News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 19, 2016, 12:09:22 PM
I thought the lighting was only in the Seneca Nation territory? I wasn't aware it had expanded outward.

There aren't any exits inside Seneca territory. There's an exit immediately to the west and a service area a short distance to the east, but nothing inside. Most exits in the toll section of Buffalo's maintenance territory have had lights for years. 48 and 48A were some of the first to get them.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

seicer

Thanks - that answers that. I never noticed the lights outside of those few western exits, but it doesn't resolve the issue of every sign being improperly constructed. I can't read the mile markers or practically any guide sign at night.

Buffaboy

That light wasn't on 57 a week and a half ago.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

machias

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 19, 2016, 01:34:05 PM
Thanks - that answers that. I never noticed the lights outside of those few western exits, but it doesn't resolve the issue of every sign being improperly constructed. I can't read the mile markers or practically any guide sign at night.

I think the guide panel at the beginning of Exit 32's WB ramp was one of the first on the Thruway to get a supplemental light. There are several lights in the Syracuse area as well. Both of these locations have had lights for at least 2-3 years.

I wonder if these are from the contractor trying to get out of a warranty replacement on signs due to failing reflectivity or something.

roadman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2016, 05:51:43 PM
I think the guide panel at the beginning of Exit 32's WB ramp was one of the first on the Thruway to get a supplemental light. There are several lights in the Syracuse area as well. Both of these locations have had lights for at least 2-3 years.

I wonder if these are from the contractor trying to get out of a warranty replacement on signs due to failing reflectivity or something.

I find it hard to imagine that installing lighting for guide signs would be both more efficient and less expensive than re-sheeting newly installed panels that have been determined to not have acceptable retroreflectivity while a contract is still active, even if the contractor determined (and could reasonably prove) that the failure was due to poorly manufactured sheeting.  I also find it hard to imagine that the Thruway would accept such a resolution to the problem from a contractor, unless the problem arose due to an issue with the Thruway's own contract specifications.  I seem to recall that there an issue with the Thruway calling for sign backgrounds having higher intensity sheeting than the sign legends, which is the exact opposite of FHWA requirements for overhead signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Quote from: roadman on September 19, 2016, 08:00:29 PM

I find it hard to imagine that installing lighting for guide signs would be both more efficient and less expensive than re-sheeting newly installed panels that have been determined to not have acceptable retroreflectivity while a contract is still active, even if the contractor determined (and could reasonably prove) that the failure was due to poorly manufactured sheeting.  I also find it hard to imagine that the Thruway would accept such a resolution to the problem from a contractor, unless the problem arose due to an issue with the Thruway's own contract specifications.  I seem to recall that there an issue with the Thruway calling for sign backgrounds having higher intensity sheeting than the sign legends, which is the exact opposite of FHWA requirements for overhead signs.

The thing is that many (if not all) of the signs they are installing lighting for are pre-Clearview, which likely means they are over 10 years old.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

machias

Quote from: roadman on September 19, 2016, 08:00:29 PM

Oh I fully believe that the Thruway Authority is specifying the reflectivity of backgrounds and the legend backwards, many of the Clearview signs (especially along the mainline in Buffalo) and even the latest FHWA signs I've seen installed in the past month or two suffer from this. Clearview exacerbated the issue.

I am surprised at the amount of setup involved with these lights being installed. There's usually a pretty good sized solar panel, the cabling, the control box, etc. All pretty impressive but curious nonetheless.

roadman

Quote from: cl94 on September 19, 2016, 09:20:37 PM
The thing is that many (if not all) of the signs they are installing lighting for are pre-Clearview, which likely means they are over 10 years old.
If they are over ten years old, they've exceeded the sheeting manufacturer's warranty anyway.  And unless the original sign contractor used Engineer or Super Engineer Grade sheeting for the panels, the signs should still have adequate retroreflectivity for many more years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 19, 2016, 09:25:10 PM
I am surprised at the amount of setup involved with these lights being installed. There's usually a pretty good sized solar panel, the cabling, the control box, etc. All pretty impressive but curious nonetheless.

Sounds like the Thruway decided that using commercial power for these lights was either impossible or impractical at the sign locations.  And the "control box" actually houses the backup batteries for the installation.  Still, it's way more expensive than just re-sheeting the signs in question.

route17fan

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 19, 2016, 02:22:47 PM
That light wasn't on 57 a week and a half ago.

Oops! My sincere apologies - I meant 58 at Silver Creek/Irving. Very sorry about that to one and all.  :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

machias

Quote from: roadman on September 20, 2016, 09:11:22 AM

Sounds like the Thruway decided that using commercial power for these lights was either impossible or impractical at the sign locations.  And the "control box" actually houses the backup batteries for the installation.  Still, it's way more expensive than just re-sheeting the signs in question.

