News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeauxLSU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2017, 01:34:13 PM
People who love the new San Diego Chargers logo.

There is no "San Diego Chargers" anymore.
I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: GeauxLSU on January 29, 2017, 05:46:28 PM

I think he meant People who Love This:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

"H.B. thinks building I-73 between Martinsville and Roanoke is a good idea"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 29, 2017, 06:29:01 PM

I don't think he was getting that "San Diego" was thrown in there as a pun after video I posted in another thread with the fans booing new logo at the Staples Center.  I haven't seen such a negative backlash to a move since the Colts left Baltimore.

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 29, 2017, 06:29:01 PM

I don't think he was getting that "San Diego" was thrown in there as a pun after video I posted in another thread with the fans booing new logo at the Staples Center.  I haven't seen such a negative backlash to a move since the Colts left Baltimore.
How quickly we forget the most controversial move in all of pro sports, when the Browns left Cleveland and became the Ravens, playing in the Colts' old city!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
How quickly we forget the most controversial move in all of pro sports, when the Browns left Cleveland and became the Ravens, playing in the Colts' old city!

Arguably, that lands in #3, after the NY Giants' move to San Francisco (because of West Coast expansion) and Irsay using moving vans to move the Colts (because...moving vans). But I feel the Cleveland-Baltimore move of 1995 was one of the saddest ones; due to the immediate mid-season announcement, followed by the decay of player (not personal) morale, sponsors pulling out, and once-rabid fans not willing to show up.

I wonder if something crazier or stranger to a moving sports team has happened outside America. One or two racing teams have done some bizarre things, but that's for another forum*...besides, moving around is naturally part of the sport.

* In the spirit of this very non-thread thread...Andrea Moda Formula Fans.

jeffandnicole

When the Browns received a team to replace the old Browns' move to B'more, who know that the replacement team would be no better, and often worse, than the old team!

Max Rockatansky

I'd say the Colts leaving Baltimore was much more impacting than the Browns.  The Colts basically just shipped up and left in the middle of the night.  My grand father was a huge Baltimore Colts fan and was absolutely crushed when that happened, he wouldn't even root for the Ravens because in his eyes it just wasn't the same.  Cleveland got their team back eventually which really mitigates what happened when the original Browns became the Ravens. 

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2017, 10:19:02 AM
Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2017, 10:04:54 AM

Arguably, that lands in #3, after the NY Giants' move to San Francisco (because of West Coast expansion) and Irsay using moving vans to move the Colts (because...moving vans). But I feel the Cleveland-Baltimore move of 1995 was one of the saddest ones; due to the immediate mid-season announcement, followed by the decay of player (not personal) morale, sponsors pulling out, and once-rabid fans not willing to show up.

Oh they showed up -- with toolboxes and hacksaw at the final home game...They were taking out rows of bleacher and wooden seats, pieces of the turf and anything else.  I will say that announcing a move while still in-season is a little more of a slap in the face than doing an overnight secret move in the off-season.  Seeing a stadium full of blank advertising and no commercial breaks on the Browns radio broadcasts.  That was very surreal.

formulanone

Quote from: thenetwork on January 30, 2017, 07:02:10 PM
Oh they showed up -- with toolboxes and hacksaw at the final home game...

That might also explain the end-of-season win! I remember ESPN showing the fans hauling away anything and everything.

I have to hand it to their fans; it takes a certain amount of solidarity to intentionally not show up to most of the games...I think even the last home game wasn't a sell-out (could be wrong about this).

noelbotevera

Big John

freebrickproductions

How to build a bomb in 5 easy steps! (Typing this has probably landed me on some terrorist watch list, lol!)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

slorydn1

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 30, 2017, 10:26:56 PM
How to build a bomb in 5 easy steps! (Typing this has probably landed me on some terrorist watch list, lol!)

You see that black sedan parked across the street?....
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 31, 2017, 07:36:13 AM

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kkt

Have fun driving on your transatlantic trips :)

thenetwork

When they had "family" spats in Youngstown, OH in the 60s & 70s, many of those vehicles had what was called "Youngstown Tune-Ups" :

Crime has been a lingering problem in many of the Rust Belt's big and small urban communities, hampering economic recovery.[80] In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Youngstown was nationally identified with gangland slayings that were often committed with car bombs.[81] The town gained the nicknames "Murdertown, USA" and "Bomb City, USA," while the phrase "Youngstown tune-up" became a nationally popular slang term for car-bomb assassination.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on January 31, 2017, 07:43:25 PM

When they had "family" spats in Youngstown, OH in the 60s & 70s, many of those vehicles had what was called "Youngstown Tune-Ups" :

Crime has been a lingering problem in many of the Rust Belt's big and small urban communities, hampering economic recovery.[80] In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Youngstown was nationally identified with gangland slayings that were often committed with car bombs.[81] The town gained the nicknames "Murdertown, USA" and "Bomb City, USA," while the phrase "Youngstown tune-up" became a nationally popular slang term for car-bomb assassination.

The worst act of Terrorism (domestic or otherwise) prior to Oklahoma City was in Bath, Michigan and involved a car bomb in addition to a school being rigged up for months to explode.  It is actually right down the street from where I went to High School, I'm amazed at how much it really is a forgotten and quite frankly f$@#ed up piece of American history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster#Truck_explosion

hotdogPi

Trump vetoes Patriots' Super Bowl win
Boston's Hypotenuse
AARoads down for maintenance; thread will be deleted when fixed
Texas's I-69 situation shown in Polandball comic
What is the prime factorization of your credit card number?
I-78 extended through Trump Tower
Poll: Which is worse: Detroit MI or New Rome OH?
The 1-2-3 Interstate shield challenge!
"IH-201" designated in Texas
Have you ever put gum on a sign to make it stick to a signpost?
Best McDonald's locations?
FTL high-speed rail technology discovered
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on January 31, 2017, 08:00:30 PM
Trump vetoes Patriots' Super Bowl win
I wouldn't put it past him... (sorry mods, I won't go any further)

I so want to see this.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MNHighwayMan

This forum was one of the last places I ever expected to see a Polandball reference.

And yet here I am.

(Also going to second the "wanting to see it" notion.)

CNGL-Leudimin

Poll: Which is uglier: <insert ugliest village in your state here> or the back of a fridge? (I actually did this once on Twitter!)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LM117

Have you ever put gum on a sign to make it stick to a signpost?

Considering the other gum-related threads that have popped up, I'm almost certain that we'll be seeing this thread happen sooner or later.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.