News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

In an Alternate Universe... (Sports Edition)

Started by Henry, May 19, 2020, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 25, 2020, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 25, 2020, 10:45:10 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 25, 2020, 08:59:53 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on May 24, 2020, 05:49:56 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on May 24, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
What if the USFL merged with the NFL after its first season in 1983? i can see the NFL as part of the merger taking the 4 playoff teams that year (Philadelphia Stars, Michigan Panthers, Chicago Blitz, and Oakland Invaders) as well as the 4 top teams in attendance of non playoff teams (Tampa Bay Bandits, New Jersey Generals, Denver Gold, and Boston Breakers). what happens to the NFL as we know it after that?

Since the NFL had the upper hand, they could have moved all USFL franchises located in NFL markets into new cities.  The owners of the USFL teams would have been grateful just to have a place in the league.

I know we are dealing with hypotheticals here, but if the NFL wanted to place teams into markets where a USFL team would be relocated, it would have been easier simply to put an expansion franchise there.  That way they get to choose the owner.

The USFL had one particular owner Pete Rozelle had told, in no uncertain terms, "you will never, under any circumstances, own an NFL team."

I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

So maybe the alternate universe is Trump gets an NFL team, never goes into politics, and John Kasich is President right now.
Thought Ted Cruz was the runner up?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2020, 11:12:16 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 25, 2020, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 25, 2020, 10:45:10 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 25, 2020, 08:59:53 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on May 24, 2020, 05:49:56 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on May 24, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
What if the USFL merged with the NFL after its first season in 1983? i can see the NFL as part of the merger taking the 4 playoff teams that year (Philadelphia Stars, Michigan Panthers, Chicago Blitz, and Oakland Invaders) as well as the 4 top teams in attendance of non playoff teams (Tampa Bay Bandits, New Jersey Generals, Denver Gold, and Boston Breakers). what happens to the NFL as we know it after that?

Since the NFL had the upper hand, they could have moved all USFL franchises located in NFL markets into new cities.  The owners of the USFL teams would have been grateful just to have a place in the league.

I know we are dealing with hypotheticals here, but if the NFL wanted to place teams into markets where a USFL team would be relocated, it would have been easier simply to put an expansion franchise there.  That way they get to choose the owner.

The USFL had one particular owner Pete Rozelle had told, in no uncertain terms, "you will never, under any circumstances, own an NFL team."

I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

So maybe the alternate universe is Trump gets an NFL team, never goes into politics, and John Kasich is President right now.
Thought Ted Cruz was the runner up?

He was, but I remember reading something about Kasich being the second choice of the majority of those who voted for Trump in the primary so that's why I went with that. No way to know for sure.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

cwf1701

What if the Colts beat the Jets in Super Bowl III? Had that happened, The NFL would not move Baltimore to the AFC in 1970 and instead send three teams that finished last in 1968. In 1970 the NFL would have looked like this:

NFC East: Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Colts
NFC Central: Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns
NFC West: Rams Cardinals, Cowboys, 49ers, Saints

AFC East: Jets, Bills, Falcons, Patriots
AFC Central: Steelers, Bengals, Lions, Dolphins
AFC West: Chiefs, Oilers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders

The 1976 NFL season would look like this:

NFC Central: Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Seahawks

AFC Central: Steelers, Bengals, Lions, Dolphins, Chiefs
AFC West: Buccaneers, Oilers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders

in 1977 this is the NFL lineup:

NFC Central: Bears, Packers, Vikings, Browns, Buccaneers

AFC Central: Steelers, Bengals, Lions, Dolphins, Chiefs
AFC West: Seahawks, Oilers, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders

by Moving the Lions and Falcons to the AFC instead of the Colts and Browns, how does history differ after 1970?

SEWIGuy

I know you are dealing in hypotheticals here, but the NFL paid the Colts, Steelers and Browns to move.  And the only reason the Steelers agreed was if the Browns went with them and would be in the same division.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 26, 2020, 01:49:38 PM
I know you are dealing in hypotheticals here, but the NFL paid the Colts, Steelers and Browns to move.  And the only reason the Steelers agreed was if the Browns went with them and would be in the same division.