I'm curious as to the criteria required to light these signs.  The 1 mile advance interchange westbound sign for Exit 38 is old enough that the CR 57 marker replaced the original NY Route 57 marker when the route was decommissioned. The CR 57 marker has been replaced yet again (it's the third marker on that sign). The tab is centered. I believe the sign is designed to the same specs as the overhead signs on the mainline in Buffalo before the Clearview replacement. Looking closely at that sign, it is cracked and peeling. Yet, as of the State Fair, the sign is not lit up with a solar light. 

kalvado

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 20, 2016, 10:17:25 PM

I'm curious as to the criteria required to light these signs.  The 1 mile advance interchange westbound sign for Exit 38 is old enough that the CR 57 marker replaced the original NY Route 57 marker when the route was decommissioned. The CR 57 marker has been replaced yet again (it's the third marker on that sign). The tab is centered. I believe the sign is designed to the same specs as the overhead signs on the mainline in Buffalo before the Clearview replacement. Looking closely at that sign, it is cracked and peeling. Yet, as of the State Fair, the sign is not lit up with a solar light.
I wouldn't be surprised if accident statistics is used. People complaining about missed exits (think someone out of area, likely not having EZpass, complaining to toll collector) is probably another input.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on September 20, 2016, 10:17:25 PM

Heck, there are still a bunch of those signs in Buffalo both overhead and ground-mounted and none were lit the last time I was over there.

kalvado

Does anyone know how to contact EZpass customer service, and if it became any better over the past decade?
My past experience was extremely negative, but I still naively hope for the best...

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on October 01, 2016, 11:59:09 PM
Does anyone know how to contact EZpass customer service, and if it became any better over the past decade?
My past experience was extremely negative, but I still naively hope for the best...

Log onto your account on the website and there will be a link under "ask us". Good luck, because I expect you will need it.

Buffaboy

What's wrong with their customer service and why would you need to get in touch with them?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

kalvado

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 02, 2016, 07:47:09 PM
What's wrong with their customer service and why would you need to get in touch with them?
Why: I got quite a bit of an overcharge because of their equipment malfunction. It is not amount which will send me to bankruptcy, but a insult significant enough for me to complain. 
Whats wrong: customer service don't care. Last time I had similar situation about 10 years ago,  it almost looked like customer service folks are rated by amount of money they didn't have to give out or could collect. After all, its not like shunpiking Thruway is a reasonable option, so customer is not going anywhere - why bother?

route17fan

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/netdata/contractors/documents/d214448_tas16-31_plans-volume-1-of-1.pdf  -  look at page 59, the I-90 shields have "interchange" where "interstate" should be.  I think too small to notice, but do you think there is a possibility of "interchange" shields in the near future? (grins)

machias

Quote from: route17fan on October 11, 2016, 08:31:29 PM
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/netdata/contractors/documents/d214448_tas16-31_plans-volume-1-of-1.pdf  -  look at page 59, the I-90 shields have "interchange" where "interstate" should be.  I think too small to notice, but do you think there is a possibility of "interchange" shields in the near future? (grins)

I have to ask how it's even possible to get DOT CAD software (GuidSIGN, SignCAD, whatever) to make interstate shields with the word "Interchange" on them. How is this possible?

route17fan

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 11, 2016, 08:57:54 PM
Quote from: route17fan on October 11, 2016, 08:31:29 PM

I have to ask how it's even possible to get DOT CAD software (GuidSIGN, SignCAD, whatever) to make interstate shields with the word "Interchange" on them. How is this possible?

My thoughts as well.  :confused:

PHLBOS

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 11, 2016, 08:57:54 PMI have to ask how it's even possible to get DOT CAD software (GuidSIGN, SignCAD, whatever) to make interstate shields with the word "Interchange" on them. How is this possible?
If the above is similar to how AutoCAD works and those shields are blocks.  All it takes to change something on that shield would be to use the "Block Editor" command and redefine the block when completed.

Why such a change was made is beyond me.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

machias

Saw a white on brown secondary destination sign on the Thruway for the first time.

Green Lakes State Park
EXIT 34A

All FHWA lettering and it appears the slightly modified Series D all caps lettering is back.

Up until now I can't recall a white on brown sign of this nature
On the Thruway.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 12, 2016, 05:41:28 PM
Saw a white on brown secondary destination sign on the Thruway for the first time.

Green Lakes State Park
EXIT 34A

All FHWA lettering and it appears the slightly modified Series D all caps lettering is back.

Up until now I can't recall a white on brown sign of this nature
On the Thruway.

A white on brown was put up south of Exit 23 for Five Rivers around the same time as the Cuomo signs. Of course, I don't think there are any directional signs after the toll booths until you're on NY 443, so good luck getting there from the Thruway if you don't know where it is.

Buffaboy

I also found a white on brown yesterday at I-90 WB @ Broadway for "Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve."

I have lived in the area for over 20 years and had never heard of this place until yesterday.

machias

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 17, 2016, 11:24:21 AM
I also found a white on brown yesterday at I-90 WB @ Broadway for "Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve."

I have lived in the area for over 20 years and had never heard of this place until yesterday.

Spotted another white on brown sign that seems to be put up in tandem with the adjacent Cuomo signs.

Montezuma Natl
Wildlife Refuge
EXIT 41

What's odd about this sign, and the Green Lakes signs at Exit 34A, is that they come before the advance interchange "1 mile" sign for the same exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.