News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

High School Field Trip

Started by tolbs17, September 11, 2019, 07:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 13, 2019, 10:48:00 PM
WHY would you go to Golden Corral as part of a school trip. My third grade teacher got food poisoned there and I've seem ambulances there twice and everyone I know has vowed to never go back.

SM-G965U
Because that's the place they chose us to go to. We don't get to vote where we want to go to, it's up to the teachers. I don't really go to Golden Corral really, it's not the best.

index

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 13, 2019, 10:48:00 PM
WHY would you go to Golden Corral as part of a school trip. My third grade teacher got food poisoned there and I've seem ambulances there twice and everyone I know has vowed to never go back.

SM-G965U
Oh my goodness, Golden Corral is so disgusting. You've seen the chocolate fountains there, right? Little kids stick their (probably unwashed) fingers and hands in there, god knows where those hands have been stuck, I've seen flies land in them, people stick foods that really shouldn't go with them there, etc etc. They get clogged up all the time, and at the buffet it's probably not very sanitary either. The food always leaves you feeling sick to some degree, in my experience.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

tolbs17

So is RJ's Barbecue better than Golden Corral? At least they serve you and you don't serve yourself. The food is good there, but it's in a very old building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.593244,-77.3956315,3a,30.1y,278.5h,93.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soXIG-mCztjAmwMPFDqbioQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DoXIG-mCztjAmwMPFDqbioQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D281.08005%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I wish they remodeled it. They said they were going to turn it into a mixed use development, but it's not official.

Rothman

Golden Corral is an edible cesspool.  Why the one here is always crowded is beyond me.  Tour buses also stop there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 12, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
^ which was exactly what I did in 8th grade. Those trips are usually during some sort of break and are hosted by WorldStrides or similar company rather than the school, like my DC trip where I was on a charter bus for almost 20 hours. Those poor souls taking the trip in the future now have to fly there.

SM-G965U
You did that? There was no way I was spending a week of my summer break on a stuffy, uncomfortable bus driving to Washington with my deficient classmates.

In_Correct

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 11, 2019, 07:08:43 AM
Hey everyone, we are going to have a high school field trip from Pitt County Fairgrounds and to Greenville Mall. I just wanted to share thestuff we have with you guys and want to know what it's like going to the fair and the mall on a field trip!

High School Field Trip is disaster. By the time of High School, the students have plenty of money to be able to buy mostly snacks. The days of Charlie Brown eating Peanut Butter Sandwich from home outside during recess have ended many decades ago. They almost have food courts now. At University, they DO have lots of restaurants.  So when they went on Field Trip to some exhibit, they stopped at a shopping mall (or a very large shopping center) to go to an Espresso place. They returned to the buses with Espressos. With the array of foods sold in schools, as well as most bus trips are Sport related, the high school students are accustomed to buying Espressos when they should not be. Coaches were usually unfazed by this but full time teachers were annoyed. They thought they were going to make every body be late. The biggest problem is drinking Espresso on a bus.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: In_Correct on September 14, 2019, 04:05:39 PM
The biggest problem is drinking Espresso on a bus.

Ahh yes, The Espresso Problem: a famous problem in contemporary public school life.

thspfc

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 14, 2019, 05:07:08 PM

Ahh yes, The Espresso Problem: a famous problem in contemporary public school life.
o no

Scott5114

Given a list of Starbucks and the distances between each Starbucks, what is the shortest possible route that visits each Starbucks and returns to the origin Starbucks?[1]
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 15, 2019, 03:15:43 AM
Given a list of Starbucks and the distances between each Starbucks, what is the shortest possible route that visits each Starbucks and returns to the origin Starbucks?[1]

Easy. Whichever way gets me the most routes to clinch. :awesomeface:

KEVIN_224

The only field trips I remember from 5th grade: Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA (Exit 2 from MA I-84) and Boston. That was my first visit to any major American city. It was Thursday, June 3, 1982. I went to the Children's Museum on the Fort Point Channel and then to the New England Aquarium. High school was limited to two meager visits to Avery Point in Groton, CT (for a science class). The trips were from New Britain and Berlin, CT, respectively.

(Despite the closeness, I didn't enter New York City proper until Friday, August 25, 1989, aged 18 years, 6 months and a day.)

thspfc

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM

There's also a button copy BGS at mile marker 26.6, FYI

Scott5114

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM

And they said it was NP-hard!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

frankenroad

Our senior class went to Williamsburg and Washington DC, from Cincinnati.  On the way back, one of our buses broke down in (of course) Breezewood.   We spent several hours in a truck stop in the middle of the night waiting for it to be repaired (or replaced, I don't remember).  Instead of sending the working buses on......all of us waited.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

roadman

Given a list of Dunkin's and the distances between each Dunkin's, what is the shortest possible route that visits each Dunkin's and returns to the origin Dunkin's?

Fixed it for you.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

I was thinking of posting the video where Hitler was trying to visit every KFC in Germany to try their double-down sandwich and started ranting about NP-hard problems because the route wasn't determined yet, but YouTube appears to have removed it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tolbs17

These are the pictures at the field trip we had today!!

Horse ride

Sizzler

Zero Gravity! - I went on it! I was very DIZZY!!! And I was afraid at first, but I got brave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5RlOAP_nxQ

The mall was boring and nothing really inside, so I don't have any pictures of it. Sorry!

english si

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 19, 2019, 08:18:38 PMZero Gravity! - I went on it! I was very DIZZY!!! And I was afraid at first, but I got brave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5RlOAP_nxQ
You can only be brave when you are scared!

Every year (for 819 years now), my town has a two-day fair. For some years there were two of these exact rides. 19 years ago to the day (fair's always the same two days - and oddly they didn't do much for the 800th anniversary of the town charter!), when I was 14, I went on the biggest one - which was about 40ft in diameter (the middle was about 25ft above ground - you could see almost half over the rooftops when it was up. Held about 50 people with about 2'6" width per person) and spun near vertical. They got rid of it, as it was too big for the location - plus I imagine the owner of the smaller one was annoyed at the presence of the bigger one stealing his customers, and won the fight...

In Physics that afternoon we had been told that centrifugal force doesn't exist and rather its centripetal force pulling you in, with the lesson ending before we could deal with the balance between forward momentum trying to take you in a straight line (and so outward) and centripetal force pulling you in so you made a circle. I was probably about 75lbs when I rode this thing and so, not having much momentum, I kept falling towards the middle by a couple of inches every time I went over the top (though the puny chain nominally there for safety did inspire confidence - not that it would do anything, but because it was so crap it was clear I shouldn't actually fall) - so I was pushing myself out to counter being "pulled in" (gravity did do some pulling down, I guess). I don't like heights. Once I'd worked out the physics, I stopped pushing myself back into the wall - I kept my hands ready to do it just in case, but the last 5 or 6 turns were relatively fun. While far from the least pleasant ride experience I've done, it was the most worried I'd been for my safety I'd been on a ride.

I much preferred the different horizontal spinner where the floor dropped away as it was going much faster and I was definitely stuck to the wall. That and the thing with seats and shoulder bars that spun you round in several dimensions - seeing chimney pots 15ft away, but at that height, and upside down, was a bit interesting (for some reason they hold the fair along the High Street, where people live, rather than in a park or field).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.