News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulRAnderson

I would say 8 lanes east of I-84, 10 lanes inside 495, and 12 lanes inside 128 up to Allston/Brighton.  Inside of there, it gets a little tough with the city street grid.

The portion between I-84 and I-290 is choked up more than any other stretch.  Start with eight lanes there.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PaulRAnderson on October 06, 2019, 03:14:01 PM
I would say 8 lanes east of I-84, 10 lanes inside 495, and 12 lanes inside 128 up to Allston/Brighton.  Inside of there, it gets a little tough with the city street grid.

The portion between I-84 and I-290 is choked up more than any other stretch.  Start with eight lanes there.
Or add climbing lanes.

Route99

Quote from: DJStephens on October 06, 2019, 01:35:31 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 04, 2019, 11:41:42 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 04, 2019, 10:29:41 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 04, 2019, 08:11:59 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 01, 2019, 04:54:33 PM
I am not sure what the solution is for the Pike east of I-84.  Another bad aspect of that road is that drivers slow down on upgrades.  So...flatten it out. :D
I would favor a cars only/all vehicles split, widen to 12 lanes total.
That's rather extreme. 8 lanes should suffice for most circumstances.

The Turnpike is a pre-Interstate design.   Yes it should be reconstructed at some point between 84 and 128, completely, by opening up the median, blasting rock faces outwards, and flattening vertical curves.   All new two span bridges, also, replacing early/mid fifties four span overpasses. 
Don't believe any widening could be done E of 128, due to a narrow footprint, and air right construction over the highway itself.  Newtonville and Newton Corner.   Have to wonder though why the Turnpike authority in the early sixties did not specify an eight lane cross section all the way out to 128.     The section E of route 128 was known for a long time as the Turnpike Extension, as the section W of 128 had been finished and open for at least 10-12 years before the Extension construction was underway.   

At the time the Extension was built, construction of the Inner Belt (I-695) was still planned, with an interchange in the area where Comm. Ave crosses the Pike.  It was probably expected that much less traffic would use the part of the Pike west of that, since Rte 2 and the unbuilt SouthWest Expy (original I-95) would have been easily accessed alternatives.

That section should ideally be widened to 4 lanes, but it is probably not practical. One improvement that could be made would be to redesign the messy interchange with Rte 95/128 and Rte 30 now that the tollbooths are gone. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: DJStephens on October 06, 2019, 01:35:31 AMHave to wonder though why the Turnpike authority in the early sixties did not specify an eight lane cross section all the way out to 128
Much of the Pike's Boston Extension was constructed adjacent to very active railroad corridors & tracks.  An 8-lane corridor plus shoulders would've drastically impacted those rail lines.

Historic note: Fred Salvucci's grandmother was evicted from her home due to the construction of the Boston Extension.  This would be the same Fred Salvucci that would later become Gov. Dukakis' Transportation Secretary and the master architect of the Big Dig.

Quote from: Route99 on October 06, 2019, 09:26:01 PMAt the time the Extension was built, construction of the Inner Belt (I-695) was still planned, with an interchange in the area where Comm. Ave crosses the Pike.  It was probably expected that much less traffic would use the part of the Pike west of that, since Rte 2 and the unbuilt SouthWest Expy (original I-95) would have been easily accessed alternatives.
Quite true.  Had the inner Belt (I-695) & the Route 2 Connector been built, a fair amount of east-west traffic would've used those roadways instead of the Boston Extension.

Quote from: Route99 on October 06, 2019, 09:26:01 PMThat section should ideally be widened to 4 lanes, but it is probably not practical.
See above.  Much of the Boston Extension abuts active railroad tracks.

Quote from: Route99 on October 06, 2019, 09:26:01 PMOne improvement that could be made would be to redesign the messy interchange with Rte 95/128 and Rte 30 now that the tollbooths are gone.
It's worth noting that some minor tweaks were done to that interchange, mostly on the Pike's end since those toll booths came down.  Given the surrounding area & unlike the I-495 interchange in Hopkinton, I don't believe there's too much one can do with the Weston (I-95 (MA 128)/MA 30) interchange without totally disturbing the surrounding area.  Not to mention that traffic would still need to be maintained during the construction process.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 06, 2019, 03:26:15 PM
Quote from: PaulRAnderson on October 06, 2019, 03:14:01 PM

Or add climbing lanes.