Plus the Lions would never have given up twice a year games against the Bears and Packers.

cwf1701

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2020, 01:59:37 PM

Plus the Lions would never have given up twice a year games against the Bears and Packers.
Tell that to the Red Wings in 2010, before they got moved from the Western conference to the Eastern Conference. The Wings had a rivalry with the Avalanche and played them up to 10 times a years (including playoffs). I can see likely the Lions having a choice, keep the Bears and Packers, but lose the Thanksgiving day game, or moving to the AFC, and playing on Thanksgiving. I think the Lions will choose playing on Thanksgiving Day.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cwf1701 on May 27, 2020, 03:44:39 PM

Tell that to the Red Wings in 2010, before they got moved from the Western conference to the Eastern Conference. The Wings had a rivalry with the Avalanche and played them up to 10 times a years (including playoffs). I can see likely the Lions having a choice, keep the Bears and Packers, but lose the Thanksgiving day game, or moving to the AFC, and playing on Thanksgiving. I think the Lions will choose playing on Thanksgiving Day.

I don't know why the NFL would have extorted the Lions like that.

The Red Wings moved to the East because of time zones. They didn't want to be the only team on EST in their conference. Too many away games starting later. Not a consideration in the NFL.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 27, 2020, 03:46:48 PM

The Red Wings moved to the East because of time zones. They didn't want to be the only team on EST in their conference. Too many away games starting later. Not a consideration in the NFL.

Right.  The NFL didn't extort any teams.  They asked for volunteers and paid them.  The Steelers and Browns went as a combination as long as they could be in the same division.  The Colts went because they didn't want to play in a division with two west coast teams any longer and when they were given a spot in the AFC East, they jumped at it.  (They were in the "Coastal Division" of the western conference with the Rams, Niners and Falcons)  They also thought they could have an easier path to the Super Bowl, which turned out to be the case as they were the first "AFC Champion."

The Saints ended up getting screwed because they were shipped out to the NFC West instead of the Cowboys, who wanted to stay in the NFC East with the remaining teams from the NFL's Eastern Conference (Giants, Eagles, Skins, Cardinals)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2020, 04:13:03 PM

Right.  The NFL didn't extort any teams.  They asked for volunteers and paid them.  The Steelers and Browns went as a combination as long as they could be in the same division.  The Colts went because they didn't want to play in a division with two west coast teams any longer and when they were given a spot in the AFC East, they jumped at it.  (They were in the "Coastal Division" of the western conference with the Rams, Niners and Falcons)  They also thought they could have an easier path to the Super Bowl, which turned out to be the case as they were the first "AFC Champion."

The Saints ended up getting screwed because they were shipped out to the NFC West instead of the Cowboys, who wanted to stay in the NFC East with the remaining teams from the NFL's Eastern Conference (Giants, Eagles, Skins, Cardinals)

I know the NFL didn't actually extort anyone, but I was responding to the suggestion that the Lions could have been given the choice between keeping their division rivals or their Thanksgiving Day game. I don't think the NFL would have done that.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 27, 2020, 04:20:57 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2020, 04:13:03 PM

I know the NFL didn't actually extort anyone, but I was responding to the suggestion that the Lions could have been given the choice between keeping their division rivals or their Thanksgiving Day game. I don't think the NFL would have done that.

Which is why I started with "right."  I was agreeing with your statement.  Sorry, should have been more clear.

thspfc

Packers stay in Milwaukee, fail, Milwaukee is left with no pro teams (since the Brewers and Bucks would not have moved there if they saw another team go down in that city).

Stephane Dumas

If the NFL-AFL merger was different and lead to the creation of the MLF (Major League Football) instead?

Had the USFL keep staying as a Spring Football league?

Takumi

1994: The MLB strike never happens, the Expos win the World Series, and are in Montreal to this day. In 2012, MLB expands by two teams: the Washington Nationals, and the promotion of the Charlotte Knights, both of whom join the AL to even the leagues at 16 teams each. MLB expands into four divisions for each league.

