News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on May 16, 2021, 09:58:45 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 16, 2021, 12:47:46 PM
Just out of curiosity:  With electronic tolling replacing all of the tollbooths & barriers along the Thruway, has the Thruway Authority ever considered bringing back tolls via high-speed gantries to the I-190 stretch through Downtown Buffalo, or is there some agreement or law that will never allow that stretch to be tolled again?   And could they ever install gantry tolling along the current free section of I-90 on the mainline in Buffalo?
I doubt it.  The objections that resulted in those tolls being removed in return for I-84 going back to NYSDOT was over having to pay a toll to go downtown, not over traffic congestion.
I believe booth congestion was still the main point, redirected money flow just added insult to injury.
If "tolled commute" would be the issue, 23-24-25 could also be brought up. However I know a few people in Schenectady who pay for commuter plan instead

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on May 16, 2021, 10:31:09 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2021, 10:30:27 PM
It sure does support 75 mph and more.. I think he meant why isn't the limit 75 mph.

Yeah

Oh, yeah, that would depend on state law, and roads anywhere are routinely designed for higher speeds than the legal limit would allow. So the answer would be the same as why NYS hasn't adopted a 75 mph limit anywhere, Thruway or otherwise, and whatever that answer is, it's of course typical of most states, particularly those in the Northeast.

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on May 17, 2021, 09:13:27 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on May 16, 2021, 10:31:09 PM
It sure does support 75 mph and more.. I think he meant why isn't the limit 75 mph.

Yeah

Oh, yeah, that would depend on state law, and roads anywhere are routinely designed for higher speeds than the legal limit would allow. So the answer would be the same as why NYS hasn't adopted a 75 mph limit anywhere, Thruway or otherwise, and whatever that answer is, it's of course typical of most states, particularly those in the Northeast.

At least it's 10 mph higher than the LIE, which remains 55 still in Nassau and Suffolk where 65 should be. At least in the latter county anyway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2021, 10:43:40 PM
I'd say mostly just because NY is stubborn about raising their speed limits in general.

FTFY...

webny99

Well, yes, that goes without saying...  :D

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on May 16, 2021, 08:12:40 PM
Exit 30 (Herkimer) toll booths were removed in the past week.

Update as of this evening...

29A (Little Falls) - Booths are gone
30 (Herkimer) - Booths are gone, just paved in the last few days where the booths used to stand
31 (Utica) - Booths were removed overnight last night
32 (Westmoreland) - NEXT...

machias

Because New York Legislature can't thinking outside the box and because the LIE has to have a low speed limit, so doesn't the Thruway over 500 miles away.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: machias on May 19, 2021, 11:51:05 PM

Because New York Legislature can't thinking outside the box and because the LIE has to have a low speed limit, so doesn't the Thruway over 500 miles away.
The LIE doesn't have to have a low speed limit.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Jim

It would be nice if the Thruway could complete the work at 24 with a complete repaving and better signs.  The toll booths have been gone for many months, and the weather's been decent for quite a while now.

The issue with the pavement quality led to recent a lane-wide pothole near where the old toll booths were.  Coming through a couple weeks ago probably at 50 or 60 MPH in heaving morning rush traffic, it was too late to do anything but slow down just a bit by the time I saw it.  I hit it hard, and the damages are 2 wheel bearings, 2 tires, repairs to both front rims, one of which was visibly bent, and an alignment.  Amazingly, no flat tires.  I completely expected I'd be pulling over and calling for help before I got to work.

By the next morning, the pothole was replaced by a large patch.  I can't be the only one who is ending up with a big repair bill because of this.

So let's get this done right already.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

dkblake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2021, 11:52:03 PM
Quote from: machias on May 19, 2021, 11:51:05 PM

The LIE doesn't have to have a low speed limit.

But however will motorists navigate a 3-lane-plus-wide, flat, straight highway except at a maximum of 55 mph?
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Roadgeekteen

I wonder how they will renumber the Thruway exits once they are converted to mileage. Will they use dedicated numbers for the Thruway or will they use I-87 and I-90 numbers?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Sam

Three new VMS'es were installed this week at the entrance to the Thruway at Exit 42. I don't know if it was a NYSTA project or NYSDOT. (One sign is on the old tandem lot entrance, but two are well off Thruway property.) I don't see any news or contract info on the Thruway web site. I imagine they could be to inform motorists of a Thruway closure, now that the toll collectors are gone. Are these going up anywhere else?

DJ Particle

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2021, 06:18:25 PM
I wonder how they will renumber the Thruway exits once they are converted to mileage. Will they use dedicated numbers for the Thruway or will they use I-87 and I-90 numbers?