Grades are not severe enough between I-84 and I-290 in either direction to justify climbing lanes.  However, at a minimum, they should extend the fourth lane eastbound that begins at I-84 from beyond the current lane drop to well past the entrance from the eastbound Charlton service plaza.  This is probably the biggest recurring congestion point, even when traffic is relatively light otherwise.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Drivers on the Pike have begun to slow down on the weakest of grades.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2019, 12:04:18 PM
It's the trucks that are the problem.  They take the center lane to pass someone and then they slow down on the upgrade.

Rothman

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 07, 2019, 05:41:46 PM
It's the trucks that are the problem.  They take the center lane to pass someone and then they slow down on the upgrade.
I don't think so.  Plenty of passenger vehicles slow down of their own accord.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 07, 2019, 09:24:15 AM

Historic note: Fred Salvucci's grandmother was evicted from her home due to the construction of the Boston Extension.  This would be the same Fred Salvucci that would later lead the effort to kill off the Inner Belt, Southwest and Northeast Expressways, and brag about it.
FTFY. Source: had him as a lecturer.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on October 07, 2019, 09:52:03 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 07, 2019, 09:24:15 AM
Historic note: Fred Salvucci's grandmother was evicted from her home due to the construction of the Boston Extension.  This would be the same Fred Salvucci that would later lead the effort to kill off the Inner Belt, Southwest and Northeast Expressways, and brag about it.
FTFY. Source: had him as a lecturer.
While the contents of your edit are, no doubt, true; such doesn't change the fact that he was Gov. Dukakis' Transportation Secretary from 1975-1979 and 1983-1991 and backed the Big Dig while serving under Gov. Dukakis.  Local newspapers, the Boston Herald in particular, in the mid-to-late 1980s referred to the Big Dig project as Freddie's Nightmare.

Initially the Big Dig proposal only involved replacing the Central Artery but no Third Harbor (Ted Williams) Tunnel.  Such changed sometime during the 1980s when the proposed alignment of the tunnel (originally planned to run through the Fort Point Channel (based on old plans/reports)) was realigned to what was ultimately built. 

With regards to your above-edit/fix to my earlier post; I would've personally have done the following:

Quote from: PHLBOS unedited replyThis would be the same Fred Salvucci that would later become Gov. Dukakis' Transportation Secretary and the master architect of the Big Dig.

Quote from: Suggested Alps quoteThis was also the same Fred Salvucci that would later lead the effort to kill off the Inner Belt, Southwest and Northeast Expressways, and brag about it.  I know this because I had him as a lecturer.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Salvucci backed the Big Dig largely because of the public transportation improvements that were promised as mitigation.  While work on the Green Line Extension, which has taken way too long to complete and has gone horribly over budget, is still under way, the MBTA has cancelled restoration of light rail to Arborway and has delayed the Red-Blue Line connector.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on October 08, 2019, 09:32:09 AM
Salvucci backed the Big Dig largely because of the public transportation improvements that were promised as mitigation.  While work on the Green Line Extension, which has taken way too long to complete and has gone horribly over budget, is still under way, the MBTA has cancelled restoration of light rail to Arborway and has delayed the Red-Blue Line connector.
From what I've seen in his interviews, public transportation benefits were nowhere near "largely" a reason for his support of the Big Dig.

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2019, 07:53:58 PM

That's not just the Pike in Massachusetts. 495, on the tiny grades near the Chelmsford rest area or the borderline-unnoticeable hill near MA 133 in Tewksbury, traffic slows considerably and in rush hour grinds to a halt briefly. Wish people knew how to use cruise control...

roadman

Quote from: SectorZ on October 08, 2019, 09:52:07 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 07, 2019, 07:53:58 PM

That's not just the Pike in Massachusetts. 495, on the tiny grades near the Chelmsford rest area or the borderline-unnoticeable hill near MA 133 in Tewksbury, traffic slows considerably and in rush hour grinds to a halt briefly. Wish people knew how to use cruise control...

Also the minor grade on I-95 (128) south of Washington Street in Woburn.

5foot14

So the sign replacement project on I-495 has been progressing and I noticed some oddities at the end of the Ward Hill Connector...

The first pic shows the new paddle sign going NORTH on 125 right at the split.

The second pic, going south right at the split...

See what they did there?
I'm assuming they will correct that at some point.

Also the third pic shows the paddle sign where the connector ends at 125. I find it extremely unusual they chose an airport sign panel over ya know referencing route 125 South?

