News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on December 06, 2022, 10:25:17 PM
The full proposal is up. 5 % increases for NY EZPasses in 2024 and 2027, out of state and toll by mail rates jump to 75% above NY EZpass rates. Tappan Zee tolls increase each year.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/adjustment/index.html

IIRC, there are not any significant interagency fees or markups  for out of state transponders, but interagency processing/settlements/disputes (initiated by users) in theory take up some time and $. But not enough to justify a huge differential. EZPass publishes derailed rules and standards for toll agencies if anyone is so inclined to read them, they provide some interesting operational details.

There isn't, as evidenced by the fact that for the first 15 years or so of E-ZPass existence, you paid the E-ZPass rate and that was that. This is just an easy way for agencies to collect more toll revenue without having to do a lot since the days of cash tolls are ending for pretty much every agency out there.

Jim

A few days ago, I noticed that "New York" lost its space here on the Thruway at Exit 24.  I grabbed a pretty poor quality picture with my iPad this morning.

I drive under those 4-5 times a week and just noticed it this week.  Has it been like this and I just hadn't noticed before?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Snappyjack

Yup. In fact, it's a whole new sign assembly.

Here's GSV from 5 months ago.. https://maps.app.goo.gl/6soek4oSiRb5BqVaA

storm2k

Quote from: Jim on December 19, 2022, 09:03:48 PM
A few days ago, I noticed that "New York" lost its space here on the Thruway at Exit 24.  I grabbed a pretty poor quality picture with my iPad this morning.

I drive under those 4-5 times a week and just noticed it this week.  Has it been like this and I just hadn't noticed before?

The spacing on the 87 and 90 shields on the lefthand sign feel a bit "off" as well. Feels like they should be spaced out a bit more. Also technically should be 90 East to 87 North but that's an argument for a different day.

kramie13

I-90 goes to Boston, yet the sign assembly directs Boston-bound drivers to take I-87 south?   :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

I'm guessing this is a ploy to get people to stay on the toll road and pay tolls?

MATraveler128

Quote from: kramie13 on December 21, 2022, 01:43:25 PM

I-90 goes to Boston, yet the sign assembly directs Boston-bound drivers to take I-87 south?   :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

I'm guessing this is a ploy to get people to stay on the toll road and pay tolls?

It's actually faster to use the Thruway down to the Berkshire Spur rather than staying on free 90 through Albany, which is partly why Boston is signed on I-87 south.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kalvado

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 21, 2022, 01:46:55 PM

It's actually faster to use the Thruway down to the Berkshire Spur rather than staying on free 90 through Albany, which is partly why Boston is signed on I-87 south.
Not faster per se, more like it depends on traffic and roadwork. Very close to break even with empty roads, and going around the city may be good from city perspective.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on December 21, 2022, 03:06:34 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 21, 2022, 01:46:55 PM

Not faster per se, more like it depends on traffic and roadwork. Very close to break even with empty roads, and going around the city may be good from city perspective.
The time has become closer with the removal of the toll booths.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GCEDW

On January 1st, the Ramapo and Warners service areas will close for construction, and the remaining McDonald's will be closed and be replaced with temporary dining options (primarily Applegreen C-stores): https://www.thruway.ny.gov/news/pressrel/2022/12/2022-12-21-service-area-changes.html

Mr. Matté

Where the heck are they going to fit in a playground at the Ramapo plaza?

D-Dey65

When the thruway was built in Ardsley, it divided the Valentine Everit Macy County Park. I'd like to see the two sections reunited again with a pedestrian bridge over the thruway. I would've opted for the possibility for a bridge under the thruway, but there's too much of a risk of flooding from the Saw Mill River.

James

Any guesses for when the Thruway will be open again?

I frequently take Exit 46 to Exit 47 for my commute to work so it'd be nice if they could at least reopen the Thruway piece by piece.

webny99

Quote from: James on December 26, 2022, 09:01:16 PM
Any guesses for when the Thruway will be open again?

I frequently take Exit 46 to Exit 47 for my commute to work so it'd be nice if they could at least reopen the Thruway piece by piece.

Per thruway.ny.gov, it looks like the Thruway has now reopened. Most major highways have reopened or will at some point today, except for I-190 which remains closed south of I-290.

storm2k

No more golden arches: Thruway McDonald's being replaced with other food options

Thruway McD's contract expired on December 31st. Applegreen now has the remaining service areas that McD's had and will be rebuilt like the other service areas.

Rothman

Quote from: storm2k on January 05, 2023, 08:44:44 PM
No more golden arches: Thruway McDonald's being replaced with other food options

Thruway McD's contract expired on December 31st. Applegreen now has the remaining service areas that McD's had and will be rebuilt like the other service areas.
Somebody is really late to the party with this one. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheDon102

D-Dey65

Quote from: TheDon102 on January 12, 2023, 08:37:12 PM
Replacement of the North Avenue Bridge over I-95 (New England Thruway) in New Rochelle starts this month.

Link - https://www.thruway.ny.gov/oursystem/north-ave-bridge/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0Bm226-5oiPVdOovK0d8BbLPhtM92KF6uS3bcLLKICd4dWT2l7SXGcIig
Another bridge they have to rebuild there is Centre Street... and not just over the New England Thruway.

Let me show you people the reason why:

cockroachking

The 3-ton posted bridge is the railroad crossing; the Thruway bridge itself appears to be just fine on a quick GSV inspection, other than the original guiderail.

D-Dey65

Quote from: cockroachking on January 18, 2023, 11:51:39 PM
The 3-ton posted bridge is the railroad crossing; the Thruway bridge itself appears to be just fine on a quick GSV inspection, other than the original guiderail.
Well, then the MTA should be the one to replace it, and hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the one over the Thruway.

cockroachking

After a quick check of the NYSDOT Westchester County Bridge Inventory, this would appear to be correct: MTA owns the railroad bridge (BIN 2262260), which is listed in poor condition, while the Thruway bridge (BIN 5514540) is not in poor condition.

Fun fact: The railroad bridge (BIN 2262260) was originally constructed in 1886, so the fact that is operation at all (albeit the 3 ton posted limit) impresses me.

D-Dey65

cockroachking

Well, whenever there is that much spalling, it is no surprise that is on the list of replacements, especially since spalling's visible effects would alarm the general public. It is also worth noting that to no one's surprise, it is listed in poor condition according to NYSDOT (BIN 5514550).

SignBridge

Thruway bridge was built circa 1958.

cockroachking

NYSDOT has both the North Ave and Centre St bridges as built in 1954.

SignBridge

Well I don't think NYSDOT even built those bridges. It would have been the Thruway Authority. But they may have been built between 1954-58. The New England Thruway opened circa 1958.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.