News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

High School Field Trip

Started by tolbs17, September 11, 2019, 07:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Hey everyone, we are going to have a high school field trip from Pitt County Fairgrounds and to Greenville Mall. I just wanted to share thestuff we have with you guys and want to know what it's like going to the fair and the mall on a field trip!

Scott5114

I'm pretty sure most of us can go to the fair or the mall whenever we want. It's not really that special.

I don't go to the State Fair of Oklahoma because it made me vomit in 1997.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2019, 07:33:45 AM
because it made me vomit in 1997.
That could be an attraction for some board members.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 11, 2019, 07:08:43 AM
Hey everyone, we are going to have a high school field trip from Pitt County Fairgrounds and to Greenville Mall. I just wanted to share thestuff we have with you guys and want to know what it's like going to the fair and the mall on a field trip!

I am so freaking excited!!! Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Speaking of fairs, the only one worth going to is the Minnesota State Fair.

ozarkman417

Not once did I go on a field trip in Freshman year.

tolbs17

It's on the 19th, by the way

english si

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 11, 2019, 07:53:57 AMNot once did I go on a field trip in Freshman year.
That was the only year of High School, if I translate across from our different system, I did field trips - save the below exception:

In Junior-equivalent year, we did a trip to the Science Museum as my teacher wanted to see the new wing that had literally just opened, and so a field trip was a good excuse for her to go. We were broken up into small groups that were allocated an exhibit, given a worksheet that basically asked us what the exhibit we were sent to was about and was it good (well beneath our level, but mostly about giving recommendations and review for the teachers in how they spent the rest of the day) that took 20-30 minutes tops (my group took 15 as we didn't have to walk far - and most of the time we were questioning the simplicity of the worksheet) so they could say we did some work, and then given free reign until it was leaving time on two conditions - we stayed in our small groups and we didn't leave the museum.

The rest of the time we were just too busy to do field trips, and after exams for a jolly was just pointless as it would be like dragging us back for no reason - we were old enough and clever enough to organise our own jollies anyway - and they would be more fun!

roadman

We never went on field trips in high school.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

roadwaywiz isn't horribly active on here, so you're spared his trademark meme, which I REALLY want to post but am too nice to do so.

Quote from: GaryV on September 11, 2019, 07:36:46 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2019, 07:33:45 AM
because it made me vomit in 1997.
That could be an attraction for some board members.

It's poo you're thinking of, not vomit.

Quote from: roadman on September 11, 2019, 03:24:59 PM

Ditto
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

tolbs17

I'm in an autism class

Alps

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 11, 2019, 04:46:53 PM
I'm in an autism class
I thought you already knew how. 😁

ozarkman417

The only time I get to skip class is when I go for a school sports event. I have a Cross Country meet that lasts all day tomorrow. Then you have the people who skip class just because they want to.

Scott5114

My high school used to cancel* class entirely when the softball team had an important game. Even as a kid, I thought that was a bit beyond the pale.

*Class wasn't officially cancelled, so the day still counted toward the state-mandated 180 days of class, but anyone who wished to go to the game was allowed to, and there were only enough students left over to fill one classroom, so they simply showed movies. Most of the kids were only at the game long enough to make eye contact with the principal and would then leave at the earliest available opportunity.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

We didn't have many field trips in high school, but there were some.  In 9th/10th grade (whichever grade a given person had Biology; typically 10th, but a LOT of students are on the accelerated math/science program) get to go to Cape Cod as space allows for a whale watch.  The AP American students actually get to go to the Strong Museum of Play, as there's a local US history conference for high school students that uses their activity rooms as a venue.  The AP Government and Politics class goes to Ottawa to see Parliament.

Also, when I was there the seniors got to go to Darien Lake at the end of the year after the rehearsal for graduation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dlsterner

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 11, 2019, 07:53:57 AM
Not once did I go on a field trip in Freshman year.

It could be worse - I didn't even have a Freshman year!

