News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenarmy

- NBA players have too much power.
- Excluding cheer as a sport is tired. Like what's the point of arguing against it?
- Ken Miles is underrated
- Dodge was the best brand in NASCAR.
- John Force's resume> your fav athlete's
- Retiring Numbers is perfectly fine.. as long as it's above the high school level.
- The Jets will always suck.
- Franchises should be given a new name if they move states. Like wtf is the Utah Jazz?? New Orleans should be the only one with that name.
- The Browns shouldn't have been revived.
- The Jets deserve the axe.
- The WNBA isn't doing justice for female basketball players. It's like watching something worse than XFL be held out to us.
- Everton FC is a good team. Idk anything about them I just like the name lol
- ALLYSON FELIX IS UNDERRATED AND SHE IS LEGENDARY AF
- Michael Johnson is the superior MJ.
- Hating on Naomi Osaka bc she beat Serena should be left behind.
- Brock Lesnar is overrated, even outside of WWE.
- Bowling> Boxing.

you should literallyyyy add to the list.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

CNGL-Leudimin

- Washington Football Team should be referred to as "the" Football Team, much like any other teams are named by their nicknames.
- This is more personal, but also sports related: Orienteering courses should end with control no. 100 or, more recently, 200.
- Hala Madrid.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

MLS-style penalties (from 35 yards with a dribble) are better than conventional penalty shootouts. Fairer and funner.

MLS teams should stick to American-style names, with few exceptions.

Soccer is a big league sport in the U.S., get over it. It's going to keep growing in key demographics despite being shafted by traditional media.

The tradeoff of fewer commercial breaks for a few ads plastered on the sidelines and jerseys is well worth it.

Adidas jerseys are garbage.

Max Rockatansky

I don't think Ken Miles is underrated at this point.  He was essentially the focal point of one of the best racing movies to come along in a long time in Ford vs Ferrari. 

webny99

Quote from: kenarmy on March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

-The Jets will make the playoffs this season

- Franchises should be given a new name if they move states. Like wtf is the Utah Jazz?? New Orleans should be the only one with that name.

Agreed for the most part. Although Jazz is much more egregious than other examples. Most names could transcend state boundaries with a little more grace than Jazz.

webny99

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 31, 2021, 03:12:26 AM
- Washington Football Team should be referred to as "the" Football Team, much like any other teams are named by their nicknames.

I'm fine with The Football Team, Football Team, or just Washington. I will insist, however, that WFT is not used. That looks ridiculously ugly, not to mention the fact that it's way to easy to confuse with WTF.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 09:44:27 AM

Agreed for the most part. Although Jazz is much more egregious than other examples. Most names could transcend state boundaries with a little more grace than Jazz.

How does the "Los Angeles Lakers"  make any sense as a team name.  It made sense when they were in Minnesota.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2021, 09:53:35 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 09:44:27 AM

How does the "Los Angeles Lakers"  make any sense as a team name.  It made sense when they were in Minnesota.

You think that's bad, The Los Angeles Angels translates to The The Angels Angels.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2021, 09:53:35 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 09:47:46 AM

That's another extreme one, but at least there are lakes everywhere and lakes aren't necessarily associated with a particular state/region like Jazz is.

JayhawkCO

I don't know how many of these are unpopular per se:

• Professional hockey teams should not be in cities that receive less than 6" of snow per year
  • College basketball should work like college football where, if you play in college, you need to be there for three years
  • Three point line should be moved back since shooters are becoming so much better (thanks Steph/Dame)
  • Boxing results should be verified by an independent council and if a judge has completely screwed up a result, never be a judge again
  • Men's college basketball should go to quarters instead of halves
  • The NCAA basketball tournament should go back to 64 teams
  • The NCAA basketball tournament should be played in college arenas instead of massive stadiums
  • College baseball should use wooden bats (obviously they'd need revenue to supplement the cost.  NCAA makes plenty)
  • NCAA players should be able to be paid since they're clearly employees
  • Players shouldn't have to wait a year if they transfer if their coach left

Chris

interstatefan990

Unpopular opinions threads are taking over the forum.  :-D

As for this one, I think no state should have more than one team in the NBA. For example, there shouldn't be both a New York Knicks and a Brooklyn Nets.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

hotdogPi

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 12:31:16 PM
As for this one, I think no state should have more than one team in the NBA.

California has 1/8 of the US population. Are you saying that the entire state only gets one team? If Los Angeles has a team, what happens to the Bay Area?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

CtrlAltDel

Except in tournament, and other similar, situations, overtime should not exist. If you didn't win in regulation, then you didn't win at all.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hotdogPi

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 31, 2021, 12:33:21 PM
Except in tournament, and other similar, situations, overtime should not exist. If you didn't win in regulation, then you didn't win at all.

I would even go further – in basketball and football, if it's tied at the end, whoever reached the current score first wins. (Hockey and soccer have too many 0-0s, and baseball could work if "reached the current score first" is by inning number and number of outs instead of what time it is.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

1.  Sports are way overrated, watching them on TV is a waste of time, and sitting through an entire game of any sport takes too long.

