News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: DrSmith on January 23, 2021, 09:56:18 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on January 23, 2021, 09:02:59 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on January 23, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
It seems to me as a matter of principle that the express type lanes should be to the left and staffed lanes to the right. I don't understand why some toll agencies would do the reverse.
It makes some sense for entrance and exit ramp tolls (and bridges) that have multiple approaches to the toll plaza or destinations after it. Not so much for mainline tolls.

Way back the Parkway had signs (may still have them) with different signals for types of lanes. It was probably mostly missed as lanes end and everyone is still barreling into the plaza and slaloming to what looks like the shortest lane

Also when ez-pass is a lane option as a lane through a toll booth, it isn't the same as an express. Some of those places have gates to make you slow down to 5 or 10 mph still. Additionally, trucks prefer to go to the right so they are not trying to accelerate slowly in the middle of all the traffic. That might be another consideration that was made about where to locate them.

On the Turnpike, at the old Interchange 1, the ez-pass lanes were in the middle because those were useless lanes. The booths were built for two collectors on one island. In the larger plazas like Interchange 1, that meant you one person for the drivers side on one lane and and another for the passenger side of the next lane. So those lanes weren't very convenient or usable and generally operated for ez-pass. For the southbound side particularly, those happened to be much more towards the left as the was an addition to the right made later (after the original plaza was built) with 5 additional lanes with a single collector on each island servicing the driver side.

I always thought that the Highway Authority did that to try to minimize weaving for traffic approaching the plazas. Someone realizing they wanted the coin basket lane and not swerving across many lanes of traffic. I have seen people literally make a 90 degree turn and drive perpendicular to traffic at plazas in other places because they were not in the lanes they wanted.

roadman65

I see by GSV that the 145 ramp plaza gone has been captured since.  The 148 plazas though GSV has not yet posted the changed or the infamous Google car never made it there yet.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

In your opinion, what is the best scenery on the Garden State Parkway?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

famartin

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 05:46:53 PM

The Parkway has some decent views of the marshes along the coast in Cape May County. Also, you get a decent "view"  heading south on the Driscoll Bridge, though not exactly anything special. Otherwise, it's mostly urban highway in Essex County and Pine Barrens in southern Ocean/Atlantic Counties, with a lot of suburbs thinly veiled by trees elsewhere.

Alps

Can't point to any anymore. I liked the original 2-lane stretches pre-widening and pre-tree clearing.

roadman65

Night views of the seaside towns are the best near New Gretna or Great Egg Harbor Bridge

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Roadgeekteen

webny99

odditude

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2021, 08:54:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2021, 06:47:50 PM

https://maps.app.goo.gl/M7JS71Z3dWtGMk4R9
Not exactly what I'd call scenic but cool.

You missed the joke.
What was the joke?

this shot is the Turnpike from the Parkway. his response on the Turnpike thread was the Parkway from the Turnpike.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on May 04, 2021, 10:18:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2021, 08:54:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2021, 06:47:50 PM

https://maps.app.goo.gl/M7JS71Z3dWtGMk4R9
Not exactly what I'd call scenic but cool.

You missed the joke.
What was the joke?

this shot is the Turnpike from the Parkway. his response on the Turnpike thread was the Parkway from the Turnpike.

Thank you.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/vrgz7se3rYPajEPg6

Why is there this sign on the retaining wall in Bloomfield?

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4131921,-74.5532937,3a,90y,28.24h,93.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQw9szmxINCbMYC4dScD-6w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Why the hell does New Jersey like Camden so much? It's across from Philadelphia, which has many times more people.

Roadgeek Adam

Camden is the 12th biggest municipality in New Jersey. It is the biggest city in population along the AC Expressway or roads that connect (42). NJTPA has no requirement to say Philadelphia when it doesn't directly go into Philadelphia? They aren't going to put WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP on a sign.

Also, your second statement is absurd. You are judging the city by the looks and not by the people. People in poorer urban cities are nicer people than any rich snobby suburb. I'd happily go to Camden whenever.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:10:59 PM
Camden is the 12th biggest municipality in New Jersey. It is the biggest city in population along the AC Expressway or roads that connect (42). NJTPA has no requirement to say Philadelphia when it doesn't directly go into Philadelphia? They aren't going to put WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP on a sign.

Also, your second statement is absurd. You are judging the city by the looks and not by the people. People in poorer urban cities are nicer people than any rich snobby suburb. I'd happily go to Camden whenever.
Camden is the 12th largest city in New Jersey. Philadelphia is the 6th most populous city in the US and is right across the river. I wouldn't sign a snobby rich suburb either, but a big city.

Roadgeek Adam

You've done a wonderful job missing my point on your second statement and the passive racism its comes across as.

