News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Triple Crown

Started by jeffandnicole, June 09, 2014, 04:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Maybe I can classify this under people that don't make sense...or are clueless...

So...California Chrome missed winning all 3 races in the Triple Crown. His owner was heatedly upset, saying that the horses should run all 3 races in order to race in any race, or once they drop out, then they're done.

This is hardly the first time a horse has one the first two races and loses the 3rd.  It happens fairly often, in fact.  But listening to casual fans (or not fans at all), they are totally surprised that some of the horses that ran in the Belmont didn't run in the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness.

So...20 horses ran in the Kentucky Derby.  10 ran in the Preakness.  11 ran in the Belmont.

To someone who just barely follows the Triple Crown, wouldn't it be some sort of indication that if there were 11 running this race, and 10 running the previous race, that at least ONE horse could not have run in the Preakness???  I mean, I don't follow horse racing all that much, and I couldn't really tell you all that much about any of these races, but I could see that little factoid clearly before the race began.  I'm sure CA Chrome's owner could see that as well.

To add to that, not once did I read anything stating this particular owner was upset prior to the race about horses racing this race that didn't race the other 2 races.  Nor did I read anything stating that he was upset that some horses ran in the Preakness (which he won) that didn't run in the Derby.

This year, I believe only 3 horses ran all 3 races.  It's impossible to know if any more or less would've run in the Preakness or Belmont if horses that didn't run the Derby weren't permitted to run those races.  But, going on the theory that only 3 would've run in the Belmont, it would've made for a fairly boring race, not to mention I'm pretty sure one could only bet on the Win (not the Place (2nd) or show (3rd)), no Exactas, no trifectas, definitely no superfectas, and if a horse that won the 1st two races would have such a huge odds of winning, the winning tickets would be something like 1 cent winnings per $1 bet.  Which, again, the same people that wanted this would be complaining about as well.

I know the owner apologized this morning for his rant, but his much more widely broadcasted earlier statements throws people into all sorts of anger...even though these people had so little knowledge about the sport that there was nothing unique about this year's races - in fact, horses only racing in 1 or 2 races occurred in every Triple Crown series.

Now...just to attach something road related to this: There were numerous complainers at the end of the race: The parking lots were jammed leaving the race.  People said it took hours to leave the parking lots.  It's not unlike any other large-scale sporting event.  People arrive throughout the day.  Little or no congestion.  Then you have 100,000 people leaving at one time.  While many complained about the lack of cops directing traffic, it wouldn't have done any good, and people would've gotten frustrated at the cops as if they could magically move traffic.  If the streets outside the park are jammed, no one is moving anywhere until congestion eases.  And often times, that area could be far down the road from the parking lot.

ET21

I never understood why we need a 6 hour pregame show for a 3-6 minute race.

Still, would have been nice to see history being made
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

And now, it's been 36 years since the last time the Triple Crown was awarded. (Of course, I was 8 back then.) It makes me wonder, will another horse ever win it again?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Yes, but it takes a special kind of horse.  Since we're dealing with 1 1/4, 1 1/4, & 1 1/2 mile tracks, a horse that is trained to run those 1 1/4 tracks will start to sputter out in that final 1/4 mile at the Belmont. 

A horse/jockey that's trained to run 1 1/2 miles will know how to pace themselves to remain strong at the end.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Yes, but it takes a special kind of horse.  Since we're dealing with 1 1/4, 1 1/4, & 1 1/2 mile tracks, a horse that is trained to run those 1 1/4 tracks will start to sputter out in that final 1/4 mile at the Belmont. 

A horse/jockey that's trained to run 1 1/2 miles will know how to pace themselves to remain strong at the end.

Basically, in a nutshell, or a horse, another Secretariat.  These horses who've run the Triple Crown recently would've been left way behind by him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

NWI_Irish96

Really old thread bump here, but an 80-1 longshot, who only got into the race because another horse scratched, won the Kentucky Derby. Superfecta paid over 300K-1
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 07, 2022, 09:40:06 PM
Really old thread bump here, but an 80-1 longshot, who only got into the race because another horse scratched, won the Kentucky Derby. Superfecta paid over 300K-1
what's the last time a last-minute horse won

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on May 08, 2022, 01:10:09 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 07, 2022, 09:40:06 PM
what's the last time a last-minute horse won

There's a very short window for a "last-minute" entry. Post positions are drawn on Wednesday afternoon. Betting opens Friday morning. Only if a horse scratches within that time frame can an alternate be added to the field. I don't know that this has ever happened.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.