News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Buc-ees outside of Texas.

Started by roadman65, June 07, 2019, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Everyone who's been to the new one in Kentucky reports the place is insanely crowded.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2022, 02:44:17 PM
Everyone who's been to the new one in Kentucky reports the place is insanely crowded.
Eesh.  That's too bad.  Sounds like when people descended upon the Sonic in Latham, NY en masse...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 25, 2022, 02:47:23 PM
Eesh.  That's too bad.  Sounds like when people descended upon the Sonic in Latham, NY en masse...

The first In-N-Burger in the Phoenix area backed up traffic three miles both ways on Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard in Scottsdale the day it opened.  My office was across the parking lot, I walked right in and had my food within 15 minutes.  Getting home was nuts for about a week.

Also, Adam's take on Buc-ee's in St. Augustine:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/04/i-went-to-buc-ees-and-came-away.html?m=1

Scott5114

The way that Northeasterners mob Sonic is hilarious here in Oklahoma. Around here Sonic is part of the small-town starter pack (you can put it across the street from your Dollar General and next to your Love's).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2022, 08:26:36 PM
The way that Northeasterners mob Sonic is hilarious here in Oklahoma. Around here Sonic is part of the small-town starter pack (you can put it across the street from your Dollar General and next to your Love's).

What I like to call the Texas Trinity:  Sonic, Subway, Dairy Queen
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Yep, I agree.  Even just down the road in NJ and DE, it ain't that special.  And yet, the Capital District went crazy over it.

Then again, the most popular restaurants were Olive Garden and Red Lobster...A whole lot of people in Albany and Upstate NY in general don't know what good food is.

Not sure if the locations in central NY were ever mobbed like that, but now they're struggling.  One location in Syracuse seems to change managment monthly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2022, 06:40:49 PM

The first In-N-Burger in the Phoenix area backed up traffic three miles both ways on Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard in Scottsdale the day it opened.  My office was across the parking lot, I walked right in and had my food within 15 minutes.  Getting home was nuts for about a week.

Even a new location of a known quantity can draw crowds. There was some hoopla recently about the opening of another Chick-Fil-A in Lexington. Never mind that there are already existing locations. The constabulary was preparing for traffic jams around the new store.

chrisdiaz

I went to the grand opening of the location in Florence, SC earlier today!! At the ribbon cutting, Governor McMaster and owner Arch "Beaver" Aplin were there.

Max Rockatansky

There is an Arch Beaver?  Is this like an Arch Vile in Beaver form or an Arch Bishop Beaver spreading the good news of Buc-ee's?

snowc

Quote from: chrisdiaz on May 17, 2022, 12:24:02 AM
I went to the grand opening of the location in Florence, SC earlier today!! At the ribbon cutting, Governor McMaster and owner Arch "Beaver" Aplin were there.
About time! :clap:
Bryce

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on May 17, 2022, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: chrisdiaz on May 17, 2022, 12:24:02 AM
About time! :clap:
Bryce

As to what other time?

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wate.com/news/bucees-tn/crossville-buc-ees-sets-grand-opening-date/

Tennessee's first Buc-ee's in Crossville will be opening on June 27th, a week before the 4th of July.

hbelkins

I was finally able to pay a visit to the new Kentucky Buc-ee's today. It was only four miles or so off one of the alternative routes between here and Lexington.

Gas was 20 to 30 cents cheaper than the other gas stations in the Richmond area. It was $4.499 there, while it was between $4.699 and $4.799 everywhere else. A message at the pump indicated that ethanol-free gas is available at some of the pumps. The price was posted inside the store and it's above $5.

How would I describe the store itself? A hybrid of Cracker Barrel, Hobby Lobby, Cabela's, Lowe's, and a standard convenience store. Half the store seemed to be souvenir and home decorative stuff, with some outdoors supplies thrown in. There were grills, smokers, deep fryers, coolers, all sorts of things. They even had bags of deer corn for sale.

There was a touch screen system for ordering burritos, hot dogs, and that type of thing, and a display case/serving station for pastries (I didn't get a sausage kolache today), and the meat sandwiches are prepared and wrapped in the center of the store and kept under heat lamps.