AL East: Baltimore, Boston, New York Yankees, Cleveland
AL North: Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago White Sox
AL South: Charlotte, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Washington
AL West: LA Angels, Oakland, Seattle, Texas
NL Central: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL East: Montreal, New York Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
NL South: Arizona, Atlanta, Florida, Houston
NL West: Colorado, LA Dodgers, San Francisco, San Diego
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cwf1701

March 2020: As the Covid-19 outbreak starts to happen, The NFL makes a surprise announcement for the 2020 season. The NFL would alter the 2020 season to a 12 game Division only season with only the Division Winners to go to the playoffs. For the Pandemic season, the NFL would also realline the divisions to a more regional version to shorten travel for some teams: the 2020 NFL Pandemic divisions would be

NFC West: Seattle San Francisco, LA Rams, LA Chargers
AFC West: Las Vegas, Arizona, Denver, Dallas

NFC North: Minnesota, Kansas City, Green Bay, Chicago
AFC North: Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati

AFC East: Buffalo, Pittsburgh, New England, New York jets
NFC  East: New York giants, Washington, Philadelphia, Carolina

AFC South Houston, Tennessee, Miami, Jacksonville
NFC South Baltimore, New Orleans, Atlanta, Tampa Bay

When the pandemic ends (whenever that is), all teams would return to their normal divisions. 

Takumi

A couple motorsports what-ifs:

1. What if Ayrton Senna had gone to Williams in 1992? His agent claimed earlier this year that he had a contract offer from the team, and was leaning towards signing with them, but was convinced by Honda to stay at McLaren. After Honda's planned engine upgrade to fight the Williams-Renault V10 didn't materialize for "˜92, Senna tried to sign with the team for "˜93, but was blocked by his rival Alain Prost, who had already signed with the team earlier in the year and had a contract stipulation that Senna could not be his teammate while he was there. After Prost retired a year later, Senna did go to Williams, where he was uncomfortable with the car, ultimately ending in his untimely death. Had he gone over there two years prior, I think the following events happen:
-Senna and Nigel Mansell are teammates for 1992. Alain Prost returns to McLaren alongside Gerhard Berger. Riccardo Patrese takes Prost's former seat at Ferrari. Senna outduels Mansell to the title, giving him 3 and a row and 4 overall.
-Mansell still leaves F1 for CART, still swapping places with Michael Andretti. Senna walks to the 1993 title, with teammate Andretti a distant second after having less difficulty adjusting to F1 than he would have at McLaren. Prost announces 1994 will be his final F1 season. Patrese retires, with fellow Italian Gianni Morbidelli replacing him at Ferrari.
-For 1994, the Williams' technical restrictions still happen, but the car is a bit closer to Senna's liking, meaning he doesn't have the fateful steering column failure at Imola. Still, he pushes for stricter safety measures as two major accidents at Imola see Senna's protege Rubens Barrichello seriously injured and Roland Ratzenberger killed. The Benetton of Michael Schumacher proves stronger over the course of the season, ending Senna's title streak, and Senna's suspicions of the team using illegal traction control measures are shown to be unfounded. (Senna did think this at the time of his death, in reality.) Prost retires and is replaced at McLaren by Damon Hill, while Morbidelli is dropped by Ferrari in favor of little-known Finn Mika Hakkinen.
-Senna gets his revenge in 1995, starting a streak of three consecutive championships as the Williams regains its form from earlier in the decade.
-Schumacher leaves Benetton for Ferrari in 1996, keeping Hakkinen on as his teammate. Andretti returns to America, replaced at Williams by young Canadian Jacques Villeneuve.
-In 1997, rumors begin stirring that Renault plans to leave F1 at the end of the year, and that Honda is considering a factory return, having only been in the sport via the founder's son's company Mugen since leaving after 1992. Senna meets up with Alain Prost, now the owner of the former Ligier team under the name Prost Grand Prix, with their relationship having improved tremendously since Prost's retirement (as was the case in reality, by many accounts), and talks to the bosses at Honda about a factory effort. 1998 is a learning year for the team, but Senna still wins two races, with Barichello joining him at the team for 1999. Schumacher guides Ferrari to a 1-2 title finish. (In reality, Prost swapped engine suppliers with the Jordan team for 1998, getting the woeful Peugeot engines while Jordan got the Mugen-Honda engines, which eventually became factory Honda engines at the turn of the century.)
-In 1999 and 2000, Senna wins two more titles with Prost-Honda and announces his retirement, and is replaced by fellow South American Juan Pablo Montoya. Barichello goes to Ferrari after 2001, when Hakkinen retires. Montoya and Schumacher trade titles through the first half of the decade, until Schumacher retires and Montoya returns to American racing.

