News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Routes that parallel state borders

Started by hotdogPi, October 09, 2013, 04:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiaman

NM 9 crawls across  the  Bootheel  of  NM,  much  of  it  close  to  the Mexican  border.  AZ  80  hugs  the  Mexican  border  from Douglas  to Bisbee.  AZ  95  follows  the  California  border  for  most  of  its  route.

roadman65

US 5 and I-91 are pretty close to the NH State Line (Connecticut River) from the MA Line to St. Johnsbury, VT. 

US 3 travels about 30 or so miles on the east side of the Connecticut River in NH after US 5 and I-91 part ways on the other side in Vermont.

Does not the I-80/90 Toll Road in Indiana follow close to the MI state line for over 100 miles or more?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JCinSummerfield

Yes on I-80/90, being within eyeshot of Michigan.  Also, don't forget about OH-7, running along Ohio's SE & E border.

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2013, 01:38:28 PM
US 5 and I-91 are pretty close to the NH State Line (Connecticut River) from the MA Line to St. Johnsbury, VT.

That was mentioned in the original post!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

cpzilliacus

I-68 in West Virginia and Maryland runs close to, but never enters, Pennsylvania.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 10, 2013, 03:56:11 PM
I-68 in West Virginia and Maryland runs close to, but never enters, Pennsylvania.

similarly, US-18 never enters Nebraska.

US-52, however, does enter Kentucky.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

JMoses24

HB mentioned KY 8.

US 50 parallels the Kentucky state line for a period from south of the junction with Ohio SR 125, through downtown Cincinnati, out to just south of Ohio SR 128 near Cleves, Ohio. If we ignore that deviation to the north (it only lasts about a mile or so), then US 50 can be said to parallel the KY state line into Indiana to just outside of Aurora, Indiana, where it finally leaves the Ohio River behind for good.

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

hbelkins

Two that just popped into my mind after reading the links in the WV railroad vs. log truck thead. WV 90 and WV 24. Both parallel the Maryland state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Thing 342

US 58 never gets more than about 20 miles from the VA-NC-TN border throughout its 508-mile length.

thenetwork

SR-184 (Alexis Road) is the last major east-west highway in Toledo before you cross into Michigan.  Most, if not all of SR-184 is less than 3/4-miles from the border.

TCN7JM

Quote from: 1 on October 09, 2013, 04:02:53 PM
I-29 in Nebraska, and across the border, US 75
Other way around. I-29 is on the Iowa side, US-75 crosses the border in Sioux City and parallels the river on the Nebraska side from there south.

Apologies if this has already gotten a mention, but Iowa Highway 9 parallels the Minnesota state line.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

NE2

US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk parallels the south part of the Nevada-California border.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2013, 06:54:46 PM
Two that just popped into my mind after reading the links in the WV railroad vs. log truck thead. WV 90 and WV 24. Both parallel the Maryland state line.

Especially W.Va. 90 (because it's longer than W.Va. 24, though not especially long).  It runs through mostly wild and undeveloped (but frequently mined-out) lands from U.S. 219 relatively close to the upper reaches of the Potomac River and ends a stone's throw from the Potomac just east of Bayard at U.S. 50.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buck87

US 52 closely hugs the Ohio River from downtown Cincinnati until it finally crosses it into Huntington WV. It covers about 90% of the OH/KY border.

OH 49 follows the Indiana border from Greenville to the Michigan line where it becomes M 49. It covers about 2/3 of the OH/IN border.

The OH/MI border is really all that extensive, but it does have US 20 following it pretty closely most of the way.

The Lake Erie shoreline isn't really a border, but if we want to count routes following a states outline then OH 2 would get the nod here for covering most of that.

And as mentioned previously, OH 7 is the king of border roads in Ohio, covering pretty much the entire WV and PA borders.

national highway 1

I-8, CA 94 and CA 98 parallel the California-Mexico Border.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

US81

What about ON the border, as US 71 thru Texarkana? TX and AR.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.