The place was jam-packed. Too many people for my tastes. The gas pumps were very busy. I'm not sure if the proximity to the interstate as the only gas station at that exit was the draw, or the low price (I didn't see any indication of the pump price until I got to the pump.)

It's also pricey. $7.99 for the brisket sandwich, which was tasty, but overpriced for what you get. You can get twice as much meat at Arby's for less money. Jerky was $7.99 for a small bag and twice that for a large bag. (Walmart is cheaper).

Bottom line? I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. It's a novelty, for sure. "Everything's bigger in Texas." The price of gas is worth driving four miles south of the Richmond bypass if you need more than just a splash, but I don't plan on being a frequent customer. Once the newness wears off and the crowds thin out, I may go back, but I won't be making special trips or extra efforts to patronize Buc-ee's.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on April 16, 2022, 09:34:28 PM
I heard something about a Murfreesboro, TN location? Can anyone confirm?

I heard this as well.  I think over off of Joe B Jackson.

Road Hog

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 10:13:53 PM

Yep. My hometown had all three at one point or another. The Sonic and Subway were fairly recent (last 20 years) additions. The DQ came first and shut down in the late 1980s. Its old shell stood unoccupied forever on a fairly busy corner until they knocked it down to put in a 7-Eleven. It was frankly a ghost building landmark forever.

DQ is probably too ashamed to come back here after allowing that.

Back on topic, I'm surprised that Buc-ee's has jumped over entire states to establish a presence in the Deep South. No stores in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana or even Oklahoma yet.

https://buc-ees.com/locations/

ADD: I did see after the fact that Eastern Tennessee is getting a couple of stores.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Road Hog on June 17, 2022, 10:45:52 PM

Yep. My hometown had all three at one point or another. The Sonic and Subway were fairly recent (last 20 years) additions. The DQ came first and shut down in the late 1980s. Its old shell stood unoccupied forever on a fairly busy corner until they knocked it down to put in a 7-Eleven. It was frankly a ghost building landmark forever.

Back on topic, I'm surprised that Buc-ee's has jumped over entire states to establish a presence in the Deep South. No stores in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana or even Oklahoma yet.

ADD: I did see after the fact that Eastern Tennessee is getting a couple of stores.

I know for the fact that Mississippi will be getting one on I-10 in Pass Christian.

hbelkins

The one to be built along I-24 in the Hopkinsville area will be very near the Tennessee line. I'm not sure if it's going in at the Alternate US 41 exit, or the interchange between Alt. 41 and the state line.

I had clicked my trip odometer after filling up with gas there yesterday, and checked my mileage today when I went to the store. It's a little more than 31 miles from Buc-ee's to home. My commute to work is between 30 and 32 miles depending on which route I take between home and Beattyville. But I still don't foresee myself being a frequent Buc-ee's customer.

But if a Sheetz was that close...

rlb2024

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 17, 2022, 11:23:35 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 17, 2022, 10:45:52 PM

I know for the fact that Mississippi will be getting one on I-10 in Pass Christian.
The first Buc-ee's outside of Texas was originally slated for the Baton Rouge area a few years ago.  In typical Louisiana fashion, however, too many people had their hands out and Buc-ee's went in a different direction.  I don't know that the proposed BR location (I-12 at Millerville) would have worked out as it is pretty congested.

I've seen that the Mississippi I-10 location is slated to open in 2025.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2022, 08:44:53 PM
I was finally able to pay a visit to the new Kentucky Buc-ee's today. It was only four miles or so off one of the alternative routes between here and Lexington.

Gas was 20 to 30 cents cheaper than the other gas stations in the Richmond area. It was $4.499 there, while it was between $4.699 and $4.799 everywhere else. A message at the pump indicated that ethanol-free gas is available at some of the pumps. The price was posted inside the store and it's above $5.

How would I describe the store itself? A hybrid of Cracker Barrel, Hobby Lobby, Cabela's, Lowe's, and a standard convenience store. Half the store seemed to be souvenir and home decorative stuff, with some outdoors supplies thrown in. There were grills, smokers, deep fryers, coolers, all sorts of things. They even had bags of deer corn for sale.

