News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AASHTO Committee on Route Numbering (Nov. 2012) Actions

Started by Grzrd, November 28, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2012, 06:01:39 PM
So have the actual documents been posted anywhere?

They may be posted in one to two weeks. From an email reply I received today (Feb. 22):

When I checked with my colleague in engineering about those items, she was out of the office at a conference.  She acknowledged, however, that others had also asked her about those applications and that she was planning to post those online soon after she returned here.  From what I can tell, those applications aren't available there yet. I would recommend that you give it another week to see if that information is online by that time.  If not, I will check again on the status and get a timeframe.  AASHTO does have its annual legislative briefing here in Washington, DC, early next week, and my sense is that she and others on the engineering staff have their hands full right now helping to get ready for that.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 11, 2012, 09:56:51 PM
Madison is being SOOOOO lazy.   :D  If Indy can do it with two numbers (with directional letters added, even) and St. Louis can do it with three and even FOUR....

Shouldn't that shield read "INTERSTATES" instead?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: roadman on February 22, 2013, 06:48:45 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on December 11, 2012, 09:56:51 PM
Madison is being SOOOOO lazy.   :D  If Indy can do it with two numbers (with directional letters added, even) and St. Louis can do it with three and even FOUR....

Shouldn't that shield read "INTERSTATES" instead?

Grzrd

NE2

:thumbsup:

Interesting bits:
QuoteThe TRUCK designation and auxiliary plaque has existed in the MUTCD since 1971; however, the current Purpose and Policy statement on US Numbered Highways does not yet recognize a TRUCK designation at this time. Arizona believes that a TRUCK designation should be allowed and recognized for US Highways where appropriate, and formally requests that this segment of highway be officially recognized and approved as US 95 Truck.

I-370 now officially ends where the mainline becomes MD 200, rather than at the park & ride.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Why isn't the entire road I-370 (or MD 200?)

Where is the park and ride?  It's not obvious on the aerial view.

bugo

It says "we don't do truck routes" re: Truck US 95 in AZ then it says "approved."

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Stalin on February 25, 2013, 02:50:19 PM

If I understand correctly, I-370 formerly ended here at the Shady Grove Metro station park-and-ride, and it now ends here at the trumpet interchange where MD 200 begins.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 25, 2013, 03:04:21 PM
If I understand correctly, I-370 formerly ended here at the Shady Grove Metro station park-and-ride, and it now ends here at the trumpet interchange where MD 200 begins.
What the Goog calls (probably incorrectly) "Redland Extension" is old I-370.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 25, 2013, 03:04:21 PM
Quote from: Stalin on February 25, 2013, 02:50:19 PM

This is correct.  That short segment of (what was) I-370 from the present-day trumpet  interchange of 370 and Md. 200 past the Shady Grove Road interchange and to the Shady Grove Metrorail station is now designated as Md. 200A (according to the 2011 Highway Location Reference, it is 0.515 miles long and known officially as the "Metro Access Road").
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vtk

If a state submits an application for an Interstate route with the number "to be determined", I think the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering should assign a number, rather than disapproving the application outright.  Then again, maybe they would have done that had Texas included a map "to show Interstate routes are interconnected"?

Also, disappointed not to see an application from Ohio about relocating US 33 around Nelsonville.  Maybe in the next round...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2013, 02:43:36 PM
Interesting bits:
QuoteThe TRUCK designation and auxiliary plaque has existed in the MUTCD since 1971; however, the current Purpose and Policy statement on US Numbered Highways does not yet recognize a TRUCK designation at this time. Arizona believes that a TRUCK designation should be allowed and recognized for US Highways where appropriate, and formally requests that this segment of highway be officially recognized and approved as US 95 Truck.

AZ then needs to come back at them and ask them why they officially approved Truck US-19 here in Pittsburgh.

oscar

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 27, 2013, 08:27:29 AM
Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2013, 02:43:36 PM
Interesting bits:

AZ then needs to come back at them and ask them why they officially approved Truck US-19 here in Pittsburgh.

I was down in San Luis AZ yesterday.  Truck US 95 signage is already up there.

I think on that one, AZ was asking AASHTO to ratify what was already on the ground.  Arizona's other applications in this batch (reroutings of US 93 in Wickenburg and Kingman and US 180 in Flagstaff, short truncation of US 89 in Flagstaff) similarly asked for approval of what the state had already done.

BTW, one of the contact persons on the Arizona applications is Richard Moeur.  He once made occasional appearances on misc.transport.road, most famously in a rant about people who wanted to slap Interstate shields on Phoenix's loop freeways. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vtk

Quote from: oscar on February 27, 2013, 09:29:50 AM
BTW, one of the contact persons on the Arizona applications is Richard Moeur.  He once made occasional appearances on misc.transport.road, most famously in a rant about people who wanted to slap Interstate shields on Phoenix's loop freeways. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen him active recently.  Isn't he on the forum?  I'm pretty sure I follow him on Twitter, too.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on February 27, 2013, 09:29:50 AM

I have met him at least once at annual meetings of TRB, though not especially recently.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

usends

I think on that one, AZ was asking AASHTO to ratify what was already on the ground.

That's correct: Truck 95 signs have been there since at least 2000, probably longer:
http://usends.com/90-99/095/095.html
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.