM
Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on June 17, 2020, 06:09:40 PM

Yes, but those are political in nature and so I would direct you outside this forum.
You have to look them up in the urban dictionary.  I just did and now it makes sense.

Bruce

A sinkhole opened a few days ago next to EB I-82 near Zillah and has been repaired by WSDOT.

https://twitter.com/WSDOT_East/status/1274446621732794368

Bruce

WSP doing the right thing by not escalating the nightly protests on I-5 (which haven't inconvenienced people that much, given how late they are).

https://mynorthwest.com/1973919/washington-state-patrol-i5-protesters/

WSDOT has also been using their VMS near I-405 to post this message:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.