News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funny Signs

Started by haljackey, February 05, 2009, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quoting a 4+ year old post of a fake sign?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mass_citizen

Quote from: V'Ger on April 08, 2009, 05:46:53 AM

I believe the bridge being out is more important than the sharp edges of the sign.  It doesn't even look sharp since the edges are round.

its actually the corners that are round. The edges are still sharp.

jbnv

Don't know if any of these were posted (there are a lot of broken images in this thread--I did read the whole thing before posting.)

Here are some I'm familiar with:

This is two separate destinations, not some sort of religious farm.

Don't let this sign fool you; there's only one of them.

If I ever write a fantasy novel, I'm naming my heroine this.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

CNGL-Leudimin

Oh, s**t! This is a well known one among Spanish users, and it has been the case for almost a decade now.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Quote from: jbnv on March 16, 2015, 09:40:09 PMDon't let this sign fool you; there's only one of them.

Has the long-standing battle between Nagadoches and Nachitoches been resolved yet? ;)

Brandon

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 18, 2015, 10:37:36 AM
Oh, s**t! This is a well known one among Spanish users, and it has been the case for almost a decade now.

I'm surprised we don't see pictures of UK tourists under those signs the way we do with them in Fucking, Austria,
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on March 16, 2015, 09:40:09 PM
Don't know if any of these were posted (there are a lot of broken images in this thread--I did read the whole thing before posting.)

Here are some I'm familiar with:

This is two separate destinations, not some sort of religious farm.

Don't let this sign fool you; there's only one of them.

If I ever write a fantasy novel, I'm naming my heroine this.

Actually, one sub-hobby of mine in roadgeeking is finding exit signs whose town names sound like a first and last name.

Like... Beverly Carneiro.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 18, 2015, 10:37:36 AM

In a different but similar vein, there is a restaurant called "Chingon Pollo"  opening in Arlington County, Virginia:

http://wtop.com/arlington/2015/03/restaurant-with-questionable-spanish-name-opening-on-glebe-road/

Quote"Chingon"  is a Spanish slang term that is often used as a compliment, but it's a conjugation of the verb "chingar,"  which in Mexico roughly translates to the English profanity that begins with "F."  ARLnow.com asked a Spanish speaker how she would interpret the name "Chingon Pollo."

"Chingar is to f-ck and -on means real big "˜ol, so literally "˜real big ol f-cker' but figuratively like "˜big f-cking' something,"  she said, declining to be identified. The whole name could mean "like a f-ckload of chicken, or possibly really hardcore badass chicken, but more literally a f-ckload."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

From the Niobrara National Scenic River:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.