I would say that since the Thruway (and its extensions) has its own mileposts, they will use those.  Seems logical.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: DJ Particle on May 21, 2021, 12:01:02 AM

I would say that since the Thruway (and its extensions) has its own mileposts, they will use those.  Seems logical.
I guess. Wonder what the MUTCD thinks.

webny99

I've mentioned several times on here that the ramp from I-490 EB to the Thruway EB was going to be an issue when the nice weather hit. Well, now the nice weather is here, and wouldn't you know it.. it's already an issue. There's just no way around the fact that that ramp really needs to be widened.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 12:07:15 AM

The MUTCD is just a bunch of words and pictures in a book or a PDF, so I doubt it's going to say much at all.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: storm2k on May 21, 2021, 10:43:43 PM

The MUTCD is just a bunch of words and pictures in a book or a PDF, so I doubt it's going to say much at all.
I mean the FWA.

baugh17

Quote from: Sam on May 20, 2021, 11:44:32 PM
Three new VMS'es were installed this week at the entrance to the Thruway at Exit 42. I don't know if it was a NYSTA project or NYSDOT. (One sign is on the old tandem lot entrance, but two are well off Thruway property.) I don't see any news or contract info on the Thruway web site. I imagine they could be to inform motorists of a Thruway closure, now that the toll collectors are gone. Are these going up anywhere else?

Thruway project.  Message boards were erected in the Utica area about a year ago but I have not seen them utilized.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2021, 11:06:03 PM

I mean the FWA.
Who? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SignBridge

I mean the FWA.

The MUTCD will say what it has always said. That all controlled-access highways are to be numbered from south-to-north and west-to-east using the mileage based numbering system beginning at the southern or westernmost point on that numbered route within the particular state. It further specifies the specific numbering set-up for spur-routes and circular-routes. It makes no exceptions for the toll-roads that were built and numbered before the Interstate Highway System originated. End of story.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it in all cases, but that is what it says.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SignBridge on May 22, 2021, 08:18:26 PM

I mean the FWA.

The MUTCD will say what it has always said. That all controlled-access highways are to be numbered from south-to-north and west-to-east using the mileage based numbering system beginning at the southern or westernmost point on that numbered route within the particular state. It further specifies the specific numbering set-up for spur-routes and circular-routes. It makes no exceptions for the toll-roads that were built and numbered before the Interstate Highway System originated. End of story.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it in all cases, but that is what it says.
Does the Thrwuway take precedent over the interstates in New York?

odditude

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2021, 10:51:18 PM

I mean the FWA.

Quote from: SignBridgeIt makes no exceptions for the toll-roads that were built and numbered before the Interstate Highway System originated. End of story.

machias

I mean the FWA.

There is nothing special about the Thruway. It shouldn't be treated as a destination or control city on guide signs on approaches and it no longer has the need to stick to its original interchange numbering to keep toll tickets "easy to understand" . Like the ISTHA in Illinois, they can number the interchanges internally with their own numbering system all they want. They already have names (like the Penna Turnpike, albeit not shown on signs). I-87 should have one set of mileposts and one set of interchange numbers based on distance from the south end in New York to the Canadian Border. I-90 should have one set of mileposts and one set of interchange numbers based on the distance from the PA line to the Mass Line. Just like the MUTCD says. There's no reason for the Thruway authority to cling to its outdated interchange numbering system and for that matter it's weird hesitancy to post county line markers, which would be useful during significant weather events since the National Weather Service conveys watches and warning by county.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: machias on May 23, 2021, 02:23:19 PM

I mean the FWA.

There is nothing special about the Thruway. It shouldn't be treated as a destination or control city on guide signs on approaches and it no longer has the need to stick to its original interchange numbering to keep toll tickets "easy to understand" . Like the ISTHA in Illinois, they can number the interchanges internally with their own numbering system all they want. They already have names (like the Penna Turnpike, albeit not shown on signs). I-87 should have one set of mileposts and one set of interchange numbers based on distance from the south end in New York to the Canadian Border. I-90 should have one set of mileposts and one set of interchange numbers based on the distance from the PA line to the Mass Line. Just like the MUTCD says. There's no reason for the Thruway authority to cling to its outdated interchange numbering system and for that matter it's weird hesitancy to post county line markers, which would be useful during significant weather events since the National Weather Service conveys watches and warning by county.
It could be helpful for Buffalo and other upstate NY drivers to know the distance to NYC, but I get you.

webny99

Quote from: machias on May 23, 2021, 02:23:19 PMThere is nothing special about the Thruway. It shouldn't be treated as a destination or control city on guide signs on approaches and it no longer has the need to stick to its original interchange numbering to keep toll tickets "easy to understand" . Like the ISTHA in Illinois, they can number the interchanges internally with their own numbering system all they want. They already have names (like the Penna Turnpike, albeit not shown on signs).

The interchanges are normally named after one of the exit destinations, correct? I can't say I've ever seen a list of them, but I imagine most are self-explanatory enough that I (and most others here) could probably guess them correctly offhand.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2021, 02:54:13 PM
It could be helpful for Buffalo and other upstate NY drivers to know the distance to NYC, but I get you.

However, most people driving from Buffalo to NYC wouldn't use the Thruway. They'd use I-86 or I-81 to Binghamton and then either NY 17 or I-81/I-380/I-80 depending on where they're going in the NYC area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.