News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US 60/US 70 on Jack Rabbit Trail

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 21, 2022, 04:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Borrowing my description on Gribblenation for simplicity:

When US Route 60 was originally extended (1931) into California it followed Jack Rabbit Trail through the Moreno Valley Badlands from Beaumont west towards Riverside.  Jack Rabbit Trail was originally constructed during 1897 without survey and was modernized by 1916.  Jack Rabbit Trail was paved by Riverside County during 1924 and became part of Legislative Route Number 19 during 1931.  Jack Rabbit Trail briefly was part of the initial route description of US Route 70 when it was extended into California during 1934.  US Route 60 was moved to a new grade bypassing Jack Rabbit Trail which opened through the Moreno Valley Badlands during 1935.  This blog explores the history of Jack Rabbit Trail and how it became part of two major US Routes for a short time. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/03/former-us-route-60-70-on-jack-rabbit.html

As an aside I'm really surprised the CHPW only ever hit on the replacement of Jack Rabbit Trail as a major article once.  Considering 19 miles of highway was replaced this was a major undertaking. 

skluth

Any idea if the current access of CA 60 to Jack Rabbit Trail will be kept once the new lanes through the Badlands are complete? It would be fairly simple to connect it to the new Potrero Blvd which bridges over CA 60. Honestly, looking at the GSV I'm amazed you drove it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on March 21, 2022, 08:40:47 PM
Any idea if the current access of CA 60 to Jack Rabbit Trail will be kept once the new lanes through the Badlands are complete? It would be fairly simple to connect it to the new Potrero Blvd which bridges over CA 60. Honestly, looking at the GSV I'm amazed you drove it.

Didn't drive, walked part of it on foot.  I ran it back in 2012 when I was on a work trip in Menifee.  It is about maybe three miles long, at the time I thought that I could make it through in a car if I carried a shovel with me.  I don't think Caltrans wants to build a full interchange with CA 60 given it is largely just a private parcel of land on Jack Rabbit Trail south from there. 

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2022, 08:44:32 PM

Didn't drive, walked part of it on foot.  I ran it back in 2012 when I was on a work trip in Menifee.  It is about maybe three miles long, at the time I thought that I could make it through in a car if I carried a shovel with me.  I don't think Caltrans wants to build a full interchange with CA 60 given it is largely just a private parcel of land on Jack Rabbit Trail south from there.

I drove it in a 2WD passenger car once, but that was over 15 years ago I think. I don't recall finding it too scary, but a lot can change in that much time. (I've also driven the dirt part of CA-173 a couple times, but I don't think would be passable at all any more.)

I'm a little surprised that San Timoteo Canyon was never the route of a major highway, since it's a nice easy valley.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on March 21, 2022, 10:40:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2022, 08:44:32 PM

I drove it in a 2WD passenger car once, but that was over 15 years ago I think. I don't recall finding it too scary, but a lot can change in that much time. (I've also driven the dirt part of CA-173 a couple times, but I don't think would be passable at all any more.)

I'm a little surprised that San Timoteo Canyon was never the route of a major highway, since it's a nice easy valley.

Usually the railroads grabbed up the best grades in the 19th century, San Timoteo Canyon was no exception.

ClassicHasClass

I doubt they'd eliminate the Jack Rabbit RIRO as long as it was a bigger deal than keeping it. But if they did decide to obliterate it, I have my doubts they'd connect it to Potrero for much the same reason.

skluth

There is still a left turn off WB CA 60. It looks like a RIRO from a distance and I don't think there are many people that turn left there, but it's not a RIRO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.