Explanation: where/when I went to high school, 9th grade was still Junior High School (and never referred as "Freshman year").  High school started with 10th grade; first year was oddly "Sophomore year".

allniter89

My high school field trip took us to Wash DC from Dover, DE. We visited the usual places ie Arlington National Cemetary,  the Smithsonian etc. We got back home really late (2am) b/c a couple of dumbasses went away from the class to explore on their own. The busses wouldn't leave them so we sat around waiting 5 hrs until they showed up drunk & high. I was po'd b/c I was'nt invited :-D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

index

Once you got to high school here, field trips are pretty much nonexistent unless you're willing to shell out $4000 to go to Europe or South America or something over the summer, those are the only field trips offered anymore. No more day-long trips to the museum or three days in DC or what have you/
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

ozarkman417

^ which was exactly what I did in 8th grade. Those trips are usually during some sort of break and are hosted by WorldStrides or similar company rather than the school, like my DC trip where I was on a charter bus for almost 20 hours. Those poor souls taking the trip in the future now have to fly there.

SM-G965U

inkyatari

Since I was in choir, we'd go into Chicago to the symphony,opera, or to see a musical.  Once , during some down time, me and two friends went up to the John Hancock center observation floor, stayed up there a while, then came back down to the ground floor. One in my group went into a store to buy some candy, while myself and the other friend waited outside.  After the third in our group returned from the store, we were kicked out of the Hancock center.

Funny how that happened AFTER we spent money there.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jeffandnicole

I remember going on class trips each year in school, although I can't remember if they were either/or subject specific or grade-wide trips especially in high school.  In our Senior year, we had our annual class trip flying from Philly to Disney World and the surrounding area.

Quote from: dlsterner on September 11, 2019, 11:34:32 PM
It could be worse - I didn't even have a Freshman year!

Explanation: where/when I went to high school, 9th grade was still Junior High School (and never referred as "Freshman year").  High school started with 10th grade; first year was oddly "Sophomore year".

My school was set up the same way:  The Junior High was 7th - 9th grades; Senior High was 10th - 12th Grades.  However, in 9th grade we were definitely referred to as Freshmen.  Both schools were on the same overall campus, with the football field in between.  Oddly, they didn't have a roadway within the campus to get between the two schools.  Due to the parking lot traffic flow circulation, it took two roads to get from the Junior High to the Senior High.  After I left, they significantly expanded the Senior High which became a true high school for 9th-12th grades, and the Junior High become 7th & 8th grades.

For what it's worth, my school was called Clearview.  Absolutely no relation to the font we all like and dislike!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 11, 2019, 07:47:31 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 11, 2019, 07:08:43 AM

I am so freaking excited!!! Can't wait! :rolleyes:

Speaking of fairs, the only one worth going to is the Minnesota State Fair.

My favorite thing in Minnesota is a giant ball of twine in Darwin.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

I hardly ever go to the state fair here in Mississippi because I've been many times and is the same ole same ole.

adventurernumber1

Field trips were definitely more common in middle and (especially) elementary school than high school for me. IIRC, I went on two field trips during high school, both of which were class/subject specific. The first one was in 9th Grade with my Spanish class where we just went up to Chattanooga to eat at a Mexican restaurant. The second one was in my AP Environmental Science class in 12th Grade where we went to the local wastewater treatment center to see first-hand how it worked. Since the center would have been somewhat private and exclusive to people allowed to be there, this also gave me the opportunity to see some new local roads for the first time that I never would have had the chance to see otherwise. On that note, it was also incredibly interesting to see all the huge transmission towers (power lines) along those roads, as I also find those things fascinating (along with cell towers and the sort). There was a Junior Trip offered that visited New York City and Boston, but I was not able to go on that.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

tolbs17

We never had field trips in middle school because of our strict principal. The only field trip we would go to is "Special Olympics"

For 9th grade we went to RJ's, Golden Corral, Pitt County Fairgrounds, Greenville Convention Center, and somewhere near downtown. (don't remember where it was) This was sometime in 2016 and 2017.

For 10th grade, I didn't go anywhere besides Special Olympics. I could have went on a field trip but the school bus did not show up and I got SO mad. (2017 and 2018)

For 11th grade, I didn't really go anywhere because nothing was planned. (2018 and 2019)

Now for 12th grade we will go to the fair again which happened 3 years ago finally! And to the Greenville Mall where I've never been before. (2019 - 2020)

ozarkman417

WHY would you go to Golden Corral as part of a school trip. My third grade teacher got food poisoned there and I've seem ambulances there twice and everyone I know has vowed to never go back.

SM-G965U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.