2.  There should be a rule that at least 60% of the members of a team have actually lived in that area for a certain number of years.

3.  Olympians should not be allowed to compete under a different country's flag, except in certain rare circumstances.

4.  Baseball and football are some of the most boring sports out there.  Give me tennis, hockey, or lacrosse any day.

5.  Britain, you need to get over yourself.  There's more than one open golf tournament, so stop calling yours "The Open".

6.  College football is way more interesting than pro.  High school basketball is more interesting than college or pro.

7.  Every jersey should have the person's name on it.

8.  The Tour de France should bring back some old rules from the past, like having to carry their own supplies and do their own maintenance.  Sag wagons have sissied the sport.

9.  It's perfectly acceptable to cheer for both the Cubs and the White Sox.

10.  Extracurricular sports teams have no place in schools.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 12:49:12 PM
2.  There should be a rule that at least 60% of the members of a team have actually lived in that area for a certain number of years.

I'm of mixed feelings about this one. It would be very complicated to implement, and would disadvantage the smaller markets.

A player could also potentially claim local status by virtue of being on the team after a certain number of years. Take Tom Brady, for example. Does it really matter anymore that he wasn't born in New England? He's still a legend there and has lived there for close to half of his life.

interstatefan990

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 12:32:42 PM

California has 1/8 of the US population. Are you saying that the entire state only gets one team? If Los Angeles has a team, what happens to the Bay Area?

What would be wrong with that, though? The NBA teams are the same size regardless of population. And why is the Utah Jazz not called the Salt Lake City Jazz or the Indiana Pacers called the Indianapolis Pacers then?

hotdogPi

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 12:32:42 PM

What would be wrong with that, though? The NBA teams are the same size regardless of population. And why is the Utah Jazz not called the Salt Lake City Jazz or the Indiana Pacers called the Indianapolis Pacers then?

You're saying that only one of Los Angeles and San Fransisco can have a team, but both New York City and Philadelphia can each have one, solely based on where state lines are drawn.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

interstatefan990

Quote from: 1 on March 31, 2021, 01:14:58 PM
You're saying that only one of Los Angeles and San Fransisco can have a team, but both New York City and Philadelphia can each have one, solely based on where state lines are drawn.

And? I fail to see the point you're making here or why exactly it's wrong. Again, the NBA is not population-based, only the number of teams per state is.

hotdogPi

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 01:20:31 PM

And? I fail to see the point you're making here or why exactly it's wrong. Again, the NBA is not population-based, only the number of teams per state is.

New York City is 85 miles from Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is 90 miles from Baltimore.

You would allow 3 separate teams here (no change from before).

Los Angeles is over 300 miles from the Bay Area, and they can't have two separate teams. In any other state except Texas, 300 miles would be very likely cross a state line.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

JayhawkCO

The NBA is 100% population based.  It's based on the size of the media market.  Hence why NY can have two teams but ND doesn't have any.

Chris

webny99

It doesn't make any sense, financially or otherwise, to limit states with multiple large metro areas to a single team.

Since you mentioned the Nets and Knicks, maybe your issue is with two teams being in the same metro?  That I could maybe understand. But if one team was in Buffalo instead of Brooklyn, I don't see the issue (at least not for the purposes of this discussion - whether an NBA team could be successful in Buffalo is another subject).

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 12:57:54 PM

I'm of mixed feelings about this one. It would be very complicated to implement, and would disadvantage the smaller markets.

A player could also potentially claim local status by virtue of being on the team after a certain number of years. Take Tom Brady, for example. Does it really matter anymore that he wasn't born in New England? He's still a legend there and has lived there for close to half of his life.

I'm fine with smaller markets being at a disadvantage.

If a player has lived in an area for ten years by virtue of being on a team, then he is a transplant to that area.  That's his home now.  No problem with that.  But, moving forward, he shouldn't be allowed to play for some other city just because he likes that team's offer better.  He should represent where he's from–whether he's lived there all his life or for _____ years.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 01:33:18 PM

It doesn't make any sense, financially or otherwise, to limit states with multiple large metro areas to a single team.

Since you mentioned the Nets and Knicks, maybe your issue is with two teams being in the same metro?  That I could maybe understand. But if one team was in Buffalo instead of Brooklyn, I don't see the issue (at least not for the purposes of this discussion - whether an NBA team could be successful in Buffalo is another subject).

Similarly, what if the Nets moved back to Jersey?  Problem solved?

Chris

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2021, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2021, 12:57:54 PM

I'm fine with smaller markets being at a disadvantage.

If a player has lived in an area for ten years by virtue of being on a team, then he is a transplant to that area.  That's his home now.  No problem with that.  But, moving forward, he shouldn't be allowed to play for some other city just because he likes that team's offer better.  He should represent where he's from–whether he's lived there all his life or for _____ years.

I personally disagree with your viewpoint, but I could see something like English soccer where you have to have a certain amount of domestic players on your roster.  It does have the negative impact of inflating those players' values a.k.a. the English tax.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.