Ask the general driver who cares if it's signed Camden, Washington Twp, Bellmawr, Deptford? It's utterly meaningless. If the NJTPA wanted they could've put up Pomona or Galloway or something too since its the next place over. How many people are driving to exit 38 from the north (and some to the south) and then go to Philadelphia?
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:38:10 PM
You've done a wonderful job missing my point on your second statement and the passive racism its comes across as.

Ask the general driver who cares if it's signed Camden, Washington Twp, Bellmawr, Deptford? It's utterly meaningless. If the NJTPA wanted they could've put up Pomona or Galloway or something too since its the next place over. How many people are driving to exit 38 from the north (and some to the south) and then go to Philadelphia?
How many people are going to Camden? I don't really care about the racial makeup and I have nothing against the people of Camden. In fact, Philadelphia has some rough areas too. But Camden is just a suburb of Philadelphia and signing it would be like signing Newton on I-90 east or Yonkers on I-87 south.

Roadgeek Adam

But your first statement "who goes to Camden" is purely coming off as "people don't go there because it's a bad place". Every place has something to provide, no matter the racial, religious or economical makeup of it.

My opinion about your passive racism aside. Why does it matter? It's 2021, we've got GPSes and maps that can tell you exactly where to go to get to Philadelphia if you are so inclined to use exit 38 from either direction. How many general drivers give a damn about the municipalities or communities written as "control cities"? NJTPA isn't required to post anything, and they go with a Jersey one.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:48:03 PM
But your first statement "who goes to Camden" is purely coming off as "people don't go there because it's a bad place". Every place has something to provide, no matter the racial, religious or economical makeup of it.

My opinion about your passive racism aside. Why does it matter? It's 2021, we've got GPSes and maps that can tell you exactly where to go to get to Philadelphia if you are so inclined to use exit 38 from either direction. How many general drivers give a damn about the municipalities or communities written as "control cities"? NJTPA isn't required to post anything, and they go with a Jersey one.
Control Cities are just helpful, it's true that many drivers don't care, but some consistency about what should be posted would be nice. I was also being facetious with my Camden comment, I would say it about any suburb no matter the racial makeup.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 05, 2021, 01:50:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:48:03 PM

Control Cities are just helpful, it's true that many drivers don't care, but some consistency about what should be posted would be nice. I was also being facetious with my Camden comment, I would say it about any suburb no matter the racial makeup.

They are being consistent. You just don't like what they are using.

Roadgeek Adam

Facetious my foot, I just noticed you called Camden a dump on the Turnpike thread! It's clearly obvious what you think.

But again, why does there need to be consistency? If you want to make a better argument "AC EXPRESSWAY EAST: CAMDEN : PHILADELPHIA" goes a hell of a lot further than outright trashing the city of Camden and demanding baloney consistency.
Adam Seth Moss

famartin

Camden is appropriate on the Turnpike southbound from Exit 6 to Exit 3. Otherwise it shouldn't be used - Philly supersedes it. NJ has some weird control cities that shouldn't really be used... Mahwah on 287, Del Water Gap on 80, Kearny on 280. It also resists signing cities out of state... other than on the Turnpike at Exit 6, "Wilmington"  seems to be completely absent. It's a very Jersey-centric policy. NJDOT really should completely review its choices of control cities, imho. Not all need to change, probably not a majority, but some definitely do. But in the age of GPS, this probably doesn't matter much.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2021, 01:54:33 PM
Facetious my foot, I just noticed you called Camden a dump on the Turnpike thread! It's clearly obvious what you think.

But again, why does there need to be consistency? If you want to make a better argument "AC EXPRESSWAY EAST: CAMDEN : PHILADELPHIA" goes a hell of a lot further than outright trashing the city of Camden and demanding baloney consistency.
Dump was perhaps the wrong word to use. Camden is losing population, however, and the control city formula used on the other thread would favor Philly. But it looks like New Jersey wants to sign Camden and they can do it if they want to.

Quote from: famartin on May 05, 2021, 01:56:55 PM
Camden is appropriate on the Turnpike southbound from Exit 6 to Exit 3. Otherwise it shouldn't be used - Philly supersedes it. NJ has some weird control cities that shouldn't really be used... Mahwah on 287, Del Water Gap on 80, Kearny on 280. It also resists signing cities out of state... other than on the Turnpike at Exit 6, "Wilmington"  seems to be completely absent. It's a very Jersey-centric policy. NJDOT really should completely review its choices of control cities, imho. Not all need to change, probably not a majority, but some definitely do. But in the age of GPS, this probably doesn't matter much.
That is a much better way to say what I was trying to say. I was probably just being a little too harsh on Camden so my point was lost.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.