There was a touch screen system for ordering burritos, hot dogs, and that type of thing, and a display case/serving station for pastries (I didn't get a sausage kolache today), and the meat sandwiches are prepared and wrapped in the center of the store and kept under heat lamps.

The place was jam-packed. Too many people for my tastes. The gas pumps were very busy. I'm not sure if the proximity to the interstate as the only gas station at that exit was the draw, or the low price (I didn't see any indication of the pump price until I got to the pump.)

It's also pricey. $7.99 for the brisket sandwich, which was tasty, but overpriced for what you get. You can get twice as much meat at Arby's for less money. Jerky was $7.99 for a small bag and twice that for a large bag. (Walmart is cheaper).

Bottom line? I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. It's a novelty, for sure. "Everything's bigger in Texas." The price of gas is worth driving four miles south of the Richmond bypass if you need more than just a splash, but I don't plan on being a frequent customer. Once the newness wears off and the crowds thin out, I may go back, but I won't be making special trips or extra efforts to patronize Buc-ee's.
I drove by this Buc-ee's last week on my trip to and from the Savannah, GA area.  I noticed something new going south but couldn't really tell what it was as I couldn't read the sign because of the early morning sun glare.  However, on the way back home, we encountered a traffic slowdown as I-75 was in the process of being repaved between Exits 83 and 87.  That's when we saw that this was a Buc-ee's and the approximately 100 gas pumps.  :wow:  My wife commented that this was supposed to be a big deal from what she had read about the company.  I told her that there was a thread about this company on our forum and reviews were more favorable than unfavorable.  We may visit this location if we head down south again just to see what the noise is about. 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

^^^

It's hard to see the facility from the interstate going south because of the topography of the area and the exit, and also because it's in the southeast corner of the interchange. However, Buc-ee's has invested in logo signage on the interstate. I don't remember any blue signs being posted at that exit before, but Buc-ee's has its logo on both a GAS and a FOOD sign preceding Exit 83.

Yes, there's a paving project underway and it's had traffic dog-knotted. Back in the late 1980s-early 1990s, when that section of I-75 was two lanes in each direction, they were also paving it. I had to make a weekly run every Friday from Irvine, Ky. to London, via Richmond. I got very familiar with US 25 from Richmond through Berea to Mt. Vernon to avoid the backups.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wtoc.com/2022/07/06/could-buc-ees-be-coming-glynn-county/

Buc-ee's could be building one in the coastal region of Georgia in Glynn County (Brunswick).

kevinb1994

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 06, 2022, 06:13:08 PM
https://www.wtoc.com/2022/07/06/could-buc-ees-be-coming-glynn-county/

Buc-ee's could be building one in the coastal region of Georgia in Glynn County (Brunswick).
That would help offset traffic at the one nearby (in St. Johns County near St. Augustine).

They were talking about this on one of the local news stations.

EDIT: https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/glynn-county/buc-ees-brunswick-could-mega-gas-station-be-coming-southeast-georgia/G3QCMLNVYVBZDBRNBUJ3UDEEZU/

Interesting that Action News would pick up this story, but it's more or less Georgia anyway.

D-Dey65

I finally went to the one on International Golf Parkway on thursday. I've heard about the one in Daytona Beach, and there have been times that I could swear people thought they were one in the same.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/springfield-missouri-bucees-groundbreaking/63-7c5e2332-ab57-4ef0-a848-60e1f62d51f3

Buc-ee's is breaking ground on the 53,000 square feet and 120 gas pumps in Springfield, MO on August 23rd (Tuesday). It's going to be located at 3284 N. Mulroy Road.

formulanone

These giant-sized stores are a little too big; yeah, it's nice not waiting for a stall but threading through one that's jam-packed with people milling around in utter confusion gets a little annoying. I took the kids through the one off LPGA Boulevard last month and they were a little surprised but annoyed at the crowd sizes. Parking is ridiculous but at least there's a spot somewhere. Maybe one day they'll have a tram...

Everything is priced higher than most convenience stores, but still less than an airport shop. Dang it, those beaver nuggets are good nibbling and at least they keep them close to the register.

Side note: about 2-3 hours later, we later stopped at a Busy Bee off I-10, and it's like a 1:3 scale Bucee's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.