News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VA Turnpike

Started by Angelo71, April 22, 2021, 07:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2021, 10:43:56 AM
Straying into fictional territory, but I do think a zipper setup might work on a shorter section of 95...I'm thinking Woodbridge to Springfield.  South of Woodbridge (really Prince William Pkwy), there's more room in the median so better able to build two express carriageways.  Likewise, north of Springfield I don't think anything bigger than what exists would work.

Downside of having express lanes in both directions is you'd by standard need to have at least one semi-full paved shoulder on each side.  That would be tough to do through Newington.
Some regions have gotten away without providing a shoulder, and merely have a setup similar to I-495 but with the inner lane pressed up on the wall, usually due to restricted right of way constraints. Not suggesting it for this region, but it is an option.

Hampton Roads's currently under construction system will feature at least two portions that will have 1 HO/T lane in each direction, plus a paved shoulder that will be opened up during peak hours to provide 2. During those peak hours, there would be no shoulder. IMO, they should merely just make it a full-time 2 lanes each way to at least allow passing slower vehicles. Implement technology along the corridor that can close the shoulder lane if needed for an emergency, but otherwise let it operate full time.

Angelo71

A Virginia Turnpike could be I-81 until I-66, and then I-66 then to I-95 then I-64?
Or there could be multiple
Virginia Turnpike-Blue Ridge Turnpike I-81
Virginia Turnpike-Coastal Turnpike I-95 and then I-64

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 01, 2021, 11:25:04 AM
Straying into fictional territory, but I do think a zipper setup might work on a shorter section of 95...I'm thinking Woodbridge to Springfield.  South of Woodbridge (really Prince William Pkwy), there's more room in the median so better able to build two express carriageways.  Likewise, north of Springfield I don't think anything bigger than what exists would work.

Downside of having express lanes in both directions is you'd by standard need to have at least one semi-full paved shoulder on each side.  That would be tough to do through Newington.
Some regions have gotten away without providing a shoulder, and merely have a setup similar to I-495 but with the inner lane pressed up on the wall, usually due to restricted right of way constraints. Not suggesting it for this region, but it is an option.

Hampton Roads's currently under construction system will feature at least two portions that will have 1 HO/T lane in each direction, plus a paved shoulder that will be opened up during peak hours to provide 2. During those peak hours, there would be no shoulder. IMO, they should merely just make it a full-time 2 lanes each way to at least allow passing slower vehicles. Implement technology along the corridor that can close the shoulder lane if needed for an emergency, but otherwise let it operate full time.

I believe VDOT's wariness of that sort of thing comes in part from their experience with I-95 between Springfield and Woodbridge. At one point in the late 1980s or early 1990s, the right shoulder was designated as a lane to be used in rush hours only. Problem was, some people ignored that restriction, and it resulted in multiple crashes, including an ugly fatal crash when a tractor-trailer being driven in that lane illegally when it wasn't opened to traffic slammed into a disabled Mustang. That experience is one reason why I-66 had the colored shoulder "lane" with the red X/green arrow overhead indicators. Of course some people ignored those too, but on the whole compliance was better (or should I say "less bad"?) than it was on I-95. I think at one point on I-95 they gave up and declared the shoulder to be a full-time lane. I don't like that idea a lot because cars don't always have the decency to break down near the "emergency pull-off" areas. My mom's old car broke down on westbound I-66 during the morning rush hour in 2008 or 2009, and the car she had before that also broke down on westbound I-66 when my brother was driving it (the radiator cracked suddenly)–I guess the lesson there is, Mom, stay off I-66, but in all seriousness that sort of thing makes me all the more aware of the hazard of not having a shoulder.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 01, 2021, 12:07:33 PM
A Virginia Turnpike could be I-81 until I-66, and then I-66 then to I-95 then I-64?
Fictional Highways
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Angelo71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 05:08:35 PM
Fictional Highways
How? It uses current interstates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on May 01, 2021, 05:48:27 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 01, 2021, 05:08:35 PM
Fictional Highways
How? It uses current interstates.
But it's a fictional plan not being considered by VDOT.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Mapmikey

There is at least one segment of the 95 express lanes with no full shoulder on both sides as it is now. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 01, 2021, 05:06:46 PM

I believe VDOT's wariness of that sort of thing comes in part from their experience with I-95 between Springfield and Woodbridge. At one point in the late 1980s or early 1990s, the right shoulder was designated as a lane to be used in rush hours only. Problem was, some people ignored that restriction, and it resulted in multiple crashes, including an ugly fatal crash when a tractor-trailer being driven in that lane illegally when it wasn't opened to traffic slammed into a disabled Mustang. That experience is one reason why I-66 had the colored shoulder "lane" with the red X/green arrow overhead indicators. Of course some people ignored those too, but on the whole compliance was better (or should I say "less bad"?) than it was on I-95. I think at one point on I-95 they gave up and declared the shoulder to be a full-time lane. I don't like that idea a lot because cars don't always have the decency to break down near the "emergency pull-off" areas. My mom's old car broke down on westbound I-66 during the morning rush hour in 2008 or 2009, and the car she had before that also broke down on westbound I-66 when my brother was driving it (the radiator cracked suddenly)–I guess the lesson there is, Mom, stay off I-66, but in all seriousness that sort of thing makes me all the more aware of the hazard of not having a shoulder.

Also, that interim HOV-3 lane (left lane when restricted) never worked especially well (and a similar concurrent-flow HOV lanes on I-66 between U.S. 29 at Gainesville and I-495 was never especially effective either).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

IMO I-95 SHOULD be a turnpike from I-295 to exit 126 when it goes to the HOT/Express.
Those funds could pay for I-95 to be 8 lanes (4-4) from I-295 to exit 126.

6 lanes is NOT sufficient there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.