2. What if Davey Allison didn't die in his helicopter crash? I haven't fleshed this one out as much, but although Earnhardt's death was orders of magnitude more notable, Davey's death caused a lot of seats to move in NASCAR in the mid 90s (as did Alan Kulwicki's, to a lesser extent). Here's what I have so far:
-Ernie Irvan doesn't replace Davey at Yates. Davey wins the 1994 Winston Cup title. (In reality, Irvan was running a close second in points behind Earnhardt at the time of the crash that ended his season, and nearly his life, so I think Davey could have matched him, and maybe come out on top.)
-Dale Jarrett doesn't replace Irvan, in turn, and stays at Gibbs. Yates does expand to two cars, with Bobby Labonte joining Allison in the new #88 car.
-Hendrick still dominates the latter half of the 90s, though Davey wins a second title in 1999. Jarrett wins Gibbs' first title in 2000.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mgk920

Going back much farther, until the latter part of the mid 19th century, the major game in the USA was cricket.  Yes, the same game that is played extensively to this day in much of the former British Empire.  The soldiers of Washington's Continental Army played it during their free time while fighting in the American Revolution.  The first ever international cricket match was played between teams from (modern day) Canada and the USA in NYC in 1844.  What happened to it here?

By the time of the USA's Civil War, forces were pushing to professionalize the game, much like professional team sports are now.  The people who ruled the sport in North America, especially in the USA, strongly resisted that, while that trend was embraced elsewhere.  The result is that it became the national passion that it is now in places like Australia, India and Pakistan, while it ended up quickly dying out in North America.  I have seen commentary on the fact that India and Pakistan play international 'Test' cricket matches against each other every couple of years as being a primary reason why there hasn't been a major, devastating war between the two since the time of India's independence from Britain.

Cricket thus dying out in North America left a void in warm weather team sports that was quickly filled by a variant of Rounders that evolved into the Baseball that remains popular today.

What if the people who ruled Cricket in North America during the mid 19th century had similarly embraced professionalism like they did overseas?

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

I believe in such an universe where the USA embraces pro cricket during the mid 19th century would result on it being currently the major, most played sport worldwide instead of association football (which would have remained secondary), with major competitions emerging all across Europe in the late 19th/early 20th century as well. Here in Spain each province would have its own cricket team, and I would be cheering for Huesca Cricket Club instead of SD Huesca (and an oval would exist where the Alcoraz stadium stands now).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mgk920

I do find it kind of interesting in that with the number of immigrants in the USA from parts of the World where cricket is big (especially India) that it isn't bigger here than it is now, perhaps enough so to be able to field a competent, competitive national team.  Not that long ago I did see a pickup game being played in an area in my home metro area (Appleton, WI) that has a fairly high neighborhood concentration of immigrant Asian Indians, so you never know.

Mike

cwf1701

Going to a different event, What the Loma Prieta earthquake struck on November 17, 1968 at 7:00PM (EST) instead of October 17 at 8:04PM (EDT). several questions could come up:

(1) If both the east coast (like in our time line) and West coast feed of the game is disrupted, How fast could NBC get in contact with the people assigned to the Oakland Coliseum?

(2) Does a earthquake in 1968 delay the rule changes made for broadcasters following the "Heidi Game" for a couple of years?

(3) If the Oakland Coliseum is damaged beyond repair, could this affect where the A's play in 1969 and the Raiders for the rest of the 1968 AFL season and 1969?

(4) If the A's move to Milwaukee for 1969 and stay for 1970, How does that affect the Seattle Pilots for the 1970 season?