SM-G900P

jp the roadgeek

Saw an odd thing when I looked at Apple Maps in the area of Clayton, MA and North Canaan, CT: there is a MA 73 shield on Clayton Rd and Canaan Rd through the town of New Marlborough.  The road passes from North Canaan into New Marlborough, then crosses back into North Canaan a couple miles later.  Is there any history behind this numbering, or is it an obvious error?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 22, 2019, 09:06:48 PM
Saw an odd thing when I looked at Apple Maps in the area of Clayton, MA and North Canaan, CT: there is a MA 73 shield on Clayton Rd and Canaan Rd through the town of New Marlborough.  The road passes from North Canaan into New Marlborough, then crosses back into North Canaan a couple miles later.  Is there any history behind this numbering, or is it an obvious error?
Error

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on October 08, 2019, 09:32:09 AM

He's been pretty clear that they had a holistic transportation vision in place, of which all these pieces were part. One thing he has emphasized time and time again is that the mitigation efforts were designed to mitigate in affected corridors, and that his successors abandoned that core principle by making substitutions like suburban parking lots rather than urban transit projects.

And from the horse's mouth, the last time I talked to him (as he kept his head down in the back of a Watertown church basement showing of a documentary on Hood Rubber, where his father worked), Mr. Salvucci reiterated that it was *his* childhood home obliterated by the Turnpike Extension.

Pete from Boston

Were there ever any fanciful plans to expand Route 16 west of I 93? The 1960 overpasses over Main St. (Mass. 38) and 93 are really overbuilt, even with evening backups, and the one over Main St has pavement actually closed off by guardrail.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 25, 2019, 03:49:43 PM
Were there ever any fanciful plans to expand Route 16 west of I 93? The 1960 overpasses over Main St. (Mass. 38) and 93 are really overbuilt, even with evening backups, and the one over Main St has pavement actually closed off by guardrail.

Could that freeway stub would had been part of the cancelled Inner beltway? http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/inner-belt/

Roadsguy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 26, 2019, 10:58:03 AM

Could that freeway stub would had been part of the cancelled Inner beltway? http://www.bostonroads.com/roads/inner-belt/

No, the Inner Beltway would have ended here where the ramps to Storrow Drive now tie in.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2019, 11:04:02 AM

No, the Inner Beltway would have ended here where the ramps to Storrow Drive now tie in.

I know, that's something else entirely.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 26, 2019, 12:03:44 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2019, 11:04:02 AM

I know, that's something else entirely.
Interesting.  The only other thing I can think of is that its striped for channelizing down to one lane.  MassDOT also does this on I-91 NB prior to the US 5 multiplex, going from three lanes to two by striping out the right lane.

Another thought:  just looking around on Maps, perhaps there was a plan to make the Alewife Brook Pkwy limited-access, or an extension of MA 2 to I-93.  There is a sizable strip of land to the left of the Alewife, maybe that was ROW set aside for another carriageway.

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 26, 2019, 02:55:49 PMAnother thought:  just looking around on Maps, perhaps there was a plan to make the Alewife Brook Pkwy limited-access, or an extension of MA 2 to I-93.  There is a sizable strip of land to the left of the Alewife, maybe that was ROW set aside for another carriageway.
What you're describing is the cancelled Route 2 Connector, east of the Alewife Station.  Such would've gone roughly a few miles to the cancelled I-695/Inner Belt which would've connected to I-93.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 28, 2019, 09:22:28 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 26, 2019, 02:55:49 PMAnother thought:  just looking around on Maps, perhaps there was a plan to make the Alewife Brook Pkwy limited-access, or an extension of MA 2 to I-93.  There is a sizable strip of land to the left of the Alewife, maybe that was ROW set aside for another carriageway.
What you're describing is the cancelled Route 2 Connector, east of the Alewife Station.  Such would've gone roughly a few miles to the cancelled I-695/Inner Belt which would've connected to I-93.
So I came across this website...
https://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2007/07/unbuilt-highways/
It's essentially some guy who mapped out (using Google Maps) unbuilt highways in various cities, Boston being on of them. He based the map off of a website called Boston's Cancelled Highways, the link to that site is now unfortunately long dead (redirects to Aol). What's interesting is that the map shows a Mystic Valley Expressway, connecting route 2 to 93 along the existing parkway, and the article mentions it would have been an elevated route. That would seem to explain why the Main st overpass is overbuilt. However, lots of Google searching has turned up nothing about a Mystic Valley Expressway, and without his original source to check out, who knows if there was ever actually such a plan in mind? Anyone ever heard of such a thing or have any thoughts?

SM-G900P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.