(5) If some of the players are killed in the earthquake, could the NFL/AFL implement the Disaster draft for the Jets and Raiders? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_draft#National_Football_League

SEWIGuy

The Green Bay Packers won their last game of the 1988 season at the Phoenix Cardinals. 

Had they lost that game, they would have fallen into a tie for the worst record in the NFL and would have "won" the tiebreaker with the Cowboys and therefore have the first pick in the 1989 NFL draft.

The Cowboys picked Troy Aikman, who lead them to a decade of success.

The Packers would have certainly Aikman, but instead drafted Tony Mandarich (ahead of the likes of Barry Sanders and Deion Sanders), who was an absolute bust.  This ultimately lead to the downfall of the GM and coach, and the eventual hiring of Ron Wolf and Mike Holgren, and the trade for Brett Favre.

That week 16 win for the Packers significantly changed the fortunes of two NFL franchises.  I would argue it worked out better for both teams.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cwf1701 on July 23, 2020, 01:47:04 PM
Going to a different event, What the Loma Prieta earthquake struck on November 17, 1968 at 7:00PM (EST) instead of October 17 at 8:04PM (EDT). several questions could come up:

(1) If both the east coast (like in our time line) and West coast feed of the game is disrupted, How fast could NBC get in contact with the people assigned to the Oakland Coliseum?

(2) Does a earthquake in 1968 delay the rule changes made for broadcasters following the "Heidi Game" for a couple of years?

(3) If the Oakland Coliseum is damaged beyond repair, could this affect where the A's play in 1969 and the Raiders for the rest of the 1968 AFL season and 1969?

(4) If the A's move to Milwaukee for 1969 and stay for 1970, How does that affect the Seattle Pilots for the 1970 season?

(5) If some of the players are killed in the earthquake, could the NFL/AFL implement the Disaster draft for the Jets and Raiders? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_draft#National_Football_League

Wasn't Loma Prieta in 1989?

Henry

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 23, 2020, 01:56:23 PM

Yes, but this alternate timeline has it happening in '68. It wouldn't have affected Oakland's status as a major-league town, as the A's were already locked in and the Warriors would still move to the Coliseum Arena in 1970.

Here's a huge what-if from 2003:

What if the Red Sox and Cubs had made the World Series back then? Given their ongoing title droughts (at the time, 85 and 95 years, respectively), one team would be guaranteed to end it. Also, thanks to the AL's win in the All-Star Game, Boston would get home-field advantage in the Series, though Chicago would be the more determined team. But I'm glad that everything worked out for both teams, as the Red Sox would win the 2004 World Series (and three more after that), and the Cubs won it all in 2016.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Scott5114

Quote from: Henry on May 20, 2020, 11:13:56 AM
2004: Oklahoma City Thunder form as new expansion team; divisions realign to current setup.

Timeline is a bit off here–Oklahoma City wasn't seriously considered for an NBA franchise until Hurricane Katrina caused the Hornets to play two seasons in OKC, and they got a surprisingly warm welcome from the locals. So Katrina hits in 2005, and you have the Jazz in OKC for 05—06 and 06—07, meaning the earliest the Thunder could form would be 2007, immediately after the Jazz returns to New Orleans.

Unless the Lakers staying in MSP somehow affects the 2002 Atlantic hurricane season. I'm dying to hear how that timeline happens.  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cwf1701

Quote from: Henry on August 03, 2020, 11:57:52 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 23, 2020, 01:56:23 PM

Yes, but this alternate timeline has it happening in '68. It wouldn't have affected Oakland's status as a major-league town, as the A's were already locked in and the Warriors would still move to the Coliseum Arena in 1970.

but in 1989, Candlestick Park did not have its full load when the quake hit, but if if have happened at a time when the Oakland Coliseum was packed, and the quake does damage to the point where the only option Oakland has is to tear down the Coliseum What happens to the Radiers and the A's?

CNGL-Leudimin

It will be interesting in a few years time to make a timeline in which the coronavirus pandemic didn't happen. There would be some changes already by now, with FC Barcelona becoming La Liga champions instead of Real Madrid, and Real Zaragoza coming back after 7 seasons instead of SD Huesca